Octatrack simple screen gel mod

Great find, this could be the best solution. Will try as well (red)

Update: got a sample sheet of the thin window stuff but decided not to apply it as totally happy with my original gel application

Ordered some red-orange (fire-colored) gel. Hoping to do the installation on the inside as mine is long out of warranty and I donā€™t trust myself not to bump the screen during a furious twiddling session and tear it off.

OK, did it! Cutting these gels is trickier than I thoughtā€¦ if I do something like this again I think Iā€™m going to use a square piece of glass so I can see what Iā€™m doing a little better. It was also tricky to do the measurements from the inside - I messed up the first time.

Thereā€™s a bit of leakage from the sides and topā€¦

ā€¦ but at my normal viewing angle itā€™s hardly noticeable.

I can definitely live with it and I like the look of it a lot better already. Thanks for the tip!

4 Likes

Yes, nice. I already have gels, different colors ! :wink:

Itā€™s mor eintrusive, but I wonder if it would work to take off he faceplate, slip a very thin gel between the window and the actual LCD, and trust friction (or maybe a couple pieces of cleat tape) keep it in place. On the one hand it would mean opening up your OT and potentially invalidating the warranty if you still have one, but it would also mean not having to worry about cutting precisely and not having to use any adhesives in the actual viewing area - you could just cut it a bit oversize and at most use a couple pieces of tape to hold it to the back of the faceplate. Iā€™m completely comfortable opening my gear up and doing simple ork like replacing batteries or controls, but I donā€™t want to invalidate my warranty on the OT so Iā€™d rather not be the one to test out this. But if someone else whoā€™s off warranty is willing to take the plunge and confirms thereā€™s enough clearance to put in a gel without excessive pressure on the LCD then Iā€™d probably do it, because these look great but Iā€™d rather not stick anything on the screen if I can avoid it.

EDIT: if yo were really careful to not get creases or wrinkles in it I bet you could eve use tinted clingfilm right on the LCD.

1 Like

This is exactly what I did :slight_smile: My warranty is long gone so it was a non-issue for me. I should have gone the cleat tape route, though - good call.

I am almost certain the gel isnā€™t putting pressure on the LCD because mine is actually curling a bit. I tried spraying some glasses cleaning fluid on it to get it to stick but there were too many bubbles so I just went with the dry option.

1 Like

Good to hear. Iā€™m not to keen on using glass cleaner or soap or anything, but clear tape holding it to the back of the face plate is totally reversible without any real cleanup.

Did you use a regular gel or something thinner?

Regular gel. Itā€™s probably about as thick as an index card.

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™m going to start playing out with the OT more in a couple months, I might just have to crack it open and give that a try, an orange gel would probably be really easy on the eyes in low light.

1 Like

Orange gel is really good on the eyes. Great to see you folks getting some benefits from this.

3 Likes

Wonder if anyone tried this on OT Mk2 :slight_smile: