Octatrack as a groovebox?

Hi OT users,

I just got an Octatrack, I just begin to understand how it works compared to my beloved Digitakt.

I would like to use the Octatrack single for long live set (let’s say 45mn) using only patterns I made with DJ like transitions.

I would have like to know :

1. is it possible ? Is anyone using his Octatrack as a “standalone” groovebox for this purpose ?

2. how you would proceed to organise a set made of patterns and allow smooth transitions ?

3. is there a good tutorial somewhere about this topic ?

It appears that there is so much possibilities and content about this machine, I don’t know where to start, my poor english doesn’t really help neither :sweat_smile: !

Thanks for helping

Its more than possible, the OT actually shines as a groovebox. You could get more than enough of functionality from it without ever sampling anything. Theres plenty of tutorials on Youtube.

1 Like

yes and yes

This thread should have some info for you.
The question was asked very often, so the search function should give you further results to check out.

There is no specific way to do a standalone liveset. There are many options to achieve it. And everyone has a different idea of how a liveset should work.
But it’s definitively doable, you just have to figure out your specific needs in the first place, to ask more precise questions I suggest.
Imo it’s the best box for playing sets, since you can stream longer stems from the card, can do live resampling and remixing - which is also great for smooth transitions - and the crossfader is a super handy performance tool for animations

2 Likes

I’m using it almost exactly this way, except with one external mono controlled by an Octa MIDI channel. Have it set up like this:

T1: Kick
T2: Clap/Snare
T3: Closed HH/Perc
T4: Open HH/Perc
T5: Lead synth
T6: Vocal/sample
T7: Loops/Slicing
T8: Dedicated looper track for transitions

Synth is running direct in so no thru channel or effects. Also no master channel… Wanted to maximize the amount of channels I had for playing back samples, but would be nice to have Thru effects and a Master channel as well.

Using the transition trick to transition between songs, so I have the first 3 scenes set up as S1=T1-7, S2=T8, S3=T1-8. I’ll switch over to the new pattern, and use the filters on the looper track like I would in a DJ set while bringing in the other elements from the new pattern. Rinse and repeat! Then add in all your effects per channel, flesh out your scenes, add LFOs, and play with mutes and filters, and you have more than enough to keep a pattern interesting for a few minutes.

I’m playing a mix of brand new material I made on the Octatrack and remixes of my own songs that I made by chopping up my stems I loaded in. There are obviously some limitations and headaches (generally associated with the OT), but I’m not sure if there’s another device that can pull this off standalone if you’re dead set on smooth DJ-like transitions.

So TLDR, it can for sure be done!

5 Likes

Yep as mentioned above there are many ways to do it. A lot of it comes down to figuring out a system that works for you. One thing that’s probably common for almost everyone’s system: heavy utilization of different patterns, banks, and parts. So I would say the first step is making sure you have a good understanding of how those work and then go from there.

1 Like

Yes. Ive done this. Played gigs with just my octatrack.

Same way you do it with any grooveboxy thing: write a pattern, save it, copy to next- change something save it, repeat until the end. Scenes and cross fader can be used for transitions. Or you can write transitional patterns which are much cooler in my opinion.

Maybe maybe not. Octatrack is so versatile, there is no right/wrong way to do anything. Everyone has their own spin.

The only advice I would pass on for writing live sets on the octatrack is. Learn how to gain stage correctly, less is more, the master track compressor is your friend. And finally, if you dont understand and use Parts, you dont understand the octatrack.

1 Like

Yep, the old tarekith transition video is on YouTube

1 Like

Actually the update is better IMO, as it’s smoother with the volume levels…

6 Likes

nice :slight_smile: