I want to p-lock the master volume to get a harsh volume modulation

Hi All, I want to get a harsh stutter like effect (or square wave trem if you like) I dont want delay, just volume modulation between zero and normal in a squarewave. I want this to effect the entire track even if it has reverb and/or delay on it (so the amp vol and source vol don’t do the job as the verb/delay keeps going). The obvious thing would seem to be use the master volume (or mater track volume) but I cant p-lock those can I? any other ideas? I feel like I’ve missed something obvious, sorry if I have.

Use a neighbour track or the master track, the amp page is not available for neighbour and master tracks, but the lofi effect has amplutitude modulation you could use. Just have to fine tune the rate.

Also worh trying is the filter (low pass filter/wdth parameter) without resonance, I use it for ducking audio and it works very well with fast modulation, unlike modulating amp vol. Should work well for stutter effects.
Use neighbour or master track and modulate or p-lock the filter.

You could also plug a cable from an output to an input (loopback) and then use a thru machine. Amp volume is available for thru machines.

Don’t forget that reverbs are always heard left and right of an output pair, so when you have reverb on a track and pan it complerely to the left, then plug a cable from left out to an input, you’ll still hear the reverb in the right output.

8 Likes

Thanks @Schnork some good things to try, I’ll let you know how I get on. This may be a separate issue but I couldn’t set p-locks on the master track yesterday, is this a feature of the master track or have I got something wrong? You mention being able to do this above. Thanks

You should be able to place trigs and plocks on master track. One more way to change volume would be to use the DJ EQ and take out all three bands.

4 Likes

DJ EQ seems a good workaround, as you can copy trigs : for easier visual feedback you can use red trigs for volume cut, and green trigless for full volume (or the opposite).

Possible to automate master volume with midi loopback.

3 Likes

Another way would be a flex track that has a recording buffer assigned and samples and plays back the source track. Similar to a thru machine, you can use the amp section. P-lock amp vol or modulate it with an lfo.

1 Like

Some great ideas here, I still havn’t achieved exactly what i had in mind but the combination of using a flex to sample the track and play back continuously with the DJ EQ under LFO control is fantastic and has spun me off in new (and possibly better) directions for related effects.

Thank you all. Ain’t the OT just great!

(still cant p-lock on a master track though - must be just the way it is?)

Plocks on master track are definitely a thing. Can you place trigs there?

1 Like

Hi, no cant put any trigs down on M track, . Pretty sure I’ve done it before but cant think what i’ve changed,

Ok silly question… are you 100% sure it is a master track and not a Neighbour?

late edit: I should have written Pickup, not that it would have solved the problem but just to be clear, I know you can place trigs on Neighbour machines :laughing:

No such thing as a silly question, but no its a Master, with “M” symbol next to track button 8

It´s definitely possible to place trigs and p-lock parameters on the master track.

Of power cycling and removing/adding back the master track, saving the part does not solve the problem, try to save the project under a new name (Project menu -> save as new…), this can solve all kinds of issues.

2 Likes

Another idea. Stick a Lo-Fi on the Master track and use its AM effect, which will give you p-lockable and LFO-able Depth and Frequency.

finally got p-locks on Master. I removed and added back the master and nothing but i did notice that track 8 was set as a pickup machine before settign to master. I switched off the master as before, set the track to flex machine and then to master and bingo. Trigs and locks are back.

tried this a couple of times and it certainly seems like a repeatable bug, if anyone else confirms it I’ll reach out to elektron and flag it.

Thanks again for everyones suggestions/help

2 Likes

And no more trigs ?
Please report it as a bug in the topic below, we’ll check later…
Octatrack OS 1.40A: bug reports - #228 by darenager

I tested your master resampling idea with CUE recording, works well.

Confirmed. Not possible to plock master track if it was a Pickup track before.

1 Like