Octatrack 64 breakbeat x 16 slices megabreak of doom:

No, it’s different than normal samplechains.

And utilizes only one track on OT!

My video is still uploading, then you can check how those MX chains would sound and how OT performs this technque.

I can also upload a folder with 16 MX chains and related .ot files - so you have only to load them on Flex list and create a simple 1bar pattern.

I just tried to knock up a description in Excel (beats doing the actual dayjob ;))

*edit: forgot to note that each sample has to be set to 64 slices (non zero crossing) in the OT sample settings page :wink:

Its basically a flexible way of working with looped material but being able to switch it up at any point of the loop rather than having to wait for the loop cycle to finish. You can cut from one loop to another while keeping the position of the loop intact.

4 Likes

that would be killer, sicijk. very clever technique but pretty sure I would die of boredom and frustration preparing all of the files… respect to you guys.

Having made a full 64x16 once and actually feeling my hair turning grey while I did it, nowadays I’ve just set up a template in Ableton where I can quickly add another break or loop to across all 16 files when inspiration strikes.

It only takes about 10 minutes to chop and add another break/loop onto the next free slice of each file, consolidate, export them to samples folder (overwrite old versions) and then whack them back into the OT.
Once you’ve replaced the 16 files then the new break/loop is avaliable immediately and already sliced :wink:

2 Likes

here that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgC9dThHIL4&feature=youtu.be i was speaking about.

folder with MX chains will come later but sooooon!

2 Likes

I had a look at that Excel sheet, but I´m not sure that I´m fully understanding the concept/benifits anyway.

But right now my head is quite full anyway. As I´m trying to setup an “matrix” structure myself in my midipatchbay/router regarding receiving, forwarding and/or filtering PC#s.

I want to be able to use an footcontroller to transmit PC#s to an AxeFxII + OT + G2 engine and perhaps some more gear. Control both globally as well as each unit individually. Hopefully all by just selecting specific programs in the midipatchbay itself, and it changes which channels (and unit) that will be filtered of PC#s (but them still possible to receive NN#s, CC#s, CLK and transport controls). And still possible to get back into responding again within the next coming PC#s.

Lots of nested (potentially bad) situations that needs to be adressed in advance. Don´t want to end up selecting a preset to only find that there´s no way of getting back to any previous presets…

Similar to your MatrixChains and its setting up/consolidating of new samples and all other preparations. It takes a long time to setup, copy/paste into several other locations and changing parameter and then saving…

Big thanks for that sicijk!

A bit clearer now, just need to understand how to prepare MatrixChains though. I am understanding it right that this was only (“readymade”) audio samples from somewhere else. Or have you programmed them yourself prior to getting them into Ableton and then getting them into MatrixChains?

By the way, is that NordModular G1 or G2 (in the video)? I´ve got G2 Engine myself, I´m trying to find a way of integrating it with the OT. Would be fun to get them almost to the point of them being in symbios.

Awesome!

No they’re not my stuff. I asked a friend of mine to create a random folder of 64 loops from what he has (there are, he says, VEC loops - Loopmasters - and i dont remember what else…).
I am planning to have my own material, but i dont have time ever to sit comfy and prepare.
About the NordModular…it is a G1 key…i love it---------even if now is not seeing much use because the A4 … but i like it a llooooot. Im also planning to sequence it from MnM.
About preparation of MX chains… i’ll try to create a step-by-step guide that gets help from that Ableton Live project i’ve posted before

And this is that 16 loops [MX chains folder](https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuavsjgcpl8yw4h/MX chains_16 loops.zip) (it derives from 16 loops, not 64…this was one of my first attempt)
All you have to do is to :
• load it in OT
• load Breaks1_MX16_A to a Flex slot
• then the others one after the other
• create a pattern of 1 bar with a Flex machine and put a trig one every step…so you got all 16 steps covered.
SampleLock first trig to the file labeled with ‘A’ - second to ‘B’ - third to ‘C’ - etcetcetc - then 16th trig to ‘P’.
• Activate Slice mode for Playback of Flex
• lock on SceneB the STRT parameter to 16.
• Press Play…

• is the magic happing? ^:^

3 Likes

This is so eu !!!

That sounds great.
I really have to stop scratching my lazy ass and give this a try
I will… soon

No they’re not my stuff. I asked a friend of mine to create a random folder of 64 loops from what he has (there are, he says, VEC loops - Loopmasters - and i dont remember what else…).
I am planning to have my own material, but i dont have time ever to sit comfy and prepare.
About the NordModular…it is a G1 key…i love it---------even if now is not seeing much use because the A4 … but i like it a llooooot. Im also planning to sequence it from MnM.
About preparation of MX chains… i’ll try to create a step-by-step guide that gets help from that Ableton Live project i’ve posted before

And this is that 16 loops [MX chains folder](https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuavsjgcpl8yw4h/MX chains_16 loops.zip) (it derives from 16 loops, not 64…this was one of my first attempt)
All you have to do is to :
• load it in OT
• load Breaks1_MX16_A to a Flex slot
• then the others one after the other
• create a pattern of 1 bar with a Flex machine and put a trig one every step…so you got all 16 steps covered.
SampleLock first trig to the file labeled with ‘A’ - second to ‘B’ - third to ‘C’ - etcetcetc - then 16th trig to ‘P’.
• Activate Slice mode for Playback of Flex
• lock on SceneB the STRT parameter to 16.
• Press Play…

• is the magic happing? ^:^ [/quote]
cool! the magic will be happening.

edit: just a quick note, i grabbed the download and many, many thanks. :slight_smile: i am guessing the ‘.ot’ files are not necessary, just the wavs…

gee they sure are funky! Rawr! :imp:

drag the whole folder.

the .ot files are important in the way they contain slicing information about the relative .wav file.

Otherwise you can omit them but then you have to manually slice 16 files and saving for each the settings.

Pick your choice =)

hmmm… i will choose to drag the entire folder :smiley:

many thanks GiGi, this is like uber next level, i feel very fortunate for your help.

-Jasper

im glad it helps…i felt the same as you when i grabbed this technique!

P.S.

keep in mind that the loops are not mine. But, you know, once inside OT…who can tell what is coming from where?

Is 64/16/n arbitrary? Could that number be higher? For example if the faders encoder values are 0-1023 is there any reason not to have that many slices?

I am thinking about a batch program which slices and builds the files.

for what i know, 64 is the max due to the maximum number of slices available inside OT

for what i know, 64 is the max due to the maximum number of slices available inside OT
[/quote]
Cool! Thanks!

4 pages of 16 trigs each, if using slices, that is a slice per trig

more slices would be an issue, especially if using features like creating linear locks

this technique doesn’t involve 64 trigs…just 64 loops sliced by 64 slices and 16 trigs to re-construct the original loop.
Sorry, I am not really understanding what you’re speaking about…