Octatrack and Wavedrum

Hi. I’ve modded my Wavedrum in order to play thru OT as an insert fx or sample player aux in.
I soldered a cinch stereo out for sensors, and a cinch stereo in.
I can record sensors, and play them with fx, add other sounds that will be played thru Wavedrum’s algorithms.

Example with a one bar loop of Amen Break (only) played thru Tabla / Tampura / Sitar Wavedrum’s preset.

I’m just playing with OT crossfader and WD pressure (changing pitch for sitar / tabla).
Balance left > Tabla only
Balance Right > Tampura / Sitar
Another example thru several presets, same principle.
At beginning, first 4 bars, you can hear the dry Amen Break played with OT crossfader, and just after, from snare rolls, it’s thru Wavedrum algos.

I made promising tests with electric and acoustic guitars, a mic…thru WD.

28 Likes

oh my.

this is very nice.

3 Likes

This is awesome :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, but I’m not familiar with the Wavedrum and hard to tell exactly what is happening…

Can you describe the signal flow and what exactly the wave drum is doing?
Is the OT audio being run through the wavedrum?
What was the mod?

3 Likes

I want to know that too!

2 Likes

wavedrum is a ‘high tension’ drum unit for snares and other percussive sounds… I’m guessing he has managed to trigger it with ‘audio rate’ input instead of slapping it with hand or a stick. just like a resonator effect… i might be wrong though.

1 Like

Yeah that’s it I trigger WD with audio, Amen Break with OT.
The mod is soldering RCAs between sensors and Wavedrum algorithms processing.
It can play any kind of percussions, or melodic things like sitar, synth, with a definite scale.

8 Likes

That’s awesome. The sound is really super.

2 Likes

Crazy man!

Sooo… You’re sending OT audio out (Cue?) into your hacked WD mic taps to “trigger” the WD’s sounds, then running WD audio back into OT to use its FX?

Are you just sending something like a click to WD to simulate the mic picking up a surface strike?

Can you list where all the wires are routed? For example, it looks like you’re sending WD headphones into input C/D, but I can’t figure out what some of the other wires are doing…

1 Like

Yep.
I’ll describe with pics, I don’t have my computer so it’s not easy.
Easy to revert the Wavedrum as normal.

1 Like

WD Rca Out (sensors) > OT input AB
OT Cue Out > WD Rca In (algorithms processing)
WD Left Out > Input C

Track 1 > Thru A
Track 2 > Thru B
Track 3 > Thru C
Track 4 > Flex Amen Break

I’ll give another example with same Amen Break loop and other presets with different algorithms.
Really surprising and different results.
I think I can pan in order to have 2 separate outputs. Feedback is possible.

A Wavedrum demo, similar tabla preset used at 2’30

3 Likes

Very interesting.

2 Likes

Love this idea

That’s some cool hacking, my friend :wink:

Thanks so much for sharing.

1 Like

Anyone reading this in Melbourne Aus, there’s a guy on gumtree selling a wavedrum for $250 AUD! ($197 USD)

I would buy it just for this hack but I’m saving for others on my gear list

1 Like

Great idea! So now you can record a wavedrum performance and playback with different wd algorithms.

2 Likes

Yeah, and I can use external piezzos on other real percussions, as the Wavedrum mini already do. :thup:
Tested with the piezzo of an acoustic guitar, that became a great percussion ! Don’t need a cajon anymore.

The Wavedrum mini is cheaper, sound quality is below but if already can receive audio in it.

I never managed to get a single good sound out of my WD “Oriental Edition”. It sounds thin/tin-like, despite being run through a decent preamp + EQ.
How do you treat the sound to make it decent?

Wow! Makes me GAS for a wavedrum (i had one once, but with this hack i’d probably liked it a lot more!)

1 Like

I don’t treat the sound particularly. Compressor, Eq on high frequencies before sending sound to WD.
WD is not perfect !

This really nice. Great way to start my morning! Very cool technicals on the setup… but the music shines through! As in, it’s not experiment for experiment’s sake.

1 Like