Octatrack Livesets

I would love to see how other people use their Octatrack in a liveset, and I think we could gain insight from peeking into other peoples setups :slight_smile:

there is no wrong or right I guess, and everyone has his/her workflow: whatā€™s yours?
you can use this as an outline: http://pastebin.com/raw/wDaqNpQJ

16 Likes

My turn.
Ā 

My Music

Tech House / Melodic Techno, so a lot of synths that modulate, some pads and a lot of drums.

My Gear

I use an Octatrack and a Circuit, the Circuit is Midi slave to OT but sequences on its own ā€“ that way it is independent of the Tracks I play and I can easily use it in transitions.

My Octatrack Setup

1. Kick Drum Loop Filter
    Kick Loop of one or four bars

2. Bassline Loop Filter
    Full Stem sliced into 4/8bar loops

3. Percussion Loop Filter, Delay
    Full Stem sliced into 4/8bar loops, containing claps/snares, glitches and percussion.

4. Hihat Loop Filter, Reverb
    Full Stem sliced into 4/8bar loops, containing CH, OH and shakers.

5. Circuit Thru DJ-EQ, Compressor
    My Circuit goes in here, I remove the bass Frequencies and compress it a bit.

6. Instruments Filter, Dark Verb
    Full Stem sliced into 4/8bar loops, sort of a backing track with everything except the primary lead which is done via circuit.

7. Effects Dark Verb
    Full Stem sliced into 4/8bar loops

8. Master DJ-EQ, Compressor
    Master EQ for adjusting and bass cuts via scenes. Compressor gels everything together.
    If anyone found a real nice setting for punch and limiting PM me please.
    Thought about using two compressors. one for glue, one for peaks.

####BANKS
ā€¦are Tracks to me

####PARTS
ā€¦I donā€™t fully utilize. I use Part one, working settings are saved there including scenes A and B set to an empty one. that way I can go crazy and then return to default via Part reload.

####PATTERNS
ā€¦are segments of a track, I use them in a linear fashion. most of them are 64/64 [1/8] or 32/32 [1/8]. They contain single trigs that define the slice that should be played on each track.

####SCENES
ā€¦contain different ā€œvariationā€ effect settings, so that I donā€™t have to mess that much with the track parameters.

####LFOs
ā€¦donā€™t get used much, but they are set on every channel so I can make them modulate the Pan or Filter Cutoff. I really should use them more.

How I prepare the set

Iā€™m a hybrid guy, and all of my tracks come together in Bitwig. I render full stems for all groups, but mute some hihats and leads that I rebuild on Circuit. I import all stems in the OT, and slice them into 4bar/8bar chunks, setting quantize to 4/16 ā€“ that way I can manually trigger them in time. I then recreate/redefine the arrangement in the patterns.

How I Play

The Octatrack works as sort of a Ableton-like backbone. The Circuit is synced, but I use its own sequencer in order to be able to change the Bank on the OT and still jam some transitional elements. Every Bank on the OT has a corresponding Circuit session ā€“ That way I have good control over the tracks elements and timing on the OT but can jam in the drums and control my synthsā€™ parameters live. Iā€™m the kind of guy that constantly turns the cutoff knob.

My Transitions

I donā€™t use the resampling transitions but rather capitalize on the OT running audio loops indefinitely until a new trig gives new instructions.

The first pattern in every bank has no triggers except for the thru machine, so switching to it does nothing initially. I can then trigger every Trackā€™s new loop by pressing the sample triggers on the right ā€“ sort of like the plays-free-Bionik-transition (In every loops setting I have quantized play set to 4/16th so that I donā€™t screw up the timing), so I gradually switch out the parts for the new ones while the circuit is playing some hihats to gel it together. And then on to the next pattern where every Track has a defined trig :wink:

25 Likes

Iā€™ll play, hope itā€™s helpful :slight_smile:

My Music

House mainly, with a bit of breaks techno and downtempo when the urge strikes.

My Gear

(edit as of 2017) Classic trinity (MD into OT inputs AB, MnM into CD) and the entire output through an Analog Heat then a Kaoss Pad 3.

My Octatrack Setup

1-6. Samples
Everything from one-hits to multibar-length loops. Depends entirely on the trackā€™s needs ā€“ sometimes Iā€™ll use all 6 tracks, or some, or none, depending on how much work the MD and MnM are doing. Effects vary likewise.
Iā€™ve experimented with using T5/6 as processors for the silver twins, but I tend not to as I donā€™t do it frequently ā€¦ so those times when I want to, it entails going into the mixer menu and adjusting the DIR parameter to 0, and back again for whatever I play next. Not something I always have time or presence of mind for at the gig. :wink:
7. Resampling track
Track recorder, often for slicing. Generally muted and then a Xfader move brings it up while muting T1-6.
8. Master track
Effects vary, but often a compressor and Xfader-manipulated DJ EQ.

####BANKS PARTS PATTERNS AND SCENES
are highly interdependent, but basically:

Up to 4 compositions per bank, depending on the number of patterns and parts each one uses. I might have a 16-bar loop that entails chaining 4 patterns, or several short patterns that I play individually for awhile then switch to another, etc. Sometimes two patterns will have dramatic differences between the samples each uses, or they may only differ in how T7 sounds. Sometimes Iā€™ll use an entire bank for a composition but itā€™s rare as I like to have a lot of compositions at the ready, and thereā€™s only 16 banks.

Scenes are sometimes just for momentary effects or switching them can be part of the composition. Depends on how complex an arrangement I envision and whether I can manage it smoothly by hand. Maybe just a quick reverb splash, or maybe the switch unmutes one track, mutes another and brings two other tracksā€™ effects in.

####LFOs
can be used subtly, or for dramatic effects when their depth is linked to the Xfader. Oscillating filter settings on a single track, for example.

How I prepare the set

OT samples come from lotsa places: hits I make with other gear, iOS loops, etc. I generally start composing on one Elektron and eventually expand to involve the others. But many compositions donā€™t use more than two instruments or maybe just a couple of sounds from the others ā€¦ often the OT just provides a few handy effects when Iā€™m soloing on MD, for example.

How I Play

DJ style ā€¦ bring in a compositionā€™s intro, create structure on the fly with muting, tweaks, effects, pattern selection on the instruments, etc., then onto the next.

My Transitions

I use Kaoss Pad 3 for these as I have to switch OT projects and MD snaps a few times a gig, and the KP3 means the music doesnā€™t stop. Also useful for keeping a loop running for a minute or so in case I have to power recycle one of the Elektrons.

11 Likes

nice thread idea!

my live set is actually a work in progress and Iā€™m exploring different variations to find my best way out of this amazing machine!

Iā€™ll share when Iā€™m stabilized but this thread may be very interesting!

1 Like

My Music

House-ish Techno-ish Psychadelic Loops.

My Gear

My Octatrack controls a Bass Station II, Volca bass and TR-8. My band mate runs a Korg X5D and Directional Mic through a Kaoss Pad and into the Audio in of the TR-8.

My Octatrack Setup

1 - THRU Volca Bass
Lo-Fi & Spring Reverb
Gives the little Volca a bit more character and turning up the reverb builds tension really well.

2 - THRU Bass Station II
The effects we put on the BSII really depends on the song but some delay on an ARP pattern or dark reverb on a Bell patch always sounds real lovely.

3 - THRU TR-8 Percussion (except BD) & TR-8 Audio In
A little bit of delay or a phaser effect on the Hats and Toms makes for really nice variation and texture in out break down sections.
The Audio in from the TR-8 also comes through here which is often pads and distorted/effected vocal loops.

4 - THRU TR-8 BD
Having the BD on its own track lets us have a bit more control on the impact it has on the track - also allows us to effect the rest of the TR-8 output without getting mangled and delayed BD patterns.

5-8 FLEX/STATIC Machines
These tracks always differ depending on the song weā€™re currently performing. Some times we decide that thereā€™s nothing really more needed besides a few extra percussion samples and on other songs weā€™ll have vocal loops/samples field recordings and pad samples going all at once.

BANKS

Act as different songs - usually ill go through and re arrange them to suit the set weā€™re rehearsing for.

PARTS

Might as well be magic. Might actually exist, but i have no idea how to harness them and doing okay without it so far.

PATTERNS

Slowly getting to use these more. Because a lot of our songs are just loops and layers a lot of the strcuture comes from adding and removing elements to create a kinda grungy psychadelic experience. But lots of our newer material has subtle key changes and chord progressions smattered about them and we use the patterns for this.

SCENES

Utilise as many scenes as I can to creates lots of different variation in the track - effecting samples in different ways to change the way they come out entirely.

LFOs

Use lots in field recordings to cycle through different slices that iā€™ve set along the sample. means the loop stays in time but is change constantly.

How I prepare the set

Depending on the setting of the set weā€™ll organise our banks to flow in a certain way. Club sets we try and replicate a DJ set style of peaks and troughs but playing at house parties we generally just put in our strongest loudest danciest songs into the set.

How I Play

The Octatrack is the brains of the operation we let it think very literally about all the patterns and LFOs it has to trigger amd then we can focus on performance elements like tweaking attributes on the BSII or Bleating into the Kaoss Pad or building tension with lots of extra noise with delay effects.

My Transitions

Usually just rely on breaking down the Bass sequences and chanigng the drum pattern and keeping the pads going switching banks and building everything back up. A lot of our songs are ordered in a way that allows the transitions to harmonise and create little jams but a lot of it is just dumb luck in the end.

6 Likes

From 2 years ago:

• a short video clip of the actual event:

My Music

Techno.

My Gear

OT, A4, Ambika, Big Sky in this one. OT acts as a mixer for the other machines.

My Octatrack Setup

1. Content Effects

Donā€™t remember the details, sorry! Lots of filters and delays. Iā€™m not a huge fan of the OTā€™s effects, the filters and the delay are ok.

####BANKS

I just use one bank for a live set.

####PARTS

I donā€™t use parts.

####PATTERNS
1 pattern is one song, basically. I mute and unmute tracks, play with filters and FX to keep things interesting. Iā€™m no Robert Hood, but I like things quite minimal.

####SCENES

The crossfader controls a hipass filter set on the master track.

####LFOs

Lots of subtle modulation of FX and stuff.

How I prepare the set

Iā€™m not much of an improviser, so everything is prepared in advance. All the rhythmic, melodic and hamonic content is made before the show.

How I Play

I mute and unmute tracks, play with filters and FX, change patterns when the song/pattern changes.

My Transitions

I just change patterns and/or sounds on the machines lol. Nothing too complex.

Listening to this now, the kick makes me cringe. It sounded ok before the show, I changed it quite a bit during the soundcheck. To my defence, it did sound good on a big PA.

7 Likes

My Music

I try for it to be danceable

My Gear

Keeping it simple, OT, AR, H9, iPad.
Ive only got two hands, after all. H9 is connected to an expression pedal.

My Octatrack Setup

1. Static Filter, Delay
    This one is a dj deck, containing grooves and songs that i will put in the set.
    The filter is a sculpting one, used for transitions. The delay is also used for transitions

2. Neighbour Filter, Delay
    Filter here acts as a side chain for this ā€œdeckā€, using triggers to activate the envelope. The delay is in echo freeze mode for some variety in groove.

3. Flex Filter, Reverb
    Acts as a recorder for track 2, so i can switch to it and add some diferent variations and patterns of the same material, doing beat juggling and fast crossfader movements.

