Octatrack: Is buying this a mistake in 2021?

Given that both the Akai Force, MPC Live 2, and the Maschine+ are less expensive than the Octatrack, how well does it compete in your opinion? I mean, let’s go through the list:

• the sequencer on the Akai Force and the Maschine+ are far more capable than the octatrack’s, and both are capable of more than 8 midi tracks

• Both the Akai Force and Maschine+ can run software instruments; in the case of the latter, literal VST’s; while the Octatrack still uses reverbs from 2010

• In terms of hardware (screen, buttons, I/O) all of the aforementioned devices blow the Octatrack out of the water

• The Octatrack is the only device here that can’t be integrated with a DAW.

I could keep going, but you get the point… What I’m curious about is:
Octatrack users, what is it about the Octatrack that keeps you using it considering the competition? Would you still recommend purchasing it in 2021?

1 Like

The Octatrack is timeless. :sunglasses:

30 Likes

I would yes. People still buy guitars don’t they? I know that wasn’t the question but if it works for you it works.

I haven’t tried the likes of an MPC or Polyend Tracker to name a few but I like limitations so the lack of DAW integration appeals to me.

I’ve skipped between multiple DAWs over time and even dipped into synths including modular.

The OT is versatile. You can literally make anything with it.

The Haxan Cloak does (or at least did if I’m correct) produces in a DAW and uses the OT for live performance.

I have an OT, zoom H5 and some DT990 pros. My aim is to produce, sample, arrange record etc solely with the OT because I choose to.

Depends what you want so maybe watch some videos on the aforementioned devices and see what you currently have and decide if you want something new or to integrate your current gear.

If you don’t like it just sell it to @brucegill

7 Likes

What would you do with it?

Do you know how it differs from the other instruments you are considering?

11 Likes

I am interested in answers to this.
For now, all I can tell is OT is way more beautiful :heart_eyes:

And OT users usually end happy.

Seriously, I love OT immediacy (once I’ve learned to master it), I can really come up with something in no time and keep mangling it in interesting ways… It’s really a unique performance oriented sampler IMO.

The other samplers you’re talking about, and others such as the Deluge, look more like DAWs in a box, to me. I’d love to try a Maschine+, though.

16 Likes

for me, it’s more like an instrument, where the others you named are more complete DAW-in-a-box devices. The only one from your list I’ve owned is MPC 2 Live and while very powerful, it was also confusing and I loathe touchscreens. OT is like learning to master an organic instrument. It’s just very unique.

9 Likes

You are really focusing on the negatives here? :slight_smile:

A lot of Midi sequencers can, and do, run circles around the Octatrack. Midi sequencing is not Elektron’s strong point.

Both the Akai MPC / Force / Maschine+ can run headless VST’s due to them both running Limux cores. This is the future, and expect to see that next from other manufacturers.

I expect Elektron will have similar soon; along with everyone else. The trick is who is going to bring out an api / make an open platform etc.

Irrelevant really, no?

If that is a primary concern / red line; not much to do about that. But I would say there are literally thousands of instruments that “can’t be integrated with a DAW.”

Now look at the positives?

• The Octatrack is a unique beast of a machine.
  • You can quite literally play for live sets stretching hours on the Octatrack.
  • It can be a sample playback device, remix tool , looper, fsu box, mixer.
  • Think/compare what the Octatrack can do on the audio side compared to those other devices you’ve listed.
  • DAW integration is overrated. 98% of all gear I’ve ever owned “can’t be integrated with a DAW.”; the ones that could I’ve barely used; apart from the Virus TI because of it’s UI/UX
  • 2010? I’ve got an Octatrack (First run) and a MD MkII UW+ (2005) sitting here next to me; as I look over at my rack, I see a E-Mu Sampler (1998)… age isn’t important when it comes to gear.
  • I could keep going, but I need another coffee.

What is it you want / what do you need? As this will help the community provide options / view points?

I am interested in the Force, but that is because I want something that I can just jump into that is not the Octatrack. But I am a special case as have a serious love/hate relationship with the Octatrack.

tl;dr:

No. It is however a unique instrument; so is not for everyone depending on the persons needs / requirements / usage etc.

21 Likes

My Novation BassStation 1 is about 30 years old. A Moog would be meatier and also silkier, an MS10 or 20 would scream more and make better percussion; the v2 is a much better synth. It’s knobs are shit. It’s buttons are worse. It’s a plasticky dust trap. I’ve owned one almost half my life. This is my third. I don’t think I’d be the same person without one.

My Juno 106 is 40 years old. It’s limited, and we’ve heard all its sounds 1000 times each. It’s almost boring, and 3 of its voice chips are dead. It’s not even velocity sensitive. My Prophet Rev2 is way more flexible, interesting, diverse, and works properly. But I’ll (probably) never sell the 106. It has… something magic about it. Instant fun; confidence, it doesn’t mess about.

There’s basically nothing my OT does that I couldn’t also do in Ableton (which I have a license for). But the OT is more fun, quirky, surprising, weird and, currently, inviting.

