Octatrack MKII (MK2/2nd Gen) specific bugs thread

I encountered some really weird behaviors while sampling lately.
Turned out I had a MIDI loop that was messing with the triggering of the recording.
:sweat_smile:

Might be good to unplug an input MIDI cable or disable OT receiving CCs when you’re as well encountering unexpected behaviors such as constant recording replay from start at awkward times or such…

1 Like

I’ve been running into an issue with scenes.

I created a new project and have inputs coming into ABCD and going straight out via DIR in the Mixer. No machines have been setup or changed from the default. I setup Track 8 to be the Master Track and try to setup scenes for it but none of the changes made to the scenes take effect.

For example, I leave Scene A1 blank and just change Scene B9 to change the filter settings; when I move the crossfader towards Scene B, nothing happens - but when I turn the machine off and on again, Scene B works properly.

The interesting thing is that if I manually turn the knobs I can hear the changes in real time, but when I assign them to a Scene (A or B) they don’t do anything until the machine has been powered off and on again.

The first project I created does not have this problem, but this new project does.

Certainly doesn’t seem right. Seems like part adjustment is not kicking in straight away but it loads correctly when powering up. I’d try hitting stop twice quickly and see if that kicks in the changes, if not I’d save the part and reload it and see if that works, just to get more details on the issue and narrow it down…

USB DISK MODE issues.

I am trying to drop samples into the CompactFlash but it keeps ejecting itself.

Has anyone experienced the same?

As I was writing about the CompactFlash it just froze.

Again

Stopping twice didn’t change anything but saving the part and reloading did. Very strange…

This is kinda ridiculous. This feels like Elektron has finally produced their ‘Tempest’

1 Like

I can no longer audition my samples while in the browser. The light flashes but I get nothing.

How did all this happen when the OS is supposed to be the same as the DPS-1?

1 Like

It’s not the same. The new version is 1.30. And it has to support a partially new hardware with implicit key combos as well as some new way of handling sub-menus. Plus trig conditions, you know :slight_smile:

And according to what I heard about Elektron history, the guy who mainly developed the firmware of OT has already left the company, so I think new people had to learn the code base. But I may be wrong.

Original

I can’t preview the samples when I am in flex mode. Am I doing something wrong or it’s normal behaviour?

You mean their Tempest MkII?
Octatrack MkI was released in 2010, it was worse. But it works like a charm now.
Almost the same product as MKII, with shared Os.

1 Like

It’s the myth that keeps on giving - it ought to be on snopes.com

yeah and new power , new inputs, new crossfader all layered on a very complex foundation (especially UI) that will also work for the older hardware … it’s still a bit of a surprise to me just how many little issues there have been … I get the feeling there’s no shortage of talent, but there’s probably a lot of plate juggling going on with all the recent hardware releases not to mention the move into computer software etc, who really knows … but let’s not perpetuate the ‘nobody can fix the old code’ myth

3 Likes

While I’d love this to be the root cause of at least some of the issues people are experiencing, I doubt it is. I’ve used a brand spanking new Transcend 64GB CF card from the get go. Of course this could be faulty, too and tonight I’ll check with a different card, but I don’t expect any improvement. I’ll report back asap.

1 Like

Do you remember how long it took to get first firmware update for the Digitakt ? I was an early adopter too, but never ran into too much bugs, so overall I was happy with the box right after the release and I did not pay too much attention to it.
But at the price the OT mkii stands, having the box usable only one boot out of 8, and only if no midi machine is involved, it kinda hurts :’)

Yep. That hurts.
I’ve sold 4 devices + put additional cash and got Octatrick lol :rofl:

However the machine looks great . Waiting for an update…

1 Like

The freezes does not happen for all users - so it might be something with the CF cards. Does it make a difference using 16 bit or 24 bit samples? is it reproducable when 8 longer samples are streamed from the card? (Playing 8x some longer loop?)

Tried another card, it’s all the same. Actually, even tried without a CF card inserted: the OT goes bonkers too, after booting it and waiting 3 minutes. And same goes in 16 or 24 bitsamples, tried all configurations possible now I think.
I did not manage to get a single session without a freeze in the 3 minutes since Monday, so starting to believe there is a hardware issue; been waiting for Elektron to answer my ticket for a few days now.