Octatrack: Is buying this a mistake in 2021?

Back in the day I did some timing tests using the ST with Cubase and Notator, average midi jitter was around 0.2milliseconds, which is similar to the Octatrack*, the ARmk2* and AK* fare even better at around 0.08milliseconds.

TBH I think anything sub 2 milliseconds is acceptable to most people.

*Triggering internal sounds, I did not test external midi.

3 Likes

I sold my Korg Poly61m for $80, that was definitely a mistake.

3 Likes

After practicing hella restraint for years and years, I think I may cop the black OT MK2 with my next paycheck since there is a bonus on it. Do I need another sampler? Hell no! Do I want the OT? YES. What have I done?

4 Likes

But youve learnt something :slight_smile:

I’m quite sure that OT is a much more capable and versatile companion for my AR and A4 than a DT. Especially when I look at postings like that:
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/the-octatracks-song-mode-is-dope-elektron-arranger-explained/162952/48

But again, without USB / Overbridge capabilities and considering the 2010 OT design and considering DT’s HW sampling / streaming limitations I’m afraid I have to wait for a successor that replaces current OT and DT. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

It’ll be 2022 soon…

2 Likes

Rename or new thread?

2 Likes

The machine is eternal

but are the CF pins eternal?

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a good question for Elektron

They were not already 10 years ago…

CF pins and encoders at the mercy of Thanos
(but they are more eternal than AR and A4 mk1 displays)

Fun fact - the ex-hurdy gurdy player of Coil came round to trim our garden a few months back.

Yes.

1 Like

Did he use a rotorvator?

10 Likes

The first wave of OT users no doubt.

3 Likes

You guys are seeing the OT from the 2021 perspective, try seeing it from the 2011 perspective. 1st gen users didn’t have Youtube to spell everything out for them. :joy: that’s why it got hit with the steep learning curve tag.

7 Likes

You know, I think he did! He’s the hand crank master.

2 Likes

I flagged all of your posts because OP asked a simple Yes/No question :sweat_smile:

Here’s my answer: No. (but only if you buy Stimming’s Mastering Unit)

2 Likes

Lol, what’s going on in this thread :smiley:

1 Like

I dunno, but I couldn’t miss the opportunity for a little bit of Coil based humour.

4 Likes

Anyone try this in an OT yet?
Wonder if a 64GB SDHC would work.