4. Flex Filter, Reverb
    Same as 3, but recording track 6.

5. Static Filter, Delay
    ā€œDeck 2ā€

6. Neigbour Filter, Delay
    ā€œDeck 2ā€

7. Through Filter, Delay
    AR goes here, there is some drive on the filter, delay is in echo freeze mode.

8. Neighbour Compressor, Reverb
    Yo dawg, i heard you like compression so i put a compressor on your compressor. And some reverb.

####BANKS
Banks are different setups, actuallyā€¦ The settings described above are from bank ā€œBā€, which gets the most use. Different banks may bring another two through tracks for the iPad, or for kick and bass tom from the AR, depends really.

####PARTS
I use them to store different setups, but that is not used in a live situation. I have some ideas about using them, just havenā€™t realised them. The thing that bothers me is that they need to be too general not to disrupt the flow, so i mainly stick to one part per show.

####PATTERNS
Changing the sidechain triggers, or setups as explained above.
If itā€™s a 4/4 set, i can go the whole night with just the one pattern.
####SCENES
Scenes are my transitions, using the filters and delays on decks to create as smooth a flow as I can manage. I interpolate between the various settings on the decks, to give me different vibes, like, only one deck is heard, both decks in low pass, band or high pass, one deck is dominant, or a mix of deck 1 bass and deck 2 topsā€¦

####LFOs

LFOs are used in transitions, also both decks have a slow running designed LFO with small linear peaks connected to the track pitch, so that it is constantly changing over time, to simulate imperfections of a turntable, and make a short loop listenable over longer period of time.

How I prepare the set

Every track that i put in the decks has to be prepared for the Octa, since they have to loop perfectly. Some have slices, some are chains, others just sound fine when they loop again.

How I Play

OT is the main brain, AR goes into it, and a cue out goes into the H9. I have the ā€œcue mutes trackā€ enabled. Track i cue to the H9 gets the foot! Using the expression pedal to control various effect settings on the H9. I superimpose my beat over the selected grooves, with the side chain taking care of frequency clashes.

My Transitions

Using mutes, performance and scene modes on the AR, with the selected cue going to H9, and the crossfader scenes of the OT i try to make it sound as best as I can. With the exp pedal i have an another layer of control, like a third hand. So when i am done with a groove/track i load the next one, and go at it again.

Here is an example, in a minimal industrial techno set. This is the only recording of this setup at the moment. I see the setup and rig as a living thing, and weā€™re evolving together.
https://youtu.be/W4Yqs0IpFT0

9 Likes

Sounds interesting, got any links?

My Music

Samples, loops, ambient, beats, footwork

My Gear

Octatrack, SP-404SX, Microbrute, & Microgranny

My Octatrack Setup

T1-T6 ā€“ FLEX/STATIC Machines. Really only worked with Flex samples as I tend to like changing the sounds drastically and quickly in a high bpm.
T7 & T8 ā€“ THRU Machines for the SP (A B) and Microbrute/Microgranny (C+D).

BANKS

Used as different songs, sometimes Iā€™ll need 2 banks per song.

PARTS

I get how they are used, but havenā€™t found any use for the feature yet.

PATTERNS

Iā€™m all about the patterns. Most the time theyā€™re played in order and are already fully fleshed out ideas, so Iā€™m not adding/changing trigs live like Iā€™ve seen others do. I donā€™t think my skill level is there yet haha.

SCENES

Love the scenes for volumes fading in/out, filters, delays, retrigs, LFOs. Anyway I can vary up a pattern with them. I find the XFADE is useful for quick fade ins/outs, but the Vol in the AMP page to be far better for more gradual build ups.

LFOs

Just started playing around with the LFOs, which are a huge feature. After just diving in, love messing with the filter depth and delay. I havenā€™t even begun assigning these to scenes and can only imagine it will get insane.

