Octatrack: Is buying this a mistake in 2021?

2 Likes

And what, exactly, was his involvement with that hole in the ground?

1 Like

I use these all the time in my old MPCs. I dunno what bus speed/interface is in the OT, but in the MPC, its IDE, so no point in using fast SD cards. The also are a hair thicker than a standard CF card, so they are a bit tight in the MPC slot.

ive seen a wifi version of these for 20ish quid on fleabay. id be more tempted to give that a shot

I’ve tried the wifi version as well. Didn’t really work. It was paired with its own app and just didnt show up like a remote disk. Range was SUPER short. Like 10’ and also only worked on 2.4ghz networks.

Have you heard his recent records, including the modular stuff with Steve Davis? All great stuff!

Thinking of which, I really should call something The Alan Staircase.

4 Likes

Oh nice saved me £20. There’s loads of talk on this on mpc forums from about 5 years ago but nobody bit the bullet and paid up lol. Think they were more expensive back then

Honestly, I’m surprised there isnt an improved version of it yet. I’ve looked at the wifi enabled SD cards people use in their cameras, and I’ve often wondered since they are newer, if they are any better, and just use the WiFI SD card with the normal CF adapter. I havent bothered trying this yet.

3 Likes

Sorry just had a few beers but thinking about the fact that Zelda Ocarina of Time is 32mb and made an indelible mark on me as a child so pretty sure that the 64mb limit of flex audio available will ever be a reason to write the OT off is insane

Almost certainly will delete this post in the morning :joy:

7 Likes

How old are you talking? I wouldn’t mind having one of those for my 2kxl if it worked.

Plus OT has 85.5MB of flex RAM, not 64MB :wink:

1 Like

If what worked? The SD to CF card adapter? They work. I still use them on my 1k’s and IDE SD card adapters for the internal drive as well. (my internal drive adapter)

Its been a really long times since I’ve had a 2kxl, but I think the floppy drive is IDE, so you can get an IDE SD card readers, but the cards are limited to like 1-2gb and like 15mb/sec

Theres also SCSI to IDE adapters for the internal drive. I remember these being kind of expensive back in the day, but I don’t know if they’ve come down in price or gone up due to scarcity.

1 Like

Wow, I just looked that up. I can’t comprehend how games like this and Mario 64 were created with such a small amount of mb…

Clearly have just N64 on the brain for whatever reason man :joy:

1 Like

The 2kxl is pretty picky about what cards you use (like a lot of gear from that era) so I was wondering whether you’d tried it on an MPC that old. The 1000 and newer are a lot more forgiving.

I have an MCD 2xl but I swapped the factory drive into a VP9000 because it (and the OEM equivalent, which is so rare that it hasn’t appeared for sale on eBay once since before 2012 when I set my alert) are the only CF readers that work correctly in the VP9000 (I’ve heard rumors online that some specific combinations of brand, type and capacity of CF card will work in it with some off the shelf readers but the specific cards people have had luck with are old, hard to find and expensive so I haven’t bothered trying that). I never got the factory card reader to successfully read an SD card, even though it is supposed to be able to and I was using name brand, period appropriate cards.

So a first hand successful use of an SD to CF adapter with modern SD cards in an MPC2000xl would be enough that I’d be willing to drop the money on one to try it, otherwise I have a lot of other stuff I could use that $20 or whatever for (right now, cables because I moved this fall and half of my cables are too short for the new space), so I’ll wait.

I don’t know of anyone offhand. And id im in your boat…it would be an experiment that investing more than 50$ in would probably be not worth it. There are some ones out there that do work, but when those prices are in and around 150+$, I’d pass.

Besides, how else gets to brag that they still got a pile of zip disks around :wink:

I’m super late to read this, but I was curious how your workflow is with the OT and MPC One. Mainly how you record your ideas from the OT and get them into the One.

I use the OT for its more accurate midi clock and sample accurate recording of timed specific length midi synced loops, then once I have what I need, (if I want to use them in the MPC) I just put the OT into USB disk mode, connect USB to MPC and it shows up in the MPC browser. Just remember to eject safely on MPC, works well.

4 Likes

Thats awesome. So you can record your hardware into the OT, mangle it up and then that file can be imported into the MPC via disk mode? I had no idea it could do that.

1 Like

Well if you record the mangled loop into the OT then save it to card first, yes.

1 Like