Novation Peak

Any specific destination requests? I opened a feature request with Novation and they asked for more specifics :yum:

3 Likes

OSC -> PW
OSC 1 / 2 > Filter FM (not only 3)
Every OSC FM Amount as Mod Target for other oscillators
Amp / Filter Sustain as Mod Target
and optionally get rid of the glide when choosing Delay Rate as mod target

6 Likes

Awesome, it’s been added to their feature requests! (I also included amplitude modulation as destination)

Also opened a feature request for a “patch editing mode” in which the patch encoder is another copy of the value encoder … not only would this prevent accidental patch changes but it would allow for left handed editing without your hand covering the screen! :crossed_fingers:t4:

The support team seems very open and responsive (and willing to make updates as we’ve seen) - so if you have any requests please do send them in :smiley:

10 Likes

I have lost so many patches by accidently touching the big preset knob. I would appreciate that new feature.

For the rest of the features I guess I have lost track…

1 Like

Did you submit a feature request? :wink:

They delivered huge in 1.2 : https://novationmusic.com/en/news/peak-v12-firmware-update

1.3 was mostly adding user wavetables. They’ve been clear that the features that they are implementing in updates are the ones that users are requesting. This synth is already pretty feature packed but it never hurts to ask for more :pleading_face: :honeybee:

3 Likes

Just took delivery of a Peak and having a bit of a play… first impressions are really good, it looks and feels so solid and is really easy to use. Was worried the menu system might feel a bit clunky but it really doesn’t. Also didn’t love its look on photos but in person it looks really good.

Wow, the sounds it is capable of though… I took the “Bells” preset and latched an arp and ended up in the nastiest gritty atonal techno territory :sweat_smile:. Was a bit worried it might sound a bit “nice” for my tastes, but when you crank the distortion and use FM it gets really nasty. Laughed out loud to myself at the end, I was having so much fun :joy:

Any essential tutorial type videos people would recommend? I’ve already watched a few while deciding whether to buy it, but all recommendations welcome.

If anyone is interested Bax have them in stock for £809 in the UK, which is where mine came from - more discussion over here Buying in EU from UK

5 Likes

I really love to play with arps + FM + filter + Distorsion, might be my favorite game with Peak ^^
You can get really impressive percussion out of it!

6 Likes

Yeah, enjoying this synth a lot. Feels like it strikes a really good balance between accessibility/easy control/sweet spots, with all the knobs and pre configured routings and the great tone of the oscillators and filter; but also the ability to take it to pretty wild places with FM, wavetables, modulation, distortion, effects, etc. I’ve found it’s really easy to dial in a nice sounding patch from scratch, then take it somewhere unexpected but still musical.

Never created so many patches so quickly, most of the gear I have is Elektron stuff which I love the power of, but there’s definitely a lot to be said for a more “one knob per function” tactile layout like this that you can learn almost by muscle memory. Pleased that it manages to do that while also having a huge range and lovely sound.

Really pleased so far!

12 Likes

Little word of warning, it seems the screen scratches quite easily? I noticed a couple of small scratches on mine, tried to clean it with a microfibre cloth in case it came out and ended up with a load more fine scratches on it!

Maybe just unlucky and its not the end of the world, but if you worry about such things it might be worth keeping the protector on. Personally can’t stand protectors so that’s life :wink:

OSC -> PW would be really nice although I’m not sure how well the digital oscillators will handle it. Noise to PW would be great too.

1 Like

Got a Peak recently and wanted to share some impressions. Looks and feels good, and it is bigger than I expected. Sounds really good. Definitely a digital vibe through, analog filter/drive notwithstanding… What adds to this is the limited resolution of most parameter pots, and the fact that a lot of commonly used parameters (e.g. for LFO 3 and 4) live in the menus where you adjust parameters