What are you trying to learn today?

Could you expand on this? So, you record, lets say using the master track, then play that recorded loop in a buffer track…What do you do with it then? Do you mean the buffer is continually getting changed from using filters and effects and then at some point you stop the record buffer? Or are you effecting the loop afterward? I’m interested. Thank you.

2 Likes

Awesome, I was unsure exactly how to use the Len, just tried this and it makes perfect sense now!

2 Likes

What I really want to learn and make use of is the “Plays Free” mode sequenced by another sequencer o with midi-feedback from the OT. I just haven’t been able to get anything useful out of it that doesn’t just sound off.

2 Likes

Many thanks! Was able to get it working well I still need to get the independent tracks muted. I was able to layer FX like dark reverb and flanger to the modular from the OT and sequence it. Next up is to sample the modular and remix it into the OT as a new sample then chop it up. Really loving my new modular setup with the two Elektrons. Learning modular is an ocean in itself but tons of fun. I was able to record samples into my DAW and here is a test result

Nothing fancy was just working to figure out how to record modular into my DAW. I can create some cool sets with the new setup now.

1 Like

I got around to trying this and NICE, this is a very powerful technique that works with the crossfader with lots of locked parameters. Thanks for sharing and clarifying.

How is your recorder buffer set to achieve this effect?

3 Likes

Yeah definitely! There’s probably also other ways to achieve this, I’ve seen @sezare56 share some stuff about it too I think. The way I’ve done it:

STEP 1:
OT Track 4:
32-step sequence, trig on step 17 (32steps)
Recorder trig on step 1 (Not a oneshot rec-trig)
Setting for recording set to 32 steps, little fade-in and fade-out, set to record track 4 internally.
AED menu: I think +12DB

Now it should already continually record and play itself. Only there’s nothing to hear yet.

STEP 2:
On OT Track 5 I sequence for example an 8-step techno loop with one or a few oneshots. Then I go the recorder menu of track 4, and change the source to record to T5 for a loop or two manually, and then I switch that source back to T4.

• If you do that switch in a break between notes it works fine. I’m not sure if there would be problems when recording a loop with continuos sound. I’m sure there will be other solutions then, with oneshot recorder trigs or something.
  • you can even record T5 by T4 (or any other of course) whilst T5’s track level is down. Internal sampling still works then I found.
  • shit wíll get out of hand if you don’t watch out very well, watch out for your ears and speakers, seriously. For example, if you set the AMP on +1 on the looping track, I think a minute later the track will really start to peak my Mixers master channel into orange/red.
  • Also, connected to that, I think low frequencies can accumulate and feedback out of control. Not sure about the details yet, but I’ve been low cutting about 35-40 on the OT track filter standard to not let this happen.
  • Before you start mangling, set up the looping track so that no amp or effect is causing the loop to change over the time of a few minutes. Then you know how to “lock” the loop without feedbacking out of control.
  • I think if you set the AED of the looping track, set to recorder buffer 4, to +12DB I think the loop should be staying the same volume.
  • Fun times! Flick the delay once quickly, and the loop will keep it. Use filter highcut and lowcut, or resonance, to change the loop. Sometimes the loop will get a bit louder or softer, use amp to steer it back. Fade it out by just setting it to AMP -1 and start working on a new sequence on another Track to record next.

Clear?

(Edit: I’ve no idea why part of my text has become large / highlighted)

6 Likes

Thank you for such a detailed explanation. I’m going to try this tmrw… I’m not sure exactly what is going on tho. Because the play trig is on the 2nd bar and the rec trig is in the firststep, and it’s recording itself you get a feedback loop huh… sort of a controllable feedback using the filter and amp to hold it back from the brink? Think I’m just going to have to try it. Nice, thank you. I hadn’t heard of this technique. I make technoish stuff too
Edid- Okay, I just did it…too curious oh my wtf? Wow. Very cool!! But I’m a little confused on what the heck it’s doing. Whatever it is it’s interesting. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You got it to work?? It’s great right??

