Octatrack DJ

There’s 128 static slots but size is only limited by card size…
Edit: OK, 2GB… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A single Static sample can be as big as 2 gigabytes.

It was the same on my RC 505, that’s why I checked. :wink:
More than 3 hours. Enough ? :smile:

5 Likes

This, I believe is because the largest supported filesize on a FAT formatted system is 2GB, right? I run into this issue all the time at work with video files that cannot be copied on USB sticks (they are all formatted as FAT, not exFAT like I’d do it nowadays) :diddly:

1 Like

I think so. My ex was fat too.

COMPACT FLASH CARD SPECIFICATIONS
Cards supporting UDMA and at least 133x (~20MB/s) for both reads and writes are compatible
with the Octatrack. Cards must be FAT16 or FAT32 formatted, preferably FAT32. Up
to 64 GB Compact Flash cards are supported.

I know this because I read the manual this weekend lols But the max file size is 2GB, that’s what it says in the manual anyway : )

Opps, someone said it already. Never mind lols

2 Likes

I quoted the manual. :wink:

1 Like

I’m thinking the best way to prepare for live sets using original material from an Elektron drum machine is maybe, after the learning stage, start recording 96 bar vignettes, ‘quick performances’, of song grooves, into a daw … as a single stereo file track recording, maybe two tracks together tops. The recording is for exploring snippets, a gentle cat-and-mouse game between the entire arrangement of sequenced sounds in a pattern playing, sometimes muting parts, possibly switching to a related pattern with a very similar backbeat.

In this way, all the sounds playing get an opportunity to be solo’d for a number of bars, thereby making it easy to then use a Flex machine and resample a two-bar snippet from a long-play sample looping on a Static machine. So, of an entire 96 bar recording section that sounds great and contains a number of usable sections, the only work required in the daw after recording is to set the start point in the correct position and export one single 96 bar loop.

Possibly this technique of content preparation using a daw paves the way forward, allowing studio-zone creation of original, progressive, varying-groove content with a vague theme to it, and a number of conveniently sparse sections for sampling and repurposing in a live context. Also, having a nice smooth creative professional 96bar progressive/subtractive “live” feeling audio track mix prepared in a daw and exported ready for live use on the Octatrack is a fabulous way of preventing overly repetitive episodes during a set.

1 Like

Is it worth it to grab something like this down the line for my octatrack to be able to have more control over it’s functions?

I just found out that lemur on the iPad works too which is pretty cool !! I might do that

Try with Lemur, find your needs, and get a controller in function. Oktakontrol is not powerfull.

3 Likes

Many people seem to love using faderfox controllers for their octas

2 Likes

Said the wise man.

1 Like

This^

1 Like

Cool, that makes sense.

Be fun to see which one you end up keeping. TBH if I wanted to DJ I’d probably use Ableton or Traktor, but the elektron gear shines in other departments.

I hear ya - I was looking at a bunch of things before I even considered the octatrack. It was a funny journey for sure lols After spending so much time with both the octa and rytm I feel I’ve made the good choice for me :slight_smile: The biggest thing I learned to be true for me, is that even though I love traktor, mpc stuff, abeleton, etc. The furthest those things could go is DJing or mixing for me. I have learned that I can actually make songs with the octatrack in a way I’ve never done with my computer or anything else. I’m not very old but I’m old enough to know what makes me more creative, and I’m not sure if it’s the parameter locks, the cross fader that can do way more weird stuff then anything I’ve heard, the fact it has two inputs on the back or that you can cue some of those things out separately, the weird menu system or how all those things come together.

Tied with the 80 something meg RAM it has, which didn’t seem like much to me at first but I don’t need to use flex audio as much as I thought. It’s important for recording into the octatrack I found out, but 40 seconds is more than enough for me because I just store it on the internal card after and free up the ram again. Static audio can be altered in lots of ways, there’s not as big of a difference between static and flex as I thought. Like in flex you can reverse, in static you can’t but in static you can do slices, loops, and everything else you pretty much need to do so you don’t really need to fill up the flex section (my experience with it). You can’t record into static but it’s a simple process of recording into flex and then just saving the sample so you can use it whenever.

But to answer you question I will probably get both (if I can lols). The new rytm isn’t coming out till Oct but that gives me time to save some money and stuff :slight_smile: I love the ocatrack for it’s sampling but I also love the rytm for it’s cool analog drum sound, fun interface, and over bridge. So I think I just have to get both!! lol I’m really looking forward to travelling with the octrack, and having it almost like a personal diary. Not a literal one, but the sounds of my life, always with me. Like recording people by the beach and make a song out of it, or birds in a new place and mix it with relaxing drums and other things. I just luv that kind of stuff and I can’t wait to fill my diary !!

6 Likes

I always thought the OT was like Live Lite in a box with a dedicated hardware UI.
Adding RYTM is like having a “drumRack.”
I spent years f’ing with Live and Controllers, nothing felt as immediate and solid as the OT.
Never thought of DJing with them, I prefer the ease of records.
I feel like the OT audio stretching would drive me bananas.
Still though, OT RYTM combo is :boom:

2 Likes