How I prepare the set

I have the songs complete and know the flow, so thatā€™s all in the OT. I make sure I have samples on the right pads on the SP and Microgranny. Iā€™ve seen some criticism, but I really like the Arranger for live sets. I feel like you can arrange things in a ridiculous way, itā€™s very underrated. I also get all of my settings on the OT to where I need them, so when I play live I can improvise and then Iā€™m able to reload the project to reset it all.

How I Play

Octatrack is the brains. Everything goes thru it, and it also controls the brute via MIDI. Iā€™ll use the SP to trigger one off samples and/or play it like a keyboard to the music, or use it for transitions. I like the microgranny for looped drones or added textures to fill things out.

My Transitions

I do my best to put these into the patterns, tho I could probably try doing that more with the Scenes/mutes. Having the SP for additional samples is a big help with transitioning into new tracks/patterns.

1 Like

My Music

Not really focused on any genre, as I play this as a hobby in my bedroom, but mainly techno, idm, jungle, sometimes I feel kinda housinā€™ too haha.

My Gear

OT, A4, MD, TT303, EvolverMek, Korg NanoKontrol, and of course Motu828mkii and Midisport8x8 are as important as the rest of machines in this setup.

My Octatrack Setup

Iā€™m working with this setup by now, but I have some ideas in mind to change this. First before explain the machines Iā€™m working with, itā€™s important to read ### How I prepare the set.

1. THRU Delay, LO-FI
    This is for MD.

2. THRU Delay, LO-FI
    This is for synths.

3. FLEX Effects
    This is for ipod.

4. STATIC Effects
    I use this for chained samples, I have vocal phrases choped in slices that I launch in slice mode.

5. FLEX Effects
    Direct resampling for the MD.

6. FLEX Effects
    Same as above for synths.

7. STATIC Effects
    More chained samples played as slices.

8. MASTER Filter, Delay
    Use this for beat repeat and some kind of stupid filtering djying.

Effects may vary

####BANKS
I only work with banks to create music, not playing live in my house

####PARTS
same as above

####PATTERNS
same

####SCENES
at this moment I use 5 scenes, 1 for an unaltered state, 1 for filtering, 1 for delay, and two to making transitions between the resampled tracks (1-5 & 2-6)

####LFOs
nope at this moment

How I prepare the set

The motu828mkii has 4 buses, I use 1 of them as a main bus with the output to my monitors (BUS 1), BUSES 2 and 3 are output to the octatrackā€™s IN (A,B,C), and bus 4 is for A4 and Evoā€™s IN. so:

BUS 2 is for MD Stereo out
BUS 3 is for synths
BUS 4 is for A4 and Evoā€™s IN, in this case I can route any of the synth to use with A4 and EVO as a effect unit, and the result can be routed to Octa turning on the level of the synths on the BUS 3.

input D is for ipod which I play, resampling radio programs or some songs in the fly.

Korg Nanokontrol letā€™s me make instant mute, solo and cue for the octa, Iā€™m using it with ableton as a USB MIDI host, but Iā€™m going to buy a kenton or cerebel usb midi hosting to turn off the computer.

Octatrack is the brain of all this gear, It sends the midi orders using the midisport as a patchbay for the rest of the gear, acting as a mixer and sequencing the EVO too, the others synth has their own seqs

How I Play

Well, itā€™s all about improvisation and doing what I feel at this moment, samples and programs (on MD and synths) are prepared but I tweak them in live too.

My Transitions

Highpass filtering, delay, muteā€¦

1 Like

Sorry for the late response mate iā€™ve had trouble logging into elektronauts,
we havenā€™t done too much recording or uploading of our most recent set but hereā€™s a recording from a rehearsal for a show https://soundcloud.com/ultrapure/puddle-brain-demo has a few techniques in here that I wrote about.

let me know what you think if you have a moment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

dumb question. noticing that you are using 4 thru machines. i guess that means they all come through as mono then or am i missing something?

Yep they all come through as Mono.
Because itā€™s all bass and percussion it works fine in Mono

1 Like

Hello people. I give it a shot.

My Music

Mix of Electronica, ā€œIDMishā€, trip-hop, downtempo

My Gear

Octatrack, A4 and microbrute, but Live-Sets were Octatrack only so far

My Octatrack Setup

Track 1: Drums loops
Track 2: Bass parts
Track 3: Melodic parts
Track 4: Used for transitions.
Track 8: Master track. Using freeze delay effects.

BANKS PARTS PATTERNS AND SCENES

Banks are the songs. One Bank per song.
I rarely use parts.
Patterns are the individual parts of my songs (Intro, build up, main part etc.)
Scenes: One scene for the transition trick, other scenes with lp filter, hp filter, Big Reverb, Sample reducer and bitcrusher for the drums, Retrigger for the drums etc.

How I prepare the set

I tried to find a way to transfer my old Ableton live sets into the Octatrack. One could could argue about how ā€œliveā€ this set is, but thatā€™s my way of doing it.
I bounce Drums, Bass and melody (synths, guitars etc.) of my studio tracks into indiviual audio tracks. But not for the whole track, but for each indiviual part of the song. Any change in the drum pattern or melody is a new stem.
I lock each sample from pool (static machine) to the first trig of itā€™s pattern. Often I use samples which are longer than 4 bars, so I use the time divider individual for each track.

How I Play

Kind of a DJ Style. My songs are broken down to itā€™s individual parts, so I can decide when Itā€™s time for the next part and how long it will last. I can mute drums, bass or melody depending on how my mute is at that moment.
I apply a lot of effects with the scenes and using the freeze delay.

I make heavy use of the arranger:
I wanted to get a ableton kind of clip triggering. I pre program the patterns (which are the song parts) with itā€™s corresponding bank in the arranger. You can choose 64 repeats for every pattern in the arranger. So the pattern loop over and over and i can decide when to change. Itā€™s like changing scenes in ableton live. I also also pre program the tempo for my individual songs in the arranger, because the bpm variy quite strong (from about 90 to 135 bpm).
And I also pre program some scene actions, for example I can program that when I do a transition, the next song starts filtered down and with big reverb and I then I open the filter and reduce the verb to start the song. Just as an example.

My Transitions

Making use of the well known transition trick by Tarekith. I have a flex machine here, assigned to a recorder buffer with a trig on the first step. I activate sampling manually, and record one or two bars.
I use the same scene for transitions in every track. Track 4 is quiet with the crossfader on the left, and active when the crossfader is on the right, but all other tracks are quiet then. Most of the time I use the transitions for heavy effect use, pitch it, reverse it applying effetcs etc.

A lot of words I know :slight_smile: I tried to be clear. Interesting to read how you guys do it, great thread idea.
Here is a little video, where I play two songs with transition of one of my sets.

Cheers

17 Likes

Im new to OT (i purchased mine a few weeks ago) Iā€™m getting the basics sorted out now but your description and video is really useful to develop ideas around workflow and more advanced use of the OT, particularly in a live playing situation. Thx for taking the time to video and explain. Overall, this is a great thread, especially for noobs like me, emphasizes how flexible the OT is and how there is no ā€˜right wayā€™ to use it - just whatever works for your music and performance. Thx again

2 Likes

Hi guys,

We use this live-setup
:x32 -> rytm (Through)-> mpc1000 (Through) -> prophet (Through) -> octatrack (Through) -> nord waves

• iPad + Sherman Filterbank2 + Kaoss Pad 3 + Eventide Space

hereā€™s a little live-video:

Cylvester - Get You from Cylvester on Vimeo.

What do you think?

I have a few different setups but my minimal one consists of OT, A4 and Electribe Sampler.

OT Banks = Songs
The first pattern of each bank sends program changes to the A4 and ES2 so they are set up correctly. The part name = the tempo which I set manually as soon as the first pattern starts.

I use part 1 for the patterns I will use, part 2 for recording. The recordings are taken from anything in the studio captured into the OT. All tracks are Flex these days, paranoia about saving wear and tear on the CF card, silly I know.

I donā€™t have any standard for the tracks or what they do except T8=mastertrack, just to try and restrict me a bit and so I can drop everything into effect mush or filter the whole lot with an ending scene.

My scenes are progression through the main pattern, whatever it is. I try not to do too many patterns since I canā€™t remember later which are the good ones. Scenes typically perform fade or effect transitions between songs but also bring in LFOs, freakify samples, do things specific to one track which I later completely forget.

I do transitions using other gear, usually by throwing noises from a Lyra-8 or Microgranny 2 into a Boss DD-20 and fading out most of the OT/A4/ES2.

My OT/A4 banks correspond to keys. So bank A is in Am, B is in Bm and so on. If I get to H/I these are entirely percussion and keyless. I use the OT inputs to handle the A4 and ES2 and the A4 inputs handle a Microgranny 2 and SH-101.

I do sorta weird experimental Berlinish noodly occasionally beaty chilled out messy stoner shite.

Sorry, it looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CMf7sr2FkQ&feature=youtu.be

6 Likes

Tell me more! Small linear peaks?

1 Like

Hi guys, Iā€™m pretty new to the octatrack but I feel Iā€™m getting a good workflow so Iā€™m going to share my currejnt setup even if Iā€™m still working on it

My Music

Techno with ambient and dub elements

My Gear

Working on an Octatrack only live set at the moment, Iā€™m going to add a Shruthi, Nord drum and T-resonator as soon as I finish to write all the songs for the set.

My Octatrack Setup

1. Flex Filter, LO-FI
    kick drum + closed hihat or rimshot. I write the basic 4 on the floor rhytm with some variations for each pattern

2. Flex Filter/LO-FI, Delay/Reverb
    claps, snare drums, rimshots etc have their place here

3. Flex Chorus/Phaser, Plate or Dark reverb
    hihats track

4. Flex Filter, Delay
    Track mostly used for chord stabs.

5. Static Filter, Dark reverb/Delay
    I use this track for longer samples and for pads

6. Flex Filter/comb filter, Delay/Reverb
    Different for every song, it could be additional pad/stabs/synth riff/resampling of another track

7. Flex Filter, LO-FI
    Bassline track, here I mostly use single cycle waveforms

8. MASTER Compressor
    Master track with compression. Iā€™m planning to add another fx in order to use it as a global fx in transitions between songs

####BANKS
Each banks hosts two songs. Pattern 1-9 is a song, 10-18 another one.

####PARTS
Two parts per song. Usually the second part is for the transition

####PATTERNS
Each pattern is a piece of the song.

####SCENES
I use them to add variation elements to the song. I like to setup scenes in order to have two different ā€œversionā€ of the pattern Iā€™m playing.

####LFOs
I use LFOs for adding slight variations on some trackā€™s parameter-> hold on hihats, filter width/base on the pad track.
I like to control LFO depth with scenes

How I prepare the set

My samples come from my own productions and gear and from sound packs found on the web. I write the sequence for each track and use different patterns to add variations to the song.
Defined the structure of the song and the overall fx parameter settings I save the part and start jamming changing parameters and experimenting with different settings. When I find some interesting result I start to lock fx, amp and lfo to scenes.

How I Play

I try to set my pattern and scenes in a way in which they almost always sound good so I can jam without having to worry that much

My Transitions

Iā€™m still figuring out how to make transitions between songs :thinking:

I have a gig in less than a month, I hope Iā€™ll be able to set up my set by then

4 Likes

This is such an amazing thread!

Thanks to everyone that has posted!
I used to have an OT and mostly used it as a mixer and effects box - but it was very educational reading through this.

1 Like