Octatrack simple screen gel mod

Posted RYTM version of this a while back. Here is my Octa with orange lighting gel cut to size and applied round the edges with thin strips of 3M double sided tape. Bit fidly to do and requires craft knife but worth doing for anyone like me who cannot do with the white backlight, much nicer for the eyes!

14 Likes

Nice

Is it better for tied eyes as more peaceful ? Or better for the visibility of contrast ?

Nice anyway :slight_smile:

Link for rytm version ?

Your making me want to go purpleā€¦ :smile_cat:

Much better for less eye stress, especially in a low lit environment. Makes no real difference to the contrast.

RYTM:

3 Likes

Youā€™re only restricted by what lighting gel you can get.
If you fancy purple then why not!

2 Likes

Nice mod - can you link sources for the coloured gel strips?

Cheers!

1 Like

Iā€™m in love, will you think it wil work with other colors as a cold one like blue ?
Is it just one or more layer ? :slight_smile:
Thanks !

what is the ā€œdouble sided tapeā€ is it a Thickness question ?

Thanks you !

I actually bought a big roll off ebay of ā€˜Orange 06ā€™ lighting gel, as i also covered some studio windows with it as well!

Will dig out the link. You should be able to get some small sheets, not sure though.

2 Likes

Red colour please, to give OT some MD vibe :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Donā€™t see why blue wouldnā€™t work for you, (not for my eyes though)

Do a search for ā€˜3Mā€™ double sided tape, thatā€™s 3M the manafactuer not the length;-)

The gel is single layer. The tricky part is applying the tape to about 2 mm round each side and cutting off the excess. Peel off the tape protector and carefully apply directly to the (clean and dust free) display.
75x45 mm for octa screen.

4 Likes

maybe try a marker pen ?
water paint / oil / acrylic ?
strawberry jelly layer ?

maybe notā€¦

2 Likes

Nice to meet you !

I did the screen using lighting gel ,the measurements are 77mm x 44mm for the octatrack.To stick it in place mix a little washing up liquid with water and spray on with a spray bottle.Squeeze any excess out with a sponge.It looks great.Thanks o.p The screen is a lot brighter than it looks in the photo.The gel was from ebay.This probably cost 10p.

3 Likes

Nice one dude. A different approach and maybe an improvement on mineā€¦ Does the sheet stay in place and not lift at all?

Yeah so far its been on for a day,donā€™t strip yours yet :slight_smile: Iā€™ll keep you posted in a couple of days o.k

Nice. If itā€™s still on in a week i am doing this.

Not taking mine off, its applied good but your method might be quicker and easier for people to do. Go choose your colors peopleā€¦

Love that orange. It reminds me of the Fostex X-15ā€™s cassette lid.

Well the screen is still in place.I left the OT on for 6 hours no heat issues or peeling.Now iā€™ve found thisā€¦http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transparent-Colourful-Window-Film-Sicky-Back-Optically-Clear-Stain-Glass-Tint-/162372331179?var=&hash=item25ce2526ab:m:mJxaf6HNcM3ntJ9hdvEqoAQ

Iā€™m going to order some and test it out on some glass to see how easy it is to remove.As synththeory
said- choose your colours.

2 Likes