Novation Peak

Thank you all so much for your responses - really appreciate this community :slight_smile:

The patch encoder feels as I would expect, the value encoder has this varying resistance.

Not sure exactly what the difference is? The values on the menu change as I would expect, it’s just the physical resistance of the encoder that varies as I turn it, making it hard to choose a value quickly.

It definitely doesn’t feel up to the quality that I would expect from an instrument in this price range. I’d imagine that there would be more talk about it if this was really normal, but I could definitely be over exaggerating.

After all your thoughts, I’ll definitely reach out to Novation and see what they say. I’m also seriously considering returning it (I just have in my mind that it will be a hassle and was trying to avoid it).

:honeybee:

I don’t suppose the knobcap is simply rubbing on the chassis?

Cheers!

1 Like

Possibly? How would I check that? It doesn’t feel any different if I pull upward on it while rotating

You’d see it.

i.e. If you look at it from the side, from various angles—if it’s rubbing—you should see it wobble on its axis, for starters, and see the edge of the cap make contact with the chassis at some point during its rotation. Just a shot in the dark. The filter knob on my E2 did this. I just used a little tape, on the top of the shaft, to raise the cap up a millimeter or so…

Anyway, here’s hoping you get it sorted, either way.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! Doesn’t seem to be the case. Both the encoders are actually flush with the chassis as designed. No wobble that I see.

I opened a request with Novation. Thanks everyone

Well, if they’re right flush with the chassis, it might be worth raising the cap a hair, if only to see if the issue goes away. Anyway, that’s my proverbial two-cents worth. I refer to your judgement. :wink:

Cheers!

2 Likes

No your judgement was the real judgement!! Slid a guitar pick under there and all seems to be good :pray:t4: hoping it stays that way!

Wow, feel silly for making a fuss over that but hey- you don’t know till you know. Thanks for replying a second time, that was the motivation I needed :slight_smile:

Okay😅 looking forward to participating more in this thread! Hopefully this will help anyone with the same problem

3 Likes

Glad to help.

The Peak is an amazing synth. Here’s hoping it inspires you… :notes:

Cheers!

3 Likes

Hi there,
I’ve just published a tutorial showing how to add a sequencer to your Peak / Summit using only the internal sound engine. Maybe you find it useful.

cheers

8 Likes

Had to share this Benjamin Mauch album made only with a Peak sequenced by a Launchpad pro. Some wonderful melodies and soundscapes, highly recommend!

And here is an interview of the artist:

http://www.horizontalpitch.com/2020/08/benjamin-mauch-hover/

3 Likes

That is super smart, and reminds me of the tool for creating patterns on the ER-301 that I developed.
That would be insane if the OSC3 could be trigged “polyphonically” so you could make the sequence play on each note, a la “gated sequencer” found in the REV2.

2 Likes

I’d be happy to see more Modulation targets for the third (or all) oscillators. Would be really cool to use this sequencer workaround also with different other parameters

1 Like

Any specific destination requests? I opened a feature request with Novation and they asked for more specifics :yum:

3 Likes

OSC -> PW
OSC 1 / 2 > Filter FM (not only 3)
Every OSC FM Amount as Mod Target for other oscillators
Amp / Filter Sustain as Mod Target
and optionally get rid of the glide when choosing Delay Rate as mod target

6 Likes

Awesome, it’s been added to their feature requests! (I also included amplitude modulation as destination)

Also opened a feature request for a “patch editing mode” in which the patch encoder is another copy of the value encoder … not only would this prevent accidental patch changes but it would allow for left handed editing without your hand covering the screen! :crossed_fingers:t4:

The support team seems very open and responsive (and willing to make updates as we’ve seen) - so if you have any requests please do send them in :smiley:

10 Likes

I have lost so many patches by accidently touching the big preset knob. I would appreciate that new feature.

For the rest of the features I guess I have lost track…

1 Like

Did you submit a feature request? :wink:

They delivered huge in 1.2 : https://novationmusic.com/en/news/peak-v12-firmware-update

1.3 was mostly adding user wavetables. They’ve been clear that the features that they are implementing in updates are the ones that users are requesting. This synth is already pretty feature packed but it never hurts to ask for more :pleading_face: :honeybee:

3 Likes

Just took delivery of a Peak and having a bit of a play… first impressions are really good, it looks and feels so solid and is really easy to use. Was worried the menu system might feel a bit clunky but it really doesn’t. Also didn’t love its look on photos but in person it looks really good.

Wow, the sounds it is capable of though… I took the “Bells” preset and latched an arp and ended up in the nastiest gritty atonal techno territory :sweat_smile:. Was a bit worried it might sound a bit “nice” for my tastes, but when you crank the distortion and use FM it gets really nasty. Laughed out loud to myself at the end, I was having so much fun :joy:

Any essential tutorial type videos people would recommend? I’ve already watched a few while deciding whether to buy it, but all recommendations welcome.

If anyone is interested Bax have them in stock for ÂŁ809 in the UK, which is where mine came from - more discussion over here Buying in EU from UK

5 Likes

I really love to play with arps + FM + filter + Distorsion, might be my favorite game with Peak ^^
You can get really impressive percussion out of it!

6 Likes

Yeah, enjoying this synth a lot. Feels like it strikes a really good balance between accessibility/easy control/sweet spots, with all the knobs and pre configured routings and the great tone of the oscillators and filter; but also the ability to take it to pretty wild places with FM, wavetables, modulation, distortion, effects, etc. I’ve found it’s really easy to dial in a nice sounding patch from scratch, then take it somewhere unexpected but still musical.

Never created so many patches so quickly, most of the gear I have is Elektron stuff which I love the power of, but there’s definitely a lot to be said for a more “one knob per function” tactile layout like this that you can learn almost by muscle memory. Pleased that it manages to do that while also having a huge range and lovely sound.

Really pleased so far!

12 Likes