Octatrack midi sending wrong note?

So I have a sequence programmed in the Octatrack and I’m sequencing a drumrack in Ableton. Strangest thing is that when I program a note for example C1, the OT sends out a different note (in this case D1). What could be the reason for this? I’ve turned off the arp and LFO’s and any CC messages. I loaded a new clean project and so on. I’m stumped. No idea why the midi note is different between the OT and Ableton.

Any ideas?

Even with Arp off the transpose function on the Arp page can still change the note. Make sure it is set to zero.
If that is not the problem, then the problem must be on the receiving end. Maybe the mapping of the drum rack is configured that way. Did you check with a different soft synth?

4 Likes

Is that across every note? Or just c1?

As above have you tried a diff soft synth? If it’s still doing it in a new OT project then it seems the issue is with the destination, highly unlikely the OT is sending incorrect midi notes.

Yep across every note. Its always two notes different - so G2 on the OT is A2 in Ableton. I’ve tested it with different synths and drumracks etc. Also Arp is off as to is Arp key. It’s a strange one. I might do a factory reset of the OT.

“Key” is not the setting for transpose. Transpose is on arp main page and labeled “TRAN” and should be set to 0. If you are using the arranger there is also a transpose setting there, the “T” column…

2 Likes

hahahahahhahah - - thanks all! Yes the trans in arp wasn’t set to zero. Now all is well. Man…I’m a derp.

5 Likes

Happy days

Derp :joy:

2 Likes

Actually I had to tran up an octave to get the exact same note. So C1 on the OT matches C1 in Ableton when tran is +12.

1 Like

i ran into the same situation like you… the notes played on the OT did not correspond to the actually played notes when sequencing

Now all is well. Strange that even though Arp is off there is still an effect on midi.

1 Like

think of it as like an independent transpose option. Really useful when you actually want it!

3 Likes

yes i often use the tran for simply that purpose, trig lock it in here and there

I am having the same issue with my OT MKII and Live 9.7.6 Suite.
However, it is an entire octave off, and the TRAN param in the Arp page is off.

I’ve been trouble shooting this for an hour to no avail. I’ve tested with two different USB MIDI interfaces and the problem persists.

Can anyone with an OT MKII recreate?

For instance, my OT MKII is sending C2 and Ableton Live recognizes it as C1.
F#3 on OT MKII is F#2 in Ableton, etc.

Are you sure it’s not just a different reference?
There is no standard for C1, it’s different in different DAWs and hardware so sometimes it’s an octave off…
In Logic X there’s actually a setting to define what a C1 is just for this purpose…
If there’s no setting you just always use the 1 off number…

From Logic X manual:

4 Likes

Mods shouldn’t have to read manuals. :thinking:
Sorry again for a bad joke.

I’m not sure. And that is entirely possible.
Hence my desire to see if the behavior is the same for others with Ableton Live.

It’s not the end of the world, and nothing a quick MIDI PITCH device can’t fix (it helps to set up the OT MIDI SEQ for Ableton Drum racks when they the note octaves align), but it could also be a bug. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Especially for software they don’t own.

But on the real, I read all the manuals for everything I own before I buy it. And I’ve previously worked as a technical editor for audio software manuals. I spent an hour in three different PDF manuals before posting.

2 Likes

I’ve read all the Elektron manuals all the way through and only have OT and AR… :joy:

I wish Live had this option, but it does not.

Thanks for your constructive response and for the substance of your posting. This was helpful. I wish there were more helpful posts like yours. Please keep it up!

1 Like

Sorry if it seemed rude, I just meant something like Mods already know everything, like they have Elektron blood, super powers.
:cry:

1 Like