OB-X8: Oberheim. Welcome back

Colours are highly subjective. I love the colour scheme and matching panels. Grey for me is better than boring black.

I don’t mind the light bluish grey. But putting white text on it is a bit odd. Hard to read

1 Like

This is so out of my league, I’m not even sure there’s a league for it.

2 Likes

I found a way… maybe :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

But that Font. ‘Programmer’ pops for me.

1 Like

Is it a render? It looks pretty real to me, a prototype or whatever the term is for the pre production model (I’ve forgotten then term). There are subtle shadows cast my the knobs etc. I know this can be done in a graphics package but it still looks like a physical front panel. Plus if the time scales are correct for shipping I’d imagine there are more than one or two completed instruments in existence by now. The lighting might be giving a different impression of the grey but I’d be surprised if Tom hasn’t gone for the same RAL code grey that they used in the past or at least very close to it?

Deffo looks like it with the vintage knob and the other similarities with the P5/10. I wonder if there’s a connection between Tom and Novation too? 5k dollars at the current GBP exchange rate is around £4000; a P10 over here is around £3800 so not a million miles apart.

2 Likes

My second synth (I think after a Poly61 that dissolved). £125 from a second hand shop. More than a whiff of OBX about it…on the surface.

It has got 6 CEM 3320 filters but no poly note assignment, the voices being tied to pairs of notes. It uses a couple of TOS chips for oscillators which also supply the raw waves for the organ and string section. I guess you could say it was the final evolution of the 70’s multi instrument keyboard Crumar invented with the Multiman and its derivatives.

I’ve still got my original and I picked up a second a good few years back when I saw one for a good price.

6 Likes

I took the pics from a sale listing at a gear store, the listing has since disappeared :thinking:

I’m glad they dropped the stripes.

1 Like

I used the word “render”, as it was used in the post right before mine. The “image” set have the angles and views you might expect in a render, and it was the first thought i had when i saw them. I don’t know for sure but the color in the photograph was different. Final decisions on colors often change around pre-production anyway, that’s easy to change, and hence you see companies bringing out the limited run colors later as well. Need to see it in person to know what you think about this all anyway.

Yeah i was wondering about the forces behind the manufacture of whatever this was going to be a while back. The most recent product from Oberheim before this was the limited run re-issue, the TVS-PRO Special Edition, and it sounded from the description at the time, enough of a challenge for him to restart that manufacture. So given that Dave, and others were a prominent part of the teaser video, gives me an impression that others could assist with some of the production detail on this.

I think it would be nice if there was a full Oberheim division next to Sequential and Novation. Like i said elsewhere, Tom surely has a ton of ideas … he could go through his notebooks and pick out good ideas, or do more sketches on sheets of paper, like in the video, and let others follow up with some of the engineering work, guided by Tom in an “emeritus” engineer sort of role. That can work well.

People are still creating new stuff from old Buchla ideas, some of the stuff impossible when originally conceived.

So let’s look for more from Oberheim Corporation
!

3 Likes

So its ready for shipping in June. Needs confirmation at Superbooth.

Yeah that would make sense especially given the relationship between the OB6 and P6. The Vintage knob etc looks to me like more of the same

I just invested in a P10 thinking this might drop soon. So by the time I’ve paid for the P10 and practised my arse of I’ll get one of these. And a silver cape.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a render, just a catalog shot in very flat lighting.

Sequential usually has hardware shipping pretty much at launch time, so I’d expect they’ve finished their initial production run already.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised, given the issues Tom has ha with acquisitions in the past, that Oberheim stays intentionally separate, but that the products keep being developed as joint ventures with Sequential (and thus do leverage the Focusrite supply chains and marketing lift).

It looks sterile.

1 Like

Im now thinking of making my studio into an 80s bat cave.

1 Like

Yes, that’s how catalog photos are shot.

3 Likes

Yeah, the grey is sort of flat. It’s the same as the original OB-X. I personally like the black with blue stripes they did on the OB-Xa, OB-8, drum machines, etc a little better. And I liked it that they did those on the OB-6. But going back to the OB-X design makes sense, in relation to the P5 reissue. Of course for me, though I love those Oberheim sounds, when comparing visual design, nothing really touches the P5.

4 Likes

Kinda Moog Sub Phatty.