Open Battle #03: ”Collabed”

Never knowingly one to submit anything unless it’s right before a deadline, here is my collaboration with @Affectionate-Bee-781:

This whole thing was a blast, thanks for the brief @korpinen, and I would definitely do it again!

@Affectionate-Bee-781 was up for anything so I suggested hip-hop as that is what I am comfortable with, but the end result is a bit different in a good way I think. He then sent me a bunch of immaculately played 8 bar riffs in an agreed key and tempo: Matriach, guitar, bass and piano.

I chopped different parts up and added drums on the MPC One (don’t hate me) to come up with a bunch of different patterns. We went back and forth on these to figure out which ones we liked and which ones worked in combination.

I then put together two arrangements, both of which had quite a different vibe. We picked the more mellow one and then I sent the roughly mixed stems to @Affectionate-Bee-781 to do the final mix and mastering…

(The title of the track is Affectionate Bee in Irish as we never discussed this and I had to come up with something before posting! Image credit Photo by Nick Fewings on Unsplash)

10 Likes

Chill hop! I like it!

3 Likes

apologies to @d0nk3y on this one. life’s busy for me at the moment, and it was hard to get into this collab. one thing i learned was that it’s probably important to have an idea how to collaborate in the first place. we’ll keep the idea alive and possibly pass stuff back and forth at some point. so far, all the collabs have been impressive. nice work, everyone!

4 Likes

@HoldMyBeer and @plusn: great freaking job y’all! Grimy and funky at the same time. A real pleasing set of sounds and grooves in this track :clap:t4:

Such a joy working with you @Maisin! I’m noodling most nights on those instruments - it was an honor to have someone take the time to arrange them into a song! And I learned a lot in the mixing process :nerd_face: very grateful to have another set of ears for feedback during that!

:relaxed:

Big thanks again to @korpinen for this fun prompt! I’m all for extending the deadline as needed. There were quite a few proposed collabs that I was excited to hear :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Collabed with @plusn
While @plusn laid the ground and backbeat for the track, I attempted to do something less melodic than usual - and failed :upside_down_face:
Actually I have no clue what @plusn used… But I imported his whole track into live (I guess it was a performance or jam) and arranged melodies on top of it…
My sound sources where Ableton Operator, Wavetable and Audiorealism Abl3…

Hope you enjoy.
Thanks @korpinen for starting this, thanks @plusn for the collab and congrats to all contributors. The entries above all sound superb!

7 Likes

lol yes, that was fun. Sonic Charge uTonic for the drums. Thank you Unifono! I really like your Abl3 programming.

2 Likes

Great job! The mix is so good!

2 Likes

Hello!!!

I’m really looking forward to taking a listen to all of these. Nice work everyone, you got something done!

I’ve just started my summer holidays and plan to finish the project this week. I know the deadline has been extended already and by the sounds of it a little extra time would be ok too. You guys are so cool!

Although it has been very difficult for me to find anytime whatsoever, I am really excited about completing it.

2 Likes

Ah nice. Sounded like a hardware jam to me. So our production is 100% ITB :upside_down_face:

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

That´s what i am saying…Elektron should license Microtonic and put it in a hardware box in Digiformat and call it Digitonic…

1 Like

I‘m eyeing the lxr-02. Similar territory

Definately!

Alright, we’re almost two months into this challenge.

The last and final deadline shall be August 20th. So we’ll wrap this up NEXT FRIDAY and can start with voting and hopefully have a new challenge for all of us at some point.

3 Likes

Finally managed to get something together.
Thanks to @the_PMO and everybody for your patience.

Press play and scroll down to read a little about what went into the track;
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/PGokwgR5DF5CTppV6

the_PMO and myself have been talking prior to this. He was asking about the kick drum Mr. G produced. We shared a few DM’s and I gave Mr. G a listen. Some downright cool and funky stuff. That’s why I wanted to hit him up and see if he’d like to collaborate.

We made this track by @the_PMO making a kit of one hits and one chain.
I loaded it into my RYTM and arranged the samples. I added a few extra samples. One of my own cowbell samples playing notes to give some musicality. I also kept Mr. G’s tunes in my head as I went to work.

I recorded the stereo file into Logic in one take. I did a bit of cut and shut and added some plugins for final sound.

3 Likes

Awesome, will give it a listen later today!

Will collect all the tracks for voting in a separate thread tonight/tomorrow. Would be really nice if @LyingDalai can then work his mod magic to create the voting tool so that anyone on the forum can vote? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m a super bad collaborator of @sezare56. I didn’t find the time for music as I’m working like a dog (a deadline in September…)

3 Likes

Sure, hit me with a PM when your thread is ready to launch :smiley:

3 Likes

!!!WowowowowowoowowowowoW!!!

…. Holy shhhmokes!!! These tunes are hotter than a beach towel laid out on the sun :sunny:

…. I’ve had such a busy week… such a busy time… Japan, it’s cool living here but cor blimey it’s busier than a fly who just found a fresh log on the lawn.

This was one of the first times I got to sit down and chill to some music all whilst sippin’ a gin and tonic. Only one interruption!

Thoroughly enjoyed all the entries. Hats off to you guys. A great bunch of lovely people, passionate about their hobby, with a lot of great ideas and machines. I am surprised more people here aren’t full time artists. Amazing!

Thank you all so much for making this a great and memorable Open Battle. I’ve literally only switched on my machines to extract the work I had collaborated on in the past month. Listening to these tunes makes me want to find ways to get in front of my gear more.

Special thanks to @the_PMO for the collabo…. Thanks to @LyingDalai for trying to… and a big, huge load of gratitude for @korpinen for coming up with this idea. I am sure I read that you hope more collaborations will continue after this battle has finished. I truly hope so too!

Cheers everyone :wink:

4 Likes

@qlamerand, don’t worry, no problem, I’m very busy too!

2 Likes

It was just pointed out to me that people following this thread may not have seen that the voting is now open. So head over to the thread below to cast your vote.

2 Likes