Octatrack midi sending wrong note?

Midi manufacturers can’t seem to agree on mappings of note numbers, pretty daft considering Midi is supposed to be a standard, middle C (note #60) is C4 on Roland gear, but C3 on Yamaha gear for example, I think Elektron consider C5 to be note #60 IIRC. Some manufacturers use the Roland (IMHO correct*) mapping, whilst others use either C3 or C5.

*Given that Roland along with Sequential Circuits conceived midi.

Could the issue be related to this?

Edit - Seems that OT considers C4 to be note #60, but Digitone and Digitakt consider C5 to be note #60 :thinking::thinking:

Edit - @Open_Mike already mentioned Roland/Yamaha above, but left my post to document the Elektron disparity.

2 Likes

^^ This

1 Like

The funniest is that C60 is named differently on OT (C4) and A4 (C5) (MKIs) ! :joy:

1 Like

I think this is exactly the issue. So i’ll make an Ableton Pitch MIDI device preset called “OT” that shifts the octave and get on with it.

OT MIDI sequencing an Acidlab Drumatix drum rack is proving very fruitful thanks to the per track scale/length, midi note repeats, micro timing, and trig conditions.

3 Likes

Just so that you can have a laugh. I googled for transpose settings and OT MIDI malfunctions and finally noticed I had an LFO messing with note values…facepalm :smiley:

3 Likes

new owner here, figuring it out. aside from the transpose setting on the Arp page
also check the trig setting on each LFO on the track that is mis behaving. I had one set to hold and that caused inputted notes to change pitch on play back. I think.

Just went through this thread as I was having the same issues. Turns out I had an LFO targeted at the notes that had it’s depth slightly turned up. Clear page on everything is your friend!

3 Likes