Octatrack PC to 707 via Midi Track and Parts

Hi!

If I use on the Octatrack Pattern A1 with Part one and set on a midi track the pc, and on A2 with Part two on the same midi track another pc I assumed that when I change the pattern on the octatrack the “Pattern” or “Clip” on the 707 changes instantly.

Sadly, if i switch from a1 to a2 on the ot the pattern on the 707 changes correctly, but only after a2 runs one time through it’s sequence. It’s lagging one pattern round…

How can I fix this?

Thank you!

I’ve read a bit around, this problem exists since the release of Octatrack.
It has with some of my synths problems with droning notes too!
It renders the midi functionality of the Octatrack very very useless for my way of making music.
I don’t want to make tricks with midi processors. NO!

This is bonkers. I remember slowly why I sold my previous Octatrack, and I will sell my second try too. What a waste of time.

I’m really, really angry and I hate it!
The Octatrack could be a dream machine, but NO!

What about MIDI SYNC page Prog Change send??

This setting only makes sense if you want to sync elektron style sequencers aka:
a1 on rytm should follow the a1 from ot.
It’s a different thing, really.
I want to program change on ALL different midi tracks - not only globally, and that you could only achieve with the part settings for program change via midi. If it would work as it should. But it does not.

The problem is, that the implementation of parts is a fail.
That’s it.

You can’t put midi program changes into parts and expect that they work as they should.
The program change is working at least, that’s true, but one sequence cycles too late!

The Octatrack was released 2011.
This problem exists since then.
This is not acceptable!
It is not acceptable to fix such a SERIOUS fail with an extern midi processor.

I can’t recommend the midi functionality with Octatrack if you want to stay sane. The implementation causes more problems than fun.

I found something!
I need to NOT send bpm sync and start stop from ot to 707.
Then it happens instantly.
But then I can’t sync delay on 707 to bpm. Dang.

That also means I cant use sequences on the 707 if i want to play it that way from octatrack.
With that i mean: I want to jam on the 707, do THERE the sequences, and arrenge them with octatrack. That is not possible. I need to sequence on the octatrack too then.

Looked like you wanted to do the same with the 707.

I’m thinking about a workaround with Arranger, but I have the feeling you won’t like it.:grimacing:
The idea is to change pattern just before the theorical end. Ex :
A1 is 64 steps. Make a copy to A2, same part as A3.
For the transition, play 62 steps of A1, and the last 2 steps of A2 (with a different part, program change, offset=62).
A3 being next patter.

No clock / transport send from OT?

Yes, if I want to change the clip on the 707 in a correct manner with octatrack parts, I have to DEACTIVATE transport and sync send from octatrack.

That means:
if i have on ot a1 perhaps c3 notes, with a lead voice clip clip from 707, and i want to use on the same channel d2 notes on a2 with a bass sound clip from 707, then the following happens (if i sync and transport…):
lets think about: playing a1 two times and a2 two times:

i expect:
c notes with lead
c notes with lead
d notes with bass
d notes with bass

what happens:
c notes with lead
c notes with lead
d notes with lead
d notes with bass

I’m sorry I cant’ explain better.

The 707 need to stay on stop! That means, If i want to arrange with Octatrack and 707 I can’t use both sequencers at once, because that reasons.

You are right, fixing with pattern fragments is a creativity killer, and sometimes you just want to perform, not only arrange.

Best would be:
I create sequences on the 707, because you know, one box to jam, and build up your songparts and synth sounds, and THEN arrange it with external box, because 707 and songmode is something that does not exist. Also, the OT has midi arp, midi retrig… 707 is lacking arp. And midi lfo. Lets not forget midi lfo.
But well, I will just use the octatrack sequencer and use the 707 as module if I want to make something more fancy than simple things.

I hope you’ll find a satisfying workflow !

I enjoyed it recently for a structured song, momentary scenes changes, mutes, etc…

Yes, good thing for that kind of stuff. Its part of an arrangement then. But needing to use this to fix something is a different kind of thing :slight_smile:
But I guess the way (only use one sequencer) could be satisfying enough.