Octatrack MKII midi notes sticking in OP-1 and Organelle

Came to my mind when you wrote I found one.
New looper function!
But I think OT will always be my desert island gear, with a guitar! :content:

1 Like

Hi sezara56,

I hope you don’t mind if I write here directly, but could you do me your offered favour?
I’m loving my Octatrack too, and it’s a shame - sometimes I need to fight with it - but yeah, no. It’s great.

I just ordered a rk002 now, because I have another synth that does not understand velocity 0.

I have a stylophone gen-r8, and I can only sequence it from 707, deluge or pyramid, but not with Octatrack because of this.
The gen-r8 does not understand velocity at all. It just has adsr, that’s it.
Therefore it can’t understand velocity 0 as note off at all, because it does not react on velocity at all as the octatrack sends.

It would be a great help if you could upload into a zip a firmware for this “velocity 0 will be a real note off midi event” for any channel sent. I managed to find a webpage that helps to upload custom firmware to this cable, but I’m sadly to stupid to grasp how this firmware could be created.

Hopefully it is not to outrageous to ask for this.

Best, G

I can help to find necessary messages, but I have not enough time to explain the whole process to configure the RK002.
Did you read about it?

:content:

Ah, just forget it.
Thank you.

Something like that…

boolean RK002_onNoteOn(byte channel, byte key, 0)
{
RK002_sendNote0ff(channel,key,0);
return false;
}

@gerkinear check this :
https://www.retrokits.com/rk002-duy/8/

Have found it already, thx.

When my cable arrives and I coded something I will post a smol guide for this.

I got the cable, and its like always, problems, problems, problems.
The programming should work on windows too, but I get error messages.
I really have no power to grab a second computer and install linux, just to try it out.
I’ve written to retrokits support. Lets see.
I guess I will throw my octatrack out of the window or do some shaman burn-it-ritual on it.

I really know why this all is bullshit and why I hate this kind of stuff.

Well, it was Windows 10.
I found a very very very old laptop in my whatever, installed a linux, and this is the whole sketch for that cable vel 0 -> note off fix:

#include <RK002.h>

RK002_DECLARE_INFO("SAMPLE CODE","duy@retrokits.com","1.0","7b47d3dd-991a-4197-ac02-d340cdabfb59")

boolean RK002_onNoteOn(byte channel, byte key, byte velocity)
{
  if (velocity == 0)
  {
    RK002_sendNoteOff(channel, key, velocity);
  }
  RK002_sendNoteOn(channel, key, velocity);
  return true;
}

boolean RK002_onNoteOff(byte channel, byte key, byte velocity)
{
  return true;
}

void setup()
{
}

void loop()
{
}

It works for me right now, but perhaps, it’s me, I will find something that does not worx.

2 Likes

Congrats!

Minor improvement:

if (velocity == 0) { 
} 
else {
  RK002_sendNoteOn(channel, key, velocity);
}

Otherwise it would produce two events when velocity is 0.

2 Likes

tru

beer leads to errors!

granddad told me.

1 Like

god damn.
it wasn’t it.

i have a midi keyboard into ot
and that rk002 between ot (in the right direction) into my gen-r8.
If i hit a key from the keyboard it works as it should, so everything is hooked up correctly.
I made autochannel on octatrack, and it’s routing correct from keyboard into all my gear.
If i sequence it from octatrack it’s droneing.
I don’t get it.
It worked for one time. Now it does not work anymore - i tried my bad version too, but no success.
I need to look into midi sniffing and find out what exactly the octatrack does.
It’s the octatrack, thats for sure, because all other sequencers I have don’t have this strange problem.

A midi monitor is important for mental health in those cases…

to be honest.
i guess i sell the octatrack.
i can’t stand such stupid issues.
i tried to love it - well i actually love it, but this is something i don’t get.
there is a problem since YEARS that prevent using some synth in combination, and what we get is a screensaver update.
this is not okay.

i want to make music, i don’t want to program a midi cable anymore.
i lost hours of my life, it’s enough.

Sell OT if you wish, but it is not an OT issue :

The MIDI Specification says:
"A receiver must be capable of recognizing either method of turning off a note, and should treat them identically.

https://www.midi.org/forum/228-writing-midi-software-send-note-off,-or-zero-velocity-note-on

2 Likes

This is your opinion, not mine.

Not even an opinion in my concern, it’s a MIDI specification thing. :wink:

2 Likes

So you are telling me if i can sequence a particular synth with every gear except octatrack its no issue? Are you a fanboy?

I‘m out here, this is wrong.

Fanboy or not, what’s the difference?
If you have gear that doesn’t work with Note on Vel 0 that’s not OT’s problem. End of the story.

NOTE-OFF MIDI provides two roughly equivalent means of turning off a note (voice). A note may be turned off either by sending a Note-Off message for the same note number and channel, or by sending a Note-On message for that note and channel with a velocity value of zero. The advantage to using “Note-On at zero velocity” is that it can avoid sending additional status bytes when Running Status is employed. Due to this efficiency, sending Note-On messages with velocity values of zero is the most commonly used method. However, some keyboard instruments implement release velocity where a Note-Off code (8nH) accompanied by a “velocity off” byte is used. A receiver must be capable of recognizing either method of turning off a note, and should treat them identically.

https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/the-midi-1-0-specification

2 Likes

This is ridiculous.

You think it’s not a problem with Octatrack.
I say: yes it is.

End of the story, okay?