OctaEdit - Octatrack Software Editor and Librarian [ OSX / Windows ]

This sounds good!
I’m all ears and eyes!

Curious about what you’re going to make public coming days :).

I will also drop this in the octatrack facebook group.

.R

Rusty, a question. Will the editor be able to operate in real time? Or will we have to send save states back and forth from the editor?

No, it won’t operate in real time. This is due to a combination of:

a) the Octatrack stores the current project you are working on in flash memory, and I don’t have access to that.
and
b) the Octatrack doesn’t have a fully fledged midi specification, thus can’t access data that way.

So, yes, you wil have to send “save states back and forth”, but this is really a case of going:

a) Octatrack -> USB Mode
b) Software Editor - Press Button

I don’t think it’s that hard to do, transferring back to the Octatrack is basically stopping USB mode on your computer.

Rusty,

any idea when you’re going to release something?
I mean… easter is coming up we’ve got lots of time… :wink:

.R

No, it won’t operate in real time. This is due to a combination of:

a) the Octatrack stores the current project you are working on in flash memory, and I don’t have access to that.
and
b) the Octatrack doesn’t have a fully fledged midi specification, thus can’t access data that way.

So, yes, you wil have to send “save states back and forth”, but this is really a case of going:

a) Octatrack -> USB Mode
b) Software Editor - Press Button

I don’t think it’s that hard to do, transferring back to the Octatrack is basically stopping USB mode on your computer.[/quote]
Thanks! Ya was just curious, about some “real time” feature requests. No biggie at all though, I figured as much. Can’t wait!

I’M JOINING YOUR PROTEST!

I would definitely support the development (OS X) as well.

If you need any help with Dutch and/or French localisation, just send me a PM.

All the best with the project!

Hopefully something cool? Just working on some of the finer points around the LFO and ARP designers, and trying to make it all pretty.

Cool. I don’t do Facebook, but happy to answer questions by proxy if anyone has them there?

Depends on how much time I get over the long weekend? Got to keep the boss happy…

Such as?

Hey Rusty,
this is a great piece of work!
I’m amazed at how hopeless Electron are though - when their customers have to do what they cant be bothered to do.
They did not even want to help you do this?
If it was my company I would have jumped at the opportunity to help/support a passionate user develop this great addition.

A quick sale is all they are after - like a used car salesman.
It gives new meaning to “customer service”…

I like their gear, really dislike their philosophy. (if they even have one)
= Lame.

Thankfully Rusty is here to save the day!!!

Something weird going on with this thread. When I read it the icon never changes to already read.

It’s to keep you coming back for more :joy:

Say what? Elektron is updating their OS in instruments that are several years old.
Not that many hardware developers do that.
I like their gear. I like their philosophy.

+1 for Elektron. Their customer service and continued support for older instruments is good - better than most other synth companies, for sure!
+2 for Rusty: Thanks for tackling this project! I think it will make setting up sets much easier for users. You are awesome!

Companies like Elektron are naturally wary of potentially commercial products for their own gear that they did not develop themselves. They are unlikely to offer official support for 3rd party products as this ties them in to the problems with updates and future developments, support issues etc. They have always supported an OTB approach (except for audio streams it seems). We shouldn’t criticise them over this…

Such as?[/quote]
In the editor dragging and dropping samples from the audio pool to octa-tracks. Possibly slicing in the editor while the Octa is running. Editing samples.
Here’s an idea! A way to save FX Pre-sets. Like if I want to use Echo Freeze Delay in Repeater mode. Have a delay repeater preset you can load to whichever tracks you want.

Say what? Elektron is updating their OS in instruments that are several years old.
Not that many hardware developers do that.
I like their gear. I like their philosophy. [/quote]
:+1: :+1:
:+1::+1:

Their philosophy seems pretty awesome to me. They’re ace at updating things and each update is nuts…the A4 OS that unlocked the polyphony and + drive was craaaaaazy. I’m sure they’ve got something brewing for the Octatrack.

Already done. Drag/Drop from Audio Pool to Track and/or Step.

Won’t happen due to the way the Octatrack works. Refer my earlier post re Flash/Midi SysEx.

Not likely. At this point no intention to provide soundediting capabilities, as hardcore editing can be done in much better programs more suited to the task such as SoundTrack Pro, WaveLab, Audacity or your DAW like Cubase/Logic etc.

Already three steps ahead of you :joy:

Library for Tracks / Machines / Midi Machines / Effects etc.

Save various things to the library, e.g. Filter Settings from track one project, then apply them to any other track i any other project.

I am so stoked for this editor! If there isn’t an OS X version, it just might persuade me to install Windows.

i hear you man. this sounds better than overbridge at the moment :stuck_out_tongue:

Not likely. At this point no intention to provide soundediting capabilities, as hardcore editing can be done in much better programs more suited to the task such as SoundTrack Pro, WaveLab, Audacity or your DAW like Cubase/Logic etc.

KØNS: Well I understand that 'proper editing of samples can better be done elsewhere… but creating .ot files would be a lot easier with a computer… editing slices… or at the least applying slice grids to samples…

I am assuming that all the moving/copying sample operations will also be applied to any relevant .ot files?

Save various things to the library, e.g. Filter Settings from track one project, then apply them to any other track i any other project.

KØNS:if one can have a library of machines/tracks then… one could create ‘morphs’ between 2 machines and assign each end of the morph to a scene?

KØNS: Well I understand that 'proper editing of samples can better be done elsewhere… but creating .ot files would be a lot easier with a computer… editing slices… or at the least applying slice grids to samples…[/quote]

There is some slicing functionality included.

I was talking mainly from the audio editing point of view, and for the actual hardcore audio manipulation, post processing etc, the best option is still the DAW/Audio Editor.

Yes.

KØNS:if one can have a library of machines/tracks then… one could create ‘morphs’ between 2 machines and assign each end of the morph to a scene?[/quote]
I’m not quite sure I understand what you mean?[/quote]