Octatrack MKII midi notes sticking in OP-1 and Organelle

I have used iConnectMIDI2+ and it worked routing midi signals with Organelle.

1 Like

hi, yes, I’m not surprised, any USB interface in the path and things seem to work fine, problem appears to be limited to Midi DIN to MIDI jack direct.

If you have an OT2 and Organelle M I would really appreciate it if you could try this config: connect with a DIN to jack cable, or din to din with din to jack adapter the MIDI out from OT to midi in on ORGM, set the OT to sync clock and then let me know how chromatic control from OT works out (try with the metronome patch first). Try again with clock sync off on OT.

I have a studiologic sledge and similar problems sequencing it from octatrack. The sledge is dronening like mad - and you can be sure, I invested a LOT of time. Its an OT problem where I dont expect to whitness a proper solution :-/

Its din2din

I haven’t tried it, but might give it a shot: BOME’s midi translator box could convert 0 velocity notes to note offs. As could perhaps the new blokas box or maybe an axoloti…

Thank you for your hint.

I don’t think I will get another box with cables just to fix something that is clearly a design fail.
I just want to keep it small and tight, and every additional pice of hardware makes it more complicated in the end.

I tried several hours to figure out whats wrong. Was it the cables? Was it something with the sledge? In the end I sequenced it with my laptop - it worked as it should. This makes the OT for me a little bit frustrating. I can’t know in advance, if a synth I intend to buy will work with the Octatrack because of this. It’s frustrating and I don’t like that. It was a bad experience.

It sends what you want it to send.
Nothing weird, only notes, Control Changes, Prog Changes, Clock, Transport.

Easy to check with a midi monitor. I don’t know why it would be Octatrack’s fault.

Why?
Velocity 0 as note off is common.

Not for every synth out there, at least for me. If I can’t use every synth with it (it works with other sequencers), then there has to be an Octatrack problem. Can we agree about this?

…explanation.
I never had a midi problem with OT, sending common messages. If it’s just a Note off = Note On velocity 0 problem, it’s not OT’s fault.

You can easily check and compare what your others sequencers send with a midi monitor, and find an explanation.

What synths are problematic?

Studiologic Sledge.
Not all synths in this world use velocity 0 as note off event (ot uses this).
There is a note off event, a dedicated one for sending explicit note off events.

http://jazzdup.nfshost.com/tutorial/tech/midispec/noteoff.htm vs
http://jazzdup.nfshost.com/tutorial/tech/midispec/noteon.htm with velocity 0.

Yeah.
I don’t want to investigate further.
It does not work for me.
I can’t fix the OT for the Sledge.
I can’t fix the Sledge for the OT.
I don’t want to utilize an extra box which fixes this.
I can live without Octatrack, but I don’t want to get part of the sledge, because it’s my only big keyboard and has a beautiful sound, at least for me.
So this is done for me.
I don’t have time for this problem left.

Would you consider a RK002 cable? (Velo 0 to Note off).
Midi processors can solve a lot of midi limitations / problems, and can add new crazy functionalities. :slight_smile:

I considered extra stuff to fix this.
But that means extra cables, or extra boxes with extra cables.
Or in the case of rk002 programming my own firmware for it - there is not one that is for this problem available as far google told me.

Honestly - I didn’t dived a lot into this stuff. I just scratched my head too long for this.
I’d rather program a beat and not a cable or a box. :wink:

Well - I love the octatrack in the way I use it, but I search for an other midi sequencer with songmode. I don’t want to use a laptop for this task. Once an update started while I was recording. No thx, but no. The octatrack calls itself performance sampler and not midi sequencer. Maybe I should think about this.

I can program it for you!
You can also ask to @grit from Retrokits.

1 Like

The midi seq has some pretty fundamental flaws that aren’t going away. Another one is the CC being sent AFTER the note. Wtf

Gotta say well done to Elektron for still managing to become synonymous with parameter locking even with anti-plock behaviour like this in a flagship product!

1 Like

This is really a nice gesture that you would do this.
But it can’t fix the fact that it also drops sometimes first notes for my 0-coast too.
I will not use OT’s midi sequencer anymore, so I don’t have a need for it. Thank you very much for your offer!

Too sad!
OT is bad to record what you play, especially chords, but I love to use it for generative one bar patterns. Rdm lfos on rdm Arp, Vel, LEN !

I bought an Mpc 1000 again when I started with OT. :smile:
Midi Overdub, linear, many messages types…
Now I have an MPC500 I don’t use…but I can have best combination of both worlds.

The RK002 can definitely solve this and it would be not really an extra cable or gear with power supply, you would just replace a regular MIDI cable with the RK002.

So if you change your mind at a point (or a software fix in the other devices is taking too long): A Firmware to change note on with velocity 0 to a real note off message is made in a jiffy and up on the RK002 DUY Exchange Portal ( https://www.retrokits.com/rk002/exchange/ ) in no-time.

(And would this issue be fixed after all, then you can just change the RK002 firmware with something else like an arpeggiator or euclid stuff or this https://www.instagram.com/p/B2ugZuGhdR8/ :wink: )

3 Likes

I used a rk002 cable to make the volca fm respond to velocity in a good way with external keyboards :wink:
I can recommend it, those cables are reliable.

Anyway - I’m already looking into another hardware sequencer with arranger, I found one that could be a great desert island compagnion too because it has basic synths built in, has a sampler, is a looper and all.
I’m not mad at my OT - I will use it for loooong samples streamed from cf card, as mixer for setups with fx, and as sample based drum computer and as transition sampler (mix a recorded loop with the next pattern…). There are really a lot of things you can do aside of midi sequencing on it. Heck - if the OT didn’t had midi sequencing at all it would be a weapon!

I’m eyeballing on a specific sequencer with arranger for a longer time now and I might jump ship. Propably other problems will emerge.

Which one? :slight_smile:

Im considering a deluge for that purpose.
I would like to sequence my stuff with it into arrangements. It looks capable to do so.