Well basically you have a track that’s recording and playing itself. As long as you feed it some sound before the feedback loop, then it just plays and plays itself, but incl all the changes that happen continuously instead of repeating a fixed loop. I think it comes from the time of tape delays / tape loops.

1 Like

Wow…Not completely sure where this would go in my workflow (need to find the right material to put into it), but damn feedback loop glitch…Hard for me to jump back to record setup in time to stop the feedback at the right time. Also learned something (also not sure where I would use this) when not in rec mode in recording setup mode when I press the trig buttons, it plays the sample at different random parts. Coolio. Wowz

1 Like

What Am I trying to learn today?
Why does the TR-8S sometimes drop/add a note when switching patterns?

Pattern change controlled by octatrack using midi ch16 to send program change.

1 Like

Btw, does this configuration switch patterns or does it cycle through variations A-H and then to the next pattern?

Totally depends how you set it up. If you have 8 variations ( so an 8 bar phrase) but you tell octatrack to change patterns every bar, then those variations wont get heard because the pattern change will happen first.

So pattern changes over rule variations. Regardless of where the command comes from.

Or you could have OT say change patterns every 16, then do your variation changes manually, or chain them. Up to you.

I am currently really enjoying using the TR-8S sequencer to write nice 8 bar patterns, which can include a fill every 16 bars, (not to mention step loop function which if you have good timing produces nice unusual random fills) with pattern changes driven by octatrack to produce some very tasty tunes indeed if I do say so myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Could you post an audio example?

1 Like

OK! Will try later this afternoon I think. I might post a small video, I’m not sure if the audio will make very clear which element is the original source and which will be the loop. Maybe if I just do a loop without other sounds, and tweak it specifically to make the example come across, audio will be understandable enough

1 Like

Okay managed an example already!

0m00s: First you here a simple 8-step loop with a synth sound and a percussion hit on Track 5.
0m08s: I pull the track level down for the purpose of this example. Not needed in normal use to do it this early.
0m10s: Here I briefly switch Track 4 to record the loop from Track 5.
0m13s: Here the recorded loop in the buffer of Track 4 kicks in.
Shortly after, I switch the T4-recorder menu back from recording T5 to recording itself (T4). Now all you hear is T4 playing and recording itself continuously. You could now very slowly let the loop degrade, or make it evolve nice and slow. But for our exemplary purposes I’ve done the following:
0m27s: I give the delay one brief swing, and quickly back to zero again. From now on, as the track is recording itself, the delay will be part of the loop.
0m35-50s: I play a bit with the HP and LP filters, and the resonance. Again, everything I do once is now part of the loop.
0m50s: Around here I gave it a sprinkle of reverb I think.
0m56s: Add kick, hats and snare for educational purposes.
1m36s: I bring back the percussion hit from the original loop on T5, but move it one or two steps. Bringing back the original loop but offsetting it, or changing the track length, should provide some nice syncopation.
Done!

Obviously this can all be applied way more subtle and slow evolving. But the idea is easy: sequences or loops that you can keep evolving, but that will never be what they once were.

Edit: so, what’s this kind of method called actually?

3 Likes

I think it can be considered like a delay. :content:
Sound is degraded quicker with filter on.
I prefer to use CUE, more control.

1 Like

I sort of like the degradation of it!

How does it work with Cue? You send Cue and return it into inputs C+D for example? And then record those?

Edit: and now I’ll stop about this technique. Curious to hear again from others about what people are (trying to) learn(ing)!

Example! :loopy:

T1 > Drum loop CUE send
T2 > CUE rec, CUE play with a Flex, CUE send, plocked pitches, filter, delay
T3 > Neighbor, 2 comb filters, CUE send

4 Likes

I set up my Model:Cycles and my Digitone last night for a quick techno jam. I learned that to mute tracks on both at the same time I need to get better at holding FUNC with a pinky while reaching for a track button way on the other side of the M:C. Vice versa for the DN.

1 Like

Or send CC from one to the other :wink: