Octatrack 64 breakbeat x 16 slices megabreak of doom:

Hey Mike, the technique is fine.

It is actually useful for creating “standard” samplechains (if i’m understanding right)

But this Megabreak of Doom needs something more complex in order to get the right file to be played by OT.

Some time ago, also, I’ve posted in Sandbox something similar. But using only preloaded samples.

Your way integrate more the features of OT plus the ability to have nice conversation with external friends.

I will try yours with A4 in multimap for patterns,#needtomakeorder! ! :wink:

Nice! I’m just about to bring an Alesis DM Pro home that I’m borrowing from the drummer in my band. Might be fun exploring with MIDI and sample a few sounds. Planning to also use my NM G2 engine to conjure some half random beat patterns, and sample them as well…

Nice! I’m just about to bring an Alesis DM Pro home that I’m borrowing from the drummer in my band. Might be fun exploring with MIDI and sample a few sounds. Planning to also use my NM G2 engine to conjure some half random beat patterns, and sample them as well…[/quote]
uuuh…nord g2…really curious to hear something from there…!

some of the best stuff from the Nord G1 (inc micro) is the drum synthesis side, very usable, even the Nord Lead has some good va drums -the nord modular is mighty for going off-piste

NM G2 Engine is great fun. However, I´m nowhere fluent in patching in it, since synths aren´t my main instrument (and my understanding of them are vague). So even if I have thousand sounds/ideas in my head, I can´t always get them out from my NM G2. Luckily there´s a vast source of patches at electro-music.com, plus there´s always that Patch Mutator within reach. And since you can´t really patch anything wrong (where any damage could occur to it), it fits stupid persons like me perfectly… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hi there (i hope Wascal or Multiman will read this):

I am on the 16 loops loaded…so 16 slices in OT.
But,
how do you guys set up Live for having this technique using 8 files instead of 16?
Since the 128 slots allow only to load 8 variations (8x16 chunks) this is not really nice ,i mean: i would like to add 16 variations…so, using 8 chunks.

But, i am not finding a good way to perform a right operation in order to have OT to work it out fine.

Any suggestions?

huuuuge thanks!

-----EDIT_____SOLVED!!!-----

Hello, I am new to the boards and currently own an Elektron Analog 4 (which is an amazing machine). I am planning on purchasing an OctaTrack soon. This thread really intrigued me because I love dnb/jungle. I went ahead and used Ableton Live to create the 16 slices samples from 64 different breaks to be used by the OctaTrack. It was quite a bit time consuming, but I want to makes sure the samples will work with the OctaTrack and that I did everything correctly. Here is a link to a zip file containing the 16 wav files (ready to be used as a flex machine with 16th slices):

http://www.vidnotlaw.com/OT_INSTA_JUNGLE_MTX_SLICES_175BPM.zip

If someone that owns an OctaTrack could test these out and let me know if they work that would be great. I am not going to leave this link up for too long. There are quite a few “common” breaks in the samples as well as some not so common ones. Please let me know once you have downloaded the sample and tested them out.

Once I purchase an OctaTrack, I plan on doing this with less breaks, but more complicated ones for doing live sets. I plan on getting all kicks/snares in the same key and having bass lines/synths/stabs all within the same key and being able to switch stuff up on the fly as well as using the A4 for live sampling into the OctaTrack. I am really excited about this machine.

Thanks,

Vid

1 Like

Hi there, i am downloading the file.

I can just tell you that time consuming can be lowered using DrumRack in Ableton, and i swear i spent a LOT of time just to have the correct “encoded” files (the 16 ones)

As soon as i download i’ll have a fast listen to the rough files

EDIT

found the time to listen and also tried directly on OT…and i’m sorry but those files are not correct, and i believe not even as “normal” samplechains…sorry.

But i suggest you to wait for the OT to arrive: it’s best to try directly on the machine what you prep outside it. It’s a good way to know how the OT reacts.

And, trust me, once you have all prepared…kraaissht,that Machine is Evil!

Like a huge FunPark!

Well, I’m keep going on this beautiful thread adding my last minute eureka.

i discovered something really obvious but, since 64 loop samples are pretty unpredictable when it comes to Crossfader range, if you have 2 scenes, one locked to Slice1 the other to Slice64 and you set the default value to taste (like a basecamp loop to go back to) in Playback page, something really fun and controllable get disclosed:

playing with Scene Mutes - Fader - Default value gives huuuuuge moments!!!

I’ll try to create a video or something to show this really powerful OT’s under-the-hood feature
P.S.
thanks again Wascal!! you’ll be credited

1 Like

Cool… keep me informed once you have time to try out the files.
FYI, the wav files are labeled with the following format:
OT_INSTA_JUNGLE_MTX_#_of_16_175BPM.wav
Where # represents the slice position of the break.
Enjoy,
Vid

Mmmmh, im not convinced on the nomenclature…because if you have to check visually what you are assigning in OT, finding (with your names) which file is the 10th or the 14th (whateva) could be difficult (because you have to wait for the display to scroll and let you see the number)
Anyway…i use something like this:
MX64_Jungle_A (till letter O)

OR
MX64_Jungle_1 (till 16)

Mmmmh, im not convinced on the nomenclature…because if you have to check visually what you are assigning in OT, finding (with your names) which file is the 10th or the 14th (whateva) could be difficult (because you have to wait for the display to scroll and let you see the number)
Anyway…i use something like this:
MX64_Jungle_A (till letter O)

OR
MX64_Jungle_1 (till 16)[/quote]
Thanks for the info… Since I don’t own an OT yet, I didn’t even think about the names being long and having to scroll on the OT screen to read the full name. I will take that into consideration next time a create some samples for the OT.

Vid

1 Like

I’m going to have to figure out a faster process myself, the other day, I sequenced drum machine via midi from OT and to thru machine, saved to file and sliced…it took quite a while though and I didn’t do 64 hits either.

im currently doing some preps of oneshot drum sample chains, just four at a time, for the Machinedrum … maybe 8 samples on the one chain, maximum.

each sample chain will be very simple and very quick, just one shots one each beat or beat division.

making each sample chain of the same type of sound eg. snare or hihat.

going to also use these on the OT… import them and hopefully slice them accurately

then i hope to set the LFO to modulate the start parameter via slices on the Octatrack somehow, via free running random wave.

this could then introduce [LFO-based] variation into the instrumentation [sample choice/slice-start parameter] of sounds in a drum beat sequenced with one shots from samplechains.

I keep writing on this because the technique deserves a lot.

Matrix Chains are a completely different beast than Sample Chains.

Especially when it comes to prepare them.
I spent one full day just to make trials of how to set up Live in order to get the correct files if 64 loops were used or 24 or 16…

Then i also tried to create Matrix Chains with 8 chunks instead of 16 (in order to save some space in SampleSlots)…and time ran fast.

Anyway:

if any of you guys is interested i can send a Live’s Session with the midi clips that trigger correctly 8 DrumRacks (to be created by yourself) in order to get 16 encoded chunks of 64 sample loops.

All you have to do is to put the samples in Ableton; slice them correctly; then creating the drumracks; then few other operations and you’re almost done.

There are many steps to follow, but if anyone who didn’t yet try the fun coming from this technique - i can share a folder with 16 matrixed chains of 16 loops (it is more controllable than 64!). With also the .ot associated files (so you dont have to slice them once inside OT)

Let me know

2 Likes

that would be awesome!

yes i was being totally off-topic with my humble samplechains … Matrix Chains for the win! :imp:

well i would really like to try this… software version is Live 9 on mac.

Although when you make one of these with 64 samples it doesn’t neccesarily mean you have to use all of them at once - Its a useful way of saving sample slots :wink:

eg; I have one of these 64x16 break things set up in my current set with Part 1 (eg tune 1) using slices 1-4, part 2 (tune 2) using 5-8 and so on. This saves space in your sample slots and means you’re only mixing up a maximum of 4 breaks so its easier to get predictable / repeatable results.

I’ve taken to adding new beats or samples to these samplechains as and when I need them. So the ‘matrix chain’ thats currently in my Octatrack only has samples on slices 1-8 so far - slices 9-64 are all blank until I need to use them.

When I think ‘Hmm this might work’ then I just fire up Ableton, add the new sample slices across the 16 samples (in this case from slice 9 onwards), reload the 16 samples back into the Octatrack (overwriting the previous ones) and the new samples are instantly useable with the crossfader as slicepoints are already mapped in the OT.

Hope that makes sense! Its tricky to write clearly about these :wink:

1 Like

Although when you make one of these with 64 samples it doesn’t neccesarily mean you have to use all of them at once - Its a useful way of saving sample slots :wink:

eg; I have one of these 64x16 break things set up in my current set with Part 1 (eg tune 1) using slices 1-4, part 2 (tune 2) using 5-8 and so on. This saves space in your sample slots and means you’re only mixing up a maximum of 4 breaks so its easier to get predictable / repeatable results.

I’ve taken to adding new beats or samples to these samplechains as and when I need them. So the ‘matrix chain’ thats currently in my Octatrack only has samples on slices 1-8 so far - slices 9-64 are all blank until I need to use them.

When I think ‘Hmm this might work’ then I just fire up Ableton, add the new sample slices across the 16 samples (in this case from slice 9 onwards), reload the 16 samples back into the Octatrack (overwriting the previous ones) and the new samples are instantly useable with the crossfader as slicepoints are already mapped in the OT.

Hope that makes sense! Its tricky to write clearly about these ;)[/quote]
Yeah Wascal, you’re perfectly right and clear. I discovered a kind-of last night just playing around with Mute/Unmute Scenes and Default Start value. Is like having a controllable range.
Anyway (for the others), im uploading a shitty video i did to let listen how the “encoded” files (from 64 random 1-bar loops) would sound and how powerful this technique is: thanks Wascal!!!

P.S. Wascal, do you use drum racks in Ableton? Or do you use a different approach tio upload the Chain?

Thanks!!

i haven’t exported a samplechain yet and that is already days of planning and thinking, so … Matrix Chains must be freaky complexity level: over 9000

So [here](https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p4ecmb1qzpb8j0/MX CHAINS_64_default Project.zip) you can download the Live 8 project in order to build a 64 loops Matrix Chain.

the first audio track called “LOOPS” is were you put the selected loops.
DR1 >DR8 are the midi tracks where you have to put the created (see below) DrumRack by slicing the loops.
the last audio track called MX chain is a resampling track that get the audio coming from the 8 drum racks.

All you have to do is to take the first 8 loops you put in, then consolidate (cmd+J) then right click the 8 bars new clip and select “Slice to new midi track” with Built-in method and 1/16th division.

Live will create a midi track with a drum rack. filled with 128 snapshot.
Just move that drum rack to DR1 and erase that newly auto created midi track.

Make the same for another 8 loops and moving the created drum rackt to DR2…and so on.

Finally you can resample those 64 bars of midi and the new clip should be now divided by 16 segments.
Those segments will be your MatrixChains to be imported into OT and then sliced by 64.

2 Likes

hmmm… MatrixChains… that´s a new concept for me.
What´s the difference compared to normal samplechains (with its slices and all)?
Utilizing several tracks at once?