Octatrack OS 1.40A: bug reports

I feel you. I always did the update copying BIN file on the card and never had problems, finger crossed.

Are you 100% sure of the way you do the midi update ?

Sympathy here too. Would hate that

Sorry no tips I’ve always done the bin thing. Hope it can get worked out

1 Like

Is there such a firmware?

My mistake, .4A

Elektron said if I felt comfortable opening it up and reseating the connections to try that before sending it in, and that brought it back to life.

1 Like

Had a funny one yesterday, a sliced sample with 2 slices, would not respond to locked slices entered in grid recording. The locks were present but only slice 1 would play, I tried realtime recording the slices using slice trig mode and it worked fine.

It was a new project, not sure what caused it, but never saw this one before.

OT stops playback for no apparent reason after longer periods (1-3 h) when synced to a slow clock.
Observed this at Nerdseq slower than ~ 52 bpm.

see also: OT sequencer stops unexpectedly

OS 1.40A

1 Like

Can confirm. :wink:

1 Like

Another weird one, on a new project, track 1 would not show running lights when playing pattern 1, switching to pattern 2 it worked as expected. So I cleared pattern 1, and that fixed it.

I believe that when I started the project pattern 1 was set at 16/16, then I changed it to 64/64, I think this may have caused the bug.

Trying to change arrangement when sequencer is running results in “STOP FIRST!” message, but even after pressing stop the message persists, making it impossible to change arrangement, exiting arranger then going back and trying does not clear the erroneous behaviour, only a power cycle does.

I am on MK2 can anyone test, also MK1 users too?

Hi!
Does anybody met with this behaviour? When in midi chromatic mode triggering button1 and last one (page / scale setup) one of both will stuck playing. On any controlled external midi device. Can anybody reproduce this?

1 Like

Another one MIDI bug i found:
When i send CCs into Kyma from MIDI control pages it not only sends corresponding CCs but also random CCs on same chanel. Like i use only cc01 and cc02, whatever and it sends also cc81, cc34, and sometimes even something serial like cc121, cc123, cc124… cc127 in a row. Because of this Kyma’s controlled params behave abnormal, like stuck in the same places periodically and so on.

there should not be сс10, сс08, сс00 with repeating value on this pic since i use only cc01 and cc02

If i do same things from Renoise everything is perfect.

Also if i don’t use any CCs from Control pages everything is ok, it shows only clock stream

Not very clear. Would you post pictures of OT settings ?

Do you mean CTRL1 and CTRL2 pages ?

Are these also activated or do you have only CC1 and CC2 activated ? (Function + Knob press)

Yes i mean CTRL1 and CTRL2 pages
Only CC01 (CC2) and СС02 (CC3) are in use

Actually this is a new blank project to test it out, i had same behaviour before on CTRL2 page with CC71, CC72 for example

@data-purge did you check to make sure audio tracks are not sending CC’s?

i.e is AUDIO CC out set to INT?

Though if i use Renoise’s MIDI monitoring tool everything is OK, also controlling Micromodular’s parameters from OT is OK too

So it is just Kyma-specific problem i guess

Yes

? Why would OT send midi data to Kyma and not to others ?

I’ve had a failing optocoupler in a piece of gear make it recieve different (but still valid) MIDI data from different pieces of gear even though they were all sending the same data. Had to do with the interaction between the output level slew rate of the different devices MIDI output circuit interacting with the defective optocoupler differently. The shape and amplitude of the leading edges of the individual bits would directly affect whether the data got corrupted and if it did, in what way. Took about a week to figure out with help from the Mutable Instruments community. Swapping in a new optocoupler fixed everything and I haven’t had an issue since. The damage was almost certainly from static discharge from the pick-and-pull foam in a new hard case discharging into one of the pins on the MIDI input jack the first time I put the synth in. It worked perfectly, I put it in the case to test the fit, and when I took it out less than a minute later the optocoupler was corrupting data.

Point being, there are all sorts of counterintutive things that can happen with digital data that have nothing to do with software and fall outside of what we usually think is possible in the digital domain.

The newer Kyma systems are USB, right? I wonder how the ground isolation is, interference getting into the ground in audio gear from computers, power supplies and occasionally ground loops (but usually computers) through USB has given me all kinds of weird problems over the years.

Is the Octatrack USB port connected to anything when you use it?

EDIT: do you have anything connected to the Octatrack’s MIDI input?

1 Like

Maybe Kyma interpret it so i don’t know. Actually it behaves ok with Renoise and general MIDI controllers a’la akai mpd8 or novation zero sl via midi din or usb midi. But with OT it behaves strange

Yes they can use USB soundcards now while communicating via ethernet with editing software on computer. In my case all midi communications are thru firewire soundcard and its midi port. Gonna test it with usb midi interface and usb soundcard now.