OctaEdit v2 is now live on IndieGoGo!

Yeah Elektron aren’t interested in an editor for Octatrack.
It was developed years ago way before OB
Don’t see how they should be expected to support it :thinking:

1 Like

Incredible work @Rusty is the full version of Octaedit essentially also like a software version of the OT, forgive me if I’m wrong but with the sequencer, arranger and so on does this mean I can make a whole project on my laptop, listen to it tweak it then save to CF card then load it into my OT? If so what kind of witchcraft is this?

Definitely going to back this either way.

“You’ve done a mans job sir!”

1 Like

Not quite… OctaEdit doesn’t have playback in the Sequencer; as I’d never be able to exactly emulate the Octatrack’s playback machines and FX etc. So apart from the listening to it; more or less. If I was to do that; I’ve then developed a full blown Octatrack emulator and editor and librarian and a whole lot more…

My energy is better spent on devloping hardware; and of course you’ll back that IndieGoGo as well won’t you :wink:

\o/

Thats a good thing, no?

5 Likes

Backed, man! I’m impressed with what you’ve created and I wish you the best with this software! You’ve certainly earned it!

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation - backed!

Hardware? Intruiging :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Is there a newsletter I can subscribe to, so I get a notif, once 1.2 is available?

1 Like

\o/

You’ll like it :wink:

Just need more funds and time… no surprise there.

Couple of options there…

Or pm your email; and I can add you to a mailing list?

1 Like

For every commercial organization spaning from automotive to music hardware companies the definition of “Quality” is nothing more and nothing less than a process focusing entirely on satisfying the needs and expectations of their customers with regular consistency. Fortunately for Elektron the ISO directives did not reach the music industry (yet), otherwise they would have to support it or they would have a hard time justifying their lack of efforts made regarding continous improvement of their existing product line - a major non conformity that will negatively impact on consumers, if left uncorrected will be prosecuted by de-certification (that’s pretty much unhideable [streak-breaker] and is like eternal humiliation in the biz for the company).

More or less I don’t care if they are interested or not, but if they want me to buy from them in the future they will support it because it’s my need and expectation as their customer, the true quality of every product can be evaluated only once the product COMPLETES it’s own shelf lifetime, so in reality the true QC / QA for the product begins AFTER leaving the factory, everything before that is QC / QA of the manufacturing process - two different worlds apart.

I perceive Rusty’s project as an improvement to the overall quality of the Octatrack - and as an excellent opportunity for improvement for Elektron if ofc they are willing to abide to a real quality standard ( they don’t have to though since this whole industry is rather silly than serious to begin with if you look on that gloriously epic marketing cake they try to feed us with )

-Yes, I’m a cheeky smartass, I know.
-Yes, I do this for livin, didn’t need to google that.
-Yes, this post is legitimately bs content free.
-No, the cake is still a lie.

Now my fingers hurt from typing all these mildly overdrawn random words of unreasonable wisdom on a mobile device, no worries chaps tho, I’m a wee though guy that pours mercury to his cereal for breakfast.

1 Like

Will version 1 be available if the campaign doesn’t reach 25.000?

Probably I guess. I’ll need to review everything after the campaign finishes…

Why is this good?
I have not tried it yet.
Is sample management as easy as a sequencer?

I’m biased.

What are we comparing about when you say “sequencer” ?

I contributed $99 :slight_smile:

Only 7 days left - who else will pledge??

1 Like

A few features :

The Project Module

The Project module provides access to all the settings of the currently loaded Project.

Entire Project configurations; or any Element (Mixer, Input, Sequencer, Memory, Metronome, Midi Settings, Midi Channels, Midi Sequencer) of a Project can be copied/pasted; or saved to / loaded from the Library module as well as being Reset to Defaults.

Entire Projects can additionally be:

Saved
Reloaded from previous state
Renamed
Cloned
New Projects can be created in the Set
Backed Up to an OctaEdit / OctaZip Archive; optionally including all Samples
Restore from an OctaEdit / OctaZip Archive; optionally including the ability to rename and re-import Samples on the fly.

The Samples Module

The Samples module allows the ability to manage all sample slots within a project.

Features include Sample Slicing/Editing, drag/drop from file browser or the Audio Finder module, sample remapping, sample playback, sample editing, renaming and analysis amongst others.

Features include:

Ability to merge up to 64 audio files into a Sample Chain
Access to all available settings (Loop Mode, Timestretch Mode, Tempo, Trig Quantisation, Gain etc.)
Add new Samples individually, or in batches including tempo calculation, the ability to automatically or manually define the target sample slots to populate; and whether to use existing Sample Settings or not.
Export Sample and Settings to disk.
Modify Trim Start / Loop / End points either graphically, by sample numbers, or by bars length; including the ability to Lock Start / Loop / End points and edit individually.
Slice Samples to Grid
Add, Delete, Delete All and Organise Slice functions.
Modify Slice Start / Loop / End points either graphically, by sample numbers, or by bars length; including the ability to Lock Start / Loop / End points and edit individually; as well as toggling Slice Loop points individually or in bulk.
Restore Settings on the fly (aka Undo)
Collect Samples to the Audio Pool, Project folder, or any custom folder you specify.
Purge unused Samples
View Samples by any combination of Type (All, Flex, Static); Filter (All, Project, Empty or Used in Bank / Pattern / Track / Part) and optional wildcard text filter.
Swap Samples (Keeping Sample Locks)
Swap Samples including Sample Locks
Overwrite Samples (Keeping Sample Locks)
Overwrite Samples and Sample Locks
Overwrite Samples merge Sample Locks (Keeping existing Sample Locks)
Clone Sample
Clone Sample and File (Creating a copy of the audio file)
Rename Sample
Clear Slot (Keeping Sample Locks)
Clear Slot and Sample Locks
Analyse Sample Slots by Slot or File Name to see where they have been used within the Set / Project.
Generate a report of all the Samples used in the Project to the project folder and clipboard.

The Sequencer Module

The Sequencer module provides full access to every element of the Octatrack, from entire configurations down to parameter locks on a single step.

The Sequencer module is fully integrated with the Samples, Arp Designer and LFO Designer modules allowing quick and easy modifications on each track.

The Sequencer module is also fully integrated with the Library module allowing the ability to Save/Load any element of your setup, from your Parts, Audio/Midi/Recorder Machine configurations, Scenes through to FX Chains, Amp configurations and much, much more.

Features include:

Seamlessly Copy / Paste / Save to Library / Load from Library / Reset to Default anything on the fly; Banks, Patterns, Parts, Scenes, Scene Tracks, Audio Machines, Audio Machine, Playback (Static, Flex, Thru, Pickup), LFO1, LFO2, LFO3, LFO Designs, FX1, FX2, FX Chains, Midi Machines, Midi Machine, Arps, Arp Designs, Control1, Control2, Control Chains, Recorders, Recorder, Channel Strips, Sequencer Settings, Tracks, Steps, Micro Timing, Trig Counts, Trig Conditions etc.
Edit / Clear / Assign any parameter with Default, Minimum, Maximum and Random functions including Scene and Step Parameter Locks
Sequencer Actions: Copy Banks, Patterns, Pattern and Parts, Tracks, Parts, Scenes and Recorders using the same Template / Relative logic described in the Manager section.
Sequencer Step Actions: Copy / Clear / Randomise one, many or all Elements of one, many or all Steps simultaneously; optionally based on a “Seed” step.
Trig Sequencer allowing the ability to graphically edit Trigs
Copy / Paste / Load / Save / Clear / Randomise entire Audio or Midi Tracks or individual elements of tracks: Trigs, Slide, Swing, Record Trigs, Parameter Locks, Sample Locks etc
Copy entire Bars
Graphically edit Micro Timing allowing the ability to Fine Edit / Copy / Paste / Load / Save / Clear / Randomise; Move by Bar and Move by Step
Graphically edit Trig Counts allowing the ability to Fine Edit / Copy / Paste / Load / Save / Clear / Randomise
Graphically edit Parameter Locks allowing the ability to Fine Edit / Copy / Paste / Load / Save / Clear / Randomise
Graphically edit Sample Locks allowing the ability to Fine Edit / Copy / Paste / Load / Save / Clear / Randomise
Graphically edit Trig Conditions allowing the ability to Fine Edit / Copy / Paste / Load / Save / Clear / Randomise
Assign Samples to Audio Machines Default Flex and Static Slots
Rename Parts
Assign Crossfader Scene Settings
And more…

The Arranger Module

The Arranger module allows the ability to edit any of the eight Arrangements with an Octatrack Set.

Arranger Rows can be added, deleted and edited either individually or in bulk.

Using the Arranger Module you can edit the

Row Patterns, Actions and Comments (REM)
Row Offset / Lengths
Row Scene Assignments
Row Tempo
Row Midi Transpose
Row Audio and Midi Mutes
Arrangements can also be freely copied from a Source Arrangement to a Target Arrangement.

Ever had troubles working in the Arranger? OctaEdit will unleash the power of this underutilised side of the Octatrack for you.

The Manager Module

The Manager module provides the ability to copy “Elements” and/or Samples from a Source Set/Project to a Target Set/Project; including the ability to remap sample assignments on the fly.

The Manager Module includes a powerful copy engine that utilises one of two modes per Element; “Template” and “Relative”

Template: Use a single Element as a Source to copy to one or more Target Elements; e.g.

Copy from Source Bank 01/A to Target Bank 04/D and Target Bank 07/G and Target Bank 12/L

Relative: Use multiple Elements as a Source to copy to their relative Target Elements; e.g.

Copy from Source Bank 01/A to Target Bank 01/A and copy from Source Bank 04/D to Target Bank 04/D and copy from Source Bank 07/G to Target Bank 12/G

Each Element in a hierarchy(e.g. when copying a Scene you specify the Bank, Part and Scene) can use either Template or Relative mode; resulting in an extremely powerful, yet very easy to use engine.

Elements that can be copied:

Banks
Patterns
Pattern and Associated Parts
Tracks
Parts
Scenes
Recorders
Arrangements
The Manager module also includes the ability to remap sample assignments on the fly.

Simply put Source Sample Slots can be “re-mapped” to Target Sample Slots.

When Elements are copied; any references to the Source Sample Slot is mapped to the Target Sample Slot; for example:

Copying: Source Bank 01/A to Target Bank 04/D and mapping Source Slot Flex 001 to Target Slot Flex 007

Result: Any where that Source Slot Flex 001 is used in Source Bank 01/A; e.g. Machine Assignments, Sample Locks etc will be mapped to Target Slot Flex 007 seamlessly in Target Bank Flex 04/D

Using the Manager module means that with just a couple of clicks entire sets can be merged together seamlessly, meaning you never have to worry about the Octatrack structure ever again.

The Chainer Module

The Chainer module allows the ability to create Sample Chains on the fly from various audio files.

Features include:

Ability to merge up to 64 audio files into a Sample Chain
Access to all available settings (Loop Mode, Timestretch Mode, Tempo, Trig Quantisation, Gain etc.)
Drag/drop from OctaEdit’s Audio Finder module, Finder (OSX) and Explorer (Windows)
Save Sample Chain to disk
Add Sample Chain to a Sample Slot in the current Project
Edit an existing Sample Chain
Backup a Sample Chain and all Samples as an OctaEdit Chainer Archive
Restore an OctaEdit Chainer Archive for further editing.

The Arp Designer Module

The Arp Designer module provides the ability to graphically design arpeggios that can that be applied to any midi track, and/or stored in the Library for future use.

The Arp Designer additionally features an advanced feature set including Inversion, Reverse, Randomisation and shuffling.

The Arp Designer module is additionally fully integrated with the Sequencer and Library modules.

Features include:

Graphically design Arpreggios; available to any Midi Track
Easy access to all Steps, Length and Key; with Default, Minimum, Maximum, Random and Rest functions per step.
Save to the Library Module
Load from the Library Module
Read from the current track in the Sequencer module
Write to any midi track in the Sequencer module
Reset, Invert, Reverse and Randomise functions
Move functions: Move the entire Arp Design Left, Right, Up, Down, Up by an Octave or Down by an Octave

The LFO Designer Module

The LFO Designer module provides the ability to graphically design LFO waveforms that can that be applied to any track, and/or stored in the Library for future use.

The LFO Designer additionally features an advanced feature set including Inversion, Reverse, Randomisation and shuffling.

The LFO Designer module is additionally fully integrated with the Sequencer and Library modules.

Features include:

Graphically design LFO’s; available to any Audio or Midi Track
Easy access to all Steps; with Default, Minimum, Maximum, Random and Rest functions per step.
Save to the Library Module
Load from the Library Module
Read from the current track in the Sequencer module
Write to any audio or midi track in the Sequencer module
Reset, Invert, Reverse and Randomise functions available to Values, Interpolation or both; plus the ability toggle Interpolation on/off for all step.
Move functions: Move the entire LFO Design Left, Right, Up, Down, Up by ten or Down by ten

The Audio Finder Module

The Audio Finder module is an audio browser allowing quick searching and previewing of audio files anywhere on your computer or Octatrack.

Audio files can then be automatically added to the Samples module or the Chainer module seamlessly.

Features include:

Browse and search for Audio file anywhere
Filter based on Format, Channels, Bit Rate, Sample Rate, Wildcard Text Filter and if Octatrack Sample Settings exist.
Favourites functionality for your favourite sample locations
Audio Preview
Send to Samples: Send one or more audio files to the Samples module adding as a Sample Slot to the current Project
Send to Chainer: Send one or more audio files to the Chainer module adding as a Sample Slice to the current Sample Chain
Display properties option
Analyse files to see if already used in your Set / Project
Clone existing files
Show in Finder (OSX) or Explorer (Windows)

The Library Module

The Library module is essentially a preset manager on steroids, and provides a library of “Entries” for the various elements of both OctaEdit and the Octatrack, where literally anything can be copied, pasted, saved and loaded between Sets and Projects.

Save your Project setups, Machine configurations, LFO Designs, Parts, Scenes, FX Chains etc. from any Set and any Project and reuse them as required whenever, and wherever you want.

All of the below Elements can be freely copied/pasted; saved to, and loaded from the Library from their respective locations in OctaEdit.

Additionally, Library Entries can be imported/exported for sharing with other users.

Project:

All Project Settings. (i.e. all of the following combined)
Mixer
Input
Sequencer
Memory
Metronome
Midi Settings
Midi Channels
Midi Sequencer
Sequencer:

Banks
Patterns
Sequencer Settings (Settings for all Audio and Midi Tracks combined)
Sequencer Track Settings (For both Audio and Midi tracks)
Parts
Scenes
Scene Track (Single track in Scene)
Audio Machines:

Audio Machines (All 8 ‘Audio Machine’ combined)
Audio Machine (A single Audio Machine containing: Playback, Amp, LFO1/2/3, LFO Design, FX1 and FX2)
Static
Flex
Thru
Pickup
Amp
LFO1 / LFO2 / LFO3
LFO Design
FX Chain (Combined FX1 and FX2)
FX1 or FX2 (Supports all FX types independently: Filter, Equalizer, DJ Equalizer, Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, Spatializer, Comb Filter, Compressor, Lo-Fi, Delay, Plate Reverb, Spring Reverb, Dark Reverb)
Audio Tracks:

Audio Track (Including all of the below)
Audio Trigs (Including Parameter and Sample Locks)
Slide
Swing
MicroTiming
Trig Counts
Trig Conditions
Recorder Trigs (Combined Rec AB, Rec CD, Rec IN and Rec OS)
Rec AB
Rec CD
Rec IN
Rec OS
Midi Machines:

Midi Machines (All 8 ‘Midi Machine’ combined)
Midi Machine (A single Midi Machine containing: Note, Arp, Arp Design, LFO1/2/3, LFO Design, Control1 and Control2)
Note
Arp (Including Arp Design)
Arp Design
LFO1 / LFO2 / LFO3
LFO Design
Control Chain (Combined Control1 and Control2)
Control 1
Control 2
Midi Tracks:

Midi Track (Entire Track containing all of the below)
Midi Trigs (inc Parameter Locks)
Swing
Micro Timing
Trig Counts
Recorders:

Recorders (All 8 ‘Recorder’ combined)
Recorder (A single Recorder)
Arp Designs (Shared between Midi Tracks and Arp Designer)

LFO Designs (Shared between Audio and Midi Tracks and LFO Designer)

The Analytics Module

The Analytics module is a multi purpose reporting and analysis module, which provides results from the analysis engine, and is integrated with OctaEdit’s other modules.

The Analytics module provides two modes available at any time: Results and Active

Results: Provides the current results from the Analysis engine. For example, Analytics can be automatically performed when selecting Samples, to identify exactly where a sample has been utilised in a Project, and the results returned to the module.

Active: Provides the ability to identify which Banks, Patterns, Parts and Tracks are used in the current Project, Manager Source Project or Manager Target Project to allow you to identify which Elements have been used or are empty.

The Options Module

The Options Module provides access to the all the end user options available in OctaEdit.

Options are divided on a per-module basis; allowing you to customise various settings that best suit your workflow.

Of additional note is the ability to auto-backup your Projects prior to saving; or executing a copy within the Manager module.

The Support Module

The Support module provides detailed logging to assist with support and error tracking.

The Support module makes my life easier, and allows me to provide the highest level of support I can, to ensure that you have the best end user experience that you deserve.

1 Like

I guess it does one or two things? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would love to be able to more easily slice stereo samples without the non-matching zero-crossing problem. I can always find a zero crossing on the left channel, OR the right channel … how do folks deal with that?

Yes, I’ve also verified this article.
Is it worth $ 99?
Thanks

Can’t make payment on indiegogo with any of my credit cards…Another way possible ?

It worked for me with a VISA card…