4 Likes

…well…u miss the point really…

when u say…those other sequencers are more capable…
u clearly never experienced that sequencer ur judging here…

this machine has too many reasons for it’s fame…too many ways how to use it…

it’s a classic…a music instrument…11 years in the game…still the same…
made in europe…not china…

and to list all it’s special uniqueness one more time…just have a look around here…
enough said about it…
so stop bothering…some people love it…some never get why…

…and u sound obviously like u made ur decision already anyways…
u checked ur checklist and ur good to go…
u gonna be more than happy with ur choice…
since they both got such nice eye candy screens to comfort ur ears… :wink:

8 Likes

Thanks for your answers! Truth be told, I’m asking this questions because I’m just about to pull the trigger myself on an Octatrack, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I might end up being disappointed by the difference between what I was expecting from it and what I’ll actually be getting.
Sequencing is one of the more important things I’m looking for… I understand that the Octatrack is seriously limited when it comes to that, so how’s it been working for you guys?

It’s fucking irritating. But it’s also incredible and really fun. It’s both frustratingly limited, but also very quick and powerful. You have to work around, or work with it. Some things you take for granted in, say, a DAW, are a real chore. Other things (e.g. p-locks and sample locks, the arps) are revelatory and joyous.

2 Likes

Not to beat a dead horse but “buy what makes sense to you” regardless of year/brand/perception is the answer.

Saying the OT is limited when it comes to sequencing when the sequencer (internal) is the most powerful feature it has is a bit cheeky I would say. MIDI (while powerful) is not the reason an OT is good kit. However you can get a bunch of LFOs and song mode. It’s delicate when it comes to MIDI (IMHO) in terms of learning curve. It is powerful but not the same as what you are comparing it to.

1 Like

Having used DT DN and Rytm2 the OT definitely felt a bit dated imo.
Lack of OB is a pain tbh.
But if you’re using it as a live mixer resampler its great. A classic for sure but I think it was probs a lot more insane 10 years ago when it came out than now but its still a great tool if you know how you want to use it!

2 Likes

Could you please elaborate on what about the sequencer you find frustrating?

1 Like

The octatrack is not a DAW like the akai or the mpc. It’s an instrument on it’s own.

With all the complexity of the MPC and maschine you en up staring at the screen a lot, the workflow is getting pretty much the same as using a laptop.

I bought my octatrack in 2021 and I love it. I don’t use a computer for my composition (I record directly on a multitrack recorder). I find it simple (although everyone says it’s sooo complex) and it just fit in my right with my two other synth and my effect pedals.

I am really not attracted to the newer MPC (I had a 1000 for many years, loved it!) or these newer ‘almost laptop’ music making machine - I don’t really see the point in them as they don’t fit my workflow.

4 Likes

This is really suspicious… do you really have a legal license ???

8 Likes

Just had to add that in there. Suspect…:joy:

1 Like

perfect statements.
The Octatrack is an instrument.
you have to learn how to play it and practice it and keep up your chops.
ive only had mine a little of a year, just barely dipped my toes in and still looking at the reflections on the surface but now i know that it is as deep as id hoped it was and that i intend on taking the rest of my time here learning it and using it and playing it.
Is buying a guitar a mistake in 2021?
its not if you intend on using it and playing it and practicing it.
Other things can do things it can not do.
It can do things in its own unique way.
its amazing.

2 Likes

Yes

It’s a dynamic performance sampler - the title is completely apt - think about those 3 words and consider if they are important to you.

However, if going in, I would say the biggest mentality you can take with you on your Octatrack journey is acceptance. Try not to wish it was something that it isn’t, and accept the unit for what it is and does. If you accept the Octatracks workflow, or agree with it, you can open up a lot of interesting sound design and performance doors.

The OT of course is not the most capable sequencer out there, but the sequencer is really only one aspect of the whole thing. It’s when it’s all taken together that the OT shines, and as people say, treating it like an Instrument. I think probably actually it’s better compared to a DJ mixer and decks, in Elektrons Frankenstein take, in that it can basically be learned and mastered like one learns a mixer and decks (albeit also containing a sequencer, looper, sampling tools, scenes etc etc)

6 Likes

Debatable, they are polyphonic, where the OT is monophonic, but OT has trig conditions, more flexible time signature, polymeter, p-locks, very precise etc.

The OT fx are perfectly usable, IMHO.

Not sure I can agree, I prefer OT buttons, the screen does the job well enough.

Personally I don’t see the point of buying a Force or Maschine+ if you are going to be using a DAW, isn’t the whole point of them to replace a DAW?

The Octatrack has no direct competition, it is rather unique, it is not really very similar to other samplers other than the sampling part. The Maschine+ and Force are more similar.

I would not recommend purchasing it if it does not do what you want to do.

I use mine in conjunction with a MPC One, they compliment each other quite well, the OT shows up as a removable drive in the MPC and they share the same sample rate, so easy enough to shuttle files back and forth.

12 Likes