OB-X8: Oberheim. Welcome back

YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES !
Love these kind of news. Love those old guys !

2 Likes

So is everyone here a pretty big fan of the OBX sound? Anyone played both an OBX and Prophet (and or Jupiter 8, CS80 etc) and have a favorite?

How exciting!

1 Like

A friend just sent this to me and I lost my mind. What will Dave and Tom come up with next?!

I’m not. I find it flat, tepid and uninteresting. At least in YouTubes.

1 Like

This being a Tom Oberheim thing is Dave’s involvement as Dave, or is it as Dave / Sequential-Novation. There is obviously a vision here, just wondering how big ?

2 Likes

Those are good questions — I suppose we’ll find out as more information comes out!

For now I’m just excited to see those two together again. Living legends in the truest sense.

1 Like

Maybe that was what Cuckoo was talking about. A synth company… :thinking:

1 Like

So far, we only know they are making an OBX, based on multiple trademark filings with “intent to use.” No indication of anything more, yet!

1 Like

i expect whatever they do will be expensive.

if i want ‘that sound’ i’ll buy plugins/clones … sorry… i had a matrix 1000 …it was nice but i sold it and I survived…

I appreciate your honesty! I’m excited for it but also wondering how excessive it is to own, in addition to a prophet 10, when it seems to have a similar architecture (?)

1 Like

I always like clues dropped in videos.

The circuit to the left of this was a little more familiar. This one is what Tom was drawing at the beginning. He gave a knowing look about this to the designer on his left. This is a little bit different, and it’s not some made up nonsense either.

3 Likes

I’ll bet 1 Syntakt says this is a trick promotion for their new tequila company.

9 Likes

This is a teaser according to my taste. Not that I will be able to afford what they will show at some point… but still really cool!

2 Likes

The bar they’re in, Tony Nik’s, has some history, too. Turns 90 next year.

5 Likes

Oh, I’m excited, too! I’m constantly debating with myself if I should sell my Rev2 and/or Juno106 to buy am OB-6; I heard a YouTuber playing an old Jean-Michel Jarre on an Oberheim that was probably an OBX which made me say “wow, I need that”… SEMs sound amazing; the Two Voice and Four voice sound amazing. This news is good news! My passing snark was just because I’ve also heard some examples of classic old Oberheims (maybe the OBX, maybe the OBXa, definitely the Matrix 12) that left me… a bit cold). But ai’m still excited for this news!

Best synth logo ever.

15 Likes

i forgot which one(s), but didn’t Oberheim make a drum machine also?

nvm, just checked the site…yes the DMX, nice.

a remake would be super cool, even though it was digital.

it can…

compete with the syntakt :slight_smile:

Good question. I wonder if it is another colab, or if it is something bigger? You have to wonder if he gets on board with Sequential/Focusrite, allowing him to focus on designing new products, and maybe working with Dave’s team, but having Focusrite do the manufacturing and customer service end of it. He’s had some product ideas, like his eurorack modules, and other things like the four voice, that seemed limited by manufacturing. This could be a scenario that gets him back into the game regularly producing new instruments again.

1 Like

seems cool, but i hope it’s not just another reissue or rehashing of an old thing. sequential re-released the prophet 5. roland keeps reissuing their old stuff. let’s see these old nerds make something new.

3 Likes