Octatrack crossfader curve settings

On DJ mixers there is a setting for the crossfader to make a smooth slow fade. Or fast fade, so you can do a lot of scratching with your mixer!!
I wish wish wish that this can be a setting for the octatrack. I have emailed elektron and have not had any reply yet. That was early this summer.

1 Like

I’ve thought about this idea! It’s interesting, when you are using two tracks with the full volume (track 1 has full volume at scene A and 0 at B against track 5 that has full volume at scene B and o at A.) When you set crossfader at the middle - volume is less (both tracks are playing), than at A or B.
I think this is good idea to create curve setup, and, if it possible, to create mid position, that can be scene C, or something like that…

1 Like

Really appreciate the support on this topic!! Anyone chime in and maybe we can finally get some attention on this

If you literally sent an email, but did not raise a support ticket via Elektron’s support website, then you would be less likely to get a response.

I emailed 4 different contacts I have at elektron and had multiple conversations even on the phone with some employees. I emailed all parties I know in hopes this will finally get some attention. :slight_smile:

What did they say on the phone?

I was just thinking about this the other day. +1

I actually chatted today on the phone with one of the Elektron peeps. What I initially spoke about was trying to do everything just on an Octatrack.
But if you imagine scratching, your one hand is on the fader the other is on the record manipulating pitch/rev/forward.
I don’t see the OT can do all these functions

I was told this topic is at least on the wish list. A lot on their plate this may not be any sort of priority.

Recommendation was; stacking LFO’s maybe with a square wave??
I am gonna do some experimenting my self with samplr for the iPad and the OT

I also asked two other ? About the OT.
Can it hear midi sustain messages from a midi keyboard?
Can it record crossfader movements to the sequencer?

There are ways to fine tune this, and perhaps even eliminate steps. But here’s how I make the crossfader do VERY quick cutting.

Place fader on side A, with a blank “scene 1”
Design an LFO which has maximum level for its entire waveshape.
Assign it to track volume.
Assign LFO2 to LFO1 depth, use the designed LFO shape
Assign LFO3 to LFO2 depth, use the designed LFO shape
Create a “scene 2” which maxes LFO3 depth.
Assign “scene 2” to the opposite side (B) of the fader

What this does is creates a track volume increase which goes from a value of zero quickly to full value with just slight movement toward Scene B.

Creating a “fully on” LFO which affecs the depth of “fully on” a LFO which affect the depth of “fully on” LFO which is assigned to a parameter is the way to “tighten” your crossfader curve so that minute movements will have drastic results. This may even be do-able with fewer LFOs, but it’ll take some research.

:wink:

5 Likes

Thanks for all your help with this!
Can anyone say they have tried this and had it work really well???

I ran this test and wanted to clarify on some of your wording here.
All bold and underlined is where my confusion is in your explanation.

So I tested this and am not sure if I completely did this right, because it still isn’t doing quite what I was saying. It’s not creating a quick enough change still, I want an instant 0-100 as soon the fader moves NO volume change in between that.
Which scene would have a volume 0 value setting?? Do I need to turn the volume down , and the lfo triggers it open??

Place fader on side A, with a blank “scene 1”
Design an LFO -(you mean LFO1?) which has maximum level for its entire waveshape.
Assign it to track volume.(there are multiple volumes for each track, playback page or amp page? When you say assign do you been to the scene?)
Assign LFO2 to LFO1 depth, use the designed LFO shape
Assign LFO3 to LFO2 depth, use the designed LFO shape
Create a “scene 2” which maxes LFO3 depth.
Assign “scene 2” to the opposite side (B) of the fader

What this does is creates a track volume increase which goes from a value of zero quickly to full value with just slight movement toward Scene B.

Creating a “fully on” LFO which affecs the depth of “fully on” a LFO which affect the depth of “fully on” LFO (umm… That just went right over my head

1 Like

Hi,
sorry tried searching but couldn’t find much regarding this.

Is there a way to modify the xfader curve on the OT? Seems like the default curve is very unsuitable to fast cuts on the fader (ie. blend mode)?

Sharp cuts on the fader are a must for any turntablist etc techniques.

Please tell me it can be done :wink:

The crossfader interpolates between designated values so there is not really a curve as such, more like having a fully open crossfader setting on a DJ mixer. Sliding between larger values is smoother, smaller values ‘step’ while sliding. You probably already know this though!

So it’s always a linear curve between the two states? Another bummer. Need to come up with some fancy midi scripting and use an external fader then.

Kinda feeling like the xfader is missing a lot of it’s potential this way tbh

Doesn’t bother me too much. That’s what slide trigs are for. I do think there’s probably a way to get other curve types on the crossfader since its controlled by midi cc. Maybe get a expression pedal and setup a velocity curve.

If the linear response curve isn’t doing it for you and you have another controller you prefer, you can control the crossfader with CC # 48.

yeh thanks, already building a BMT script. I got stuck sussing out the routings though :joy:

I’m sure I’ll get it working soon

Instead of assigning the crossfader to a specific parameter, like volume, assign it to LFO1 depth, with LFO1’s destination assigned to LFO 2’s depth, with LFO 2’s destination assigned to volume. That way you’re exponentially increasing the amount of control data sent to the final parameter over a short distance.
:sunglasses:

and of course the shapes for those two LFOs should be created in the LFO design area, and the shape should be a flat line at the highest value…aka full value at every step.

What you’re trying to do is leverage internal control data.

8 Likes

Nice one!

thanks! refresh screen, I just edited post and added some details

1 Like

Much obliged Mr droid!

cheers