Octatrack crossfader curve settings

Has anyone successfully made this work?
I just bought a Numark pt01 scratch and modified it with a dope ass crossfader by jesse dean designs. I am scratching like a fiend and have a little more knowledge on how a cross fader works.
So there is a resister or potentiometer inline that could in theory be adjustable… if we can’t put our minds together and make a video that can successfully demonstrate devons theory than I may open my octatrack up and modify it :sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::poop:

IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE!!!

yeah, this works well enough. You have to spend all your LFOs on it though.

Sometimes you find a sweet spot, inbetween a & b.
Would be nice to set that position as end or start.

I was under impression OT fader was optical so wouldn’t be a resistor/pot type…

http://www.elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=169718&catid=9&limit=10&limitstart=20

Infinium Optical Crossfader

Interesting idea, but why not just set that sweet spot’s values to a or b on a different scene?

How ?

It’s a manual process, but you could do it by interpolating between the scene A/B values and using those as your scene. Of course, it’d be much easier if it allowed for locking the values at a certain fader position to a scene…

I see what you mean. It would be a little more complicated trying to modify that…

Anyone who thinks this process would be easy. Could you make a video and demonstrate how to Set this up and execute it?
Basically I want to input a turntable to the octatrack and use the octatracks fader to cut and scratch records. With a quick cutoff curve.
Cheers!

That would be fine too!

But…will there be any updates/bugfixes coming for this machine ?

set an LFO (custom) to control input track’s volume (from the env/amp page for post-fader fx) or xlev. Then set all other lfos to modulate the depth the first LFO (again, custom shape).

design the custom LFO to be a very narrow pulse/ramp, shape something like:

use the same shape for all lfo’s

then use a resampling flex machine on another track for capturing/looping your cuts

1. Set scene a/b min/max as usual with Xvol or xlev to get linear fader behaviour.
  2. Overlay this with amp vol at i.e. +9dB on the ‘min’ side of each scene.
6 Likes

Simple and clever, thanks

1 Like

How sharp a cut-in will this method give you? I’d love to use my LFOs for other duties and go with this method instead, but I need a really sharp cut-in (like a few millimeters or so)

With a 9dB curve i hear a faint trace of the infading channel at the first mark of the xfader and have equal loudness in the center. Matter of taste, try different values.

1 Like

That’s not like a Dj mixer yo! I set up your same set up before. I want from min to max by if not before the first line on the fader. That first dash mark from the off position. Then you can make fast cuts.
:slight_smile:

So, back to spamming LFOs then…

did you try higher ‘amp vol’ values, as i suggested?

I haven’t done to much testing lately because of work. But I did try higher amp volumes. I did find something that sort of worked?

Could someone else that’s trying to scratch records test this maybe??

I set an lfo to amp volume full on one scene and on the other scene I set xlev to off.
The cut off seems to happen right at the first line on the crossfader??
Maybe there is a better way to do this but this kind of works?!
:slight_smile: