Octatrack MKII (MK2/2nd Gen) specific bugs thread

I can have one sample working with xvol to a scene then the next sample won’t. It’s too bad becasuse crossfading between similar samples with different processing is basic stuff for OT.

I had a strange but maybe informing case.

After a freeze - rebooted.
The device was automatically loading last project and in the middle it has frozen again.
Then I repeated rebooting 2 times with the same issue.
Then I reallized that the unit won’t bring up and took out the CF card and put back again.
Then it finally rebooted without a freeze.
I’m using orignal shipped CF card

I was also having issues with XVOL/XLV on the 2nd day of use.
In a way, I am glad to hear it is a bug that Elektron is aware of with a fix in the works. Because if it weren’t, it meant I was an idiot, which I was resigned to regarding XLV. Another victim to the complexity of the OT. Hehe.

Interesting side note: Whenever I see XLV it reminds me of when Super Bowl XLVI was here in Indy (2012), those letters made even more memorable by a local green company that repurposed all the large building wraps, billboard materials, and other promotional banner wares into wallets, bags, and curtains. It was almost 6 years ago but that XLVI is still pretty ubiquitous around here.

1 Like

28 minutes and counting in a recording AED screen without issue, using the supplied Kingston 16GB.

Hmmmm.

I am having this issue

How much have you used the card Adam? Is it possible that the cards are just not great and deteriorate over time? It’s all I ever used since I got the OT last week. I have a PONY 32G high speed in there now. No issues as of yet. Been mangling samples 15 minutes or so. I’m going to leave the thing for a bit. I just saved my project and will check back in 10.

I have backed up to the Kingston on a daily basis. But no heavy use, really.

I hope your new card works out! The MKII is a lot of fun to use when the creative flow is uninterrupted.

1 Like

So far, so good

3 Likes

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

Just to share my experience so far:

I am having quite some issues with the CF card as well. I’ve been experiencing multiple freezes, still do, with problems rebooting the project afterward, refusing to load it. Typically before a freeze, some crackling artifacts appear crescendo into the audio, similar to what you’d expect from a signal too loud, leading to machine stopping.
I first blamed the Midi as I was driving a couple of synths from the OT, but realised it was actually due to a couple of samples loaded into a Static machine. I can now reproduce the issue anytime by using Static machines, it’ll take a few minutes but will ultimately happen.
I did format the card but still the same; and connectors inside the machine look good as far as I can tell.

So I guess I’ll order a new CF card, hoping this will solve the problem, I really don’t want to send it back since the MkII is great otherwise :slight_smile:

Ticket has been sent to Elektron of course.

Edit:
Actually after further testing ,the issue happens on every project I create, even if not using Static machines. Still hoping it comes from a bad card to makes the system crashes, but currently my OT is not usable. 5 mins of playing and it freezes and crash. Oh, sadness !

1 Like

Similar experience here as @AdamJay, although I’ve been using the included 16gb Kingston for the past few days while I wait for 64gb sandisk. Have not experienced any freezing issues, only the record light and xvol scene bugs. Using a mix of flex and static with new projects and old mk1 projects without issue. I wonder if some of the cf cards are duds?

1 Like

Happened again, but not as much as with the stock 16G card. Was not in sample menu either, just the main menu. Sitting idle for 5 minutes. Do you guys think they will be able to resolve this? I mean the MKI does not have these issues, correct?

I’m fairly confident they will. The scenario I envision is some poor soul trying to find their way through the existing OT code that’s been lying dormant for the better part of two years. I’m almost certain that an MK1 would behave similarly with the 1.30 firmware. It’s probably better we don’t know how the firmware is developed and maintained. It’s probably pretty messy, but they’ll get there.

2 Likes

I can deal for now. I just hope it’s not a hardware problem and we’re forgotten about. I’m not even doing anything really heavy. I’m a complete noob with a total of 10 hours on any octatrack in my life.

Rytm also had some showstopper bugs. They were worked out and it is solid as a rock now.

1 Like

What I’m worried at most is that some units have this issue and some does not. The conclusion can be that this is a hardware problem and wouldnt be fixed by any fw udpate…

I can attest that the RYTM MK1 is one of the most solid pieces of equipment I’ve owned. Occasional bug here and there over the past year + I’ve owned it but it’s run solid as a rock the whole time. It might take a little while, but I’m sure Elektron will fix it.

3 Likes

I am having the same issue as many in this thread are having. I notice jitter in the crossfader display, get crackling in audio. Sometimes the crash comes right after boot and sometimes after a while. I can always predict when it is going to crash by looking at the crossfader graphic on the screen. If it is stable then OT runs hours without problems. I just reboot until I get it stable. Not that big of a deal and actually gives me faith that it is a firmware bug.

I’m sure Elektron will fix this pretty soon in the next patch or otherwise issue a recall if it is a hardware problem. I wouldn’t rush to conclusions or do panicy decisions just yet.

1 Like

Yeah, finally narrowed it to the same crossfader issue. I can confirm the unit is stable when the crossfader graphic is working as expected, which can take a few reboots. Confident the issue is firmware and will get tackled soon.

Edit: Nope, the unit will remain stable only if there’s no issue with the crossfader display, and if no midi is involved. Even on a “lucky reboot”, driving a synth with 4 CCs modulation on 64steps patterns will lead it to freeze. Quite impatient to see how the next firmware update works out.

2 Likes

Submitting this as a ticket to Elektron , but in the meantime, can anyone reproduce?

Open a project.
Go to any pattern.
Using the Part button. Select Part 1.

Now, switch to a pattern that is connected to any other Part.

use the FUNC + PART command to Save Part.

Does it say “Part 1 saved” (when it should say Part 2, 3 or 4 saved, instead) ?

The Part Save command seems to only save the part that is most recently selected in the Part menu, not necessarily the actual part that you are residing in (should you have switched to a pattern that is assigned to a Part that is different from the one you most recently selected via the Part menu.)

4 Likes