I just bought an OT Mk2

No, he suggested it so that you always know where it is I believe.

1 Like

No. Its just a good place to have set aside as a resampling bank.

3 Likes

Ah gotcha (still learning here)

Idem… BUT:
I bought an Mk1 and for sure it’s not as easy as Mk2, I bought it because of money and it was in ultra-mint condition.

I instantly fell in love with this machine but the shortcuts and buttons are confusing AS FUCK, the Mk2 buttons make totally sense and make the “jump” from DT easier.

2 Likes

Short update: after almost three weeks I can say that it easier than I expected.
Like I said I started using the OT as a Digitakt++ loading samples and composing some throwaway tracks just to experiment with the various functions.
I also read the Merlin’s Guide and the Manual (all the Manual…I printed it for simplicity).
Now I’m starting with sampling and looping following the manual instructions and the EZBot’s videos…and it works! :smiley:

Then…super happy with my OT.

…now I only have to learn to write good music :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

One week in, my second encounter with the OT.

Where I tried to know it in and out the first time, for now I just hooked up my XD, Bassline and Collider fx box (on the cues) to noodle away.

Love it. When I develop other needs, I will see how the OT will get me there.

Give it time. A seed does not become a mighty oak tree in a day.

2 Likes

Heads up - Midi tracks note length set to INF will be cut short (not INF) when switching to a pattern with a different part that has different or even the same midi settings. Took me a while to figure out what was happening.

So what is the issue with the ping pong delay? It seems it does not do much or zero when you turn it on! Any hints? The DT and others have a clear stereo ping pong but on the OT even when enabled I do not hear a difference… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

maybe try panning the source/track, no?

Hu?

The way it usually works is that a ping pong moves the delay left and right… the manual says this as well.

X sets if the delay will act as a ping-pong delay or not.

But for me it does not seem to do anything… or is it so subtle?

Agreed that it is very subtle - as @door suggests, I find it most prominent and obvious when panning the source via Amp Balance.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the stereo image actually reverses with every tap in ping-pong mode (and the manual doesn’t descrbe it verry accurately), which means the more centered a sound is in the stereo field the less movement there will be, instead of mono delay with the taps alternating left and right. Both kinds have their advantages and disadvantages, and it would have been nice to have both types available, but if they had to choose one I see why they went with true stereo.

For mono-in ping pong they would actually need two new modes and a depth control for it to be really useful, since you would also need to choose whether the first tap was panned left or right, and how wide the taps were panned.

3 Likes

I bought the OT last summer. Spent a month trying to get into it. Hit walls. Gave up. But, based on the advice (to others) here, didn’t sell it. Just spent a weekend with it up at my cabin where the weather was terrible and hiking no good (a few feet of crusty uneven snow and ice everywhere), so I spent several hours a day for the past three days, pludging through Thavius Beck’s video tutorials I purchased at AskVideo (MacProVideo) with my Octatrack sitting on my lap connected to my iPhone for simplicity. I had multiple breakthroughs (for me) and my OT anxiety has abated. Mainly, I finally understand (until I forget again) the relationship between audio tracks, recording buffers and sample slots, as well as when it makes sense to use Flex machines and when it makes sense to use Static machines. Pretty basic stuff, I know, but I am beginning to see how I might actually use the OT with my other studio equipment without worrying so much about hitting walls. I still have a lot to learn, but am feeling glad I still have the OT.

11 Likes

Ok panning makes it more obvious but it is still weird but hey… I am wondering if I use a mono sample if that makes a difference. Will play with it some more…

Boo

35 likes and one boo.

2 Likes

Is that ironic response or serious?

It is a (forum in) joke related to another thread, which asked the question if buying an Octatrack “makes sense” in…insert year (it was 2021, or 2020, or 2022, I don’t recall and can’t find it with a quick search.)

with support from

Anyhow yes, big mistake, couldn’t make a bigger mistake, you should get it out of your life by sending it to me etc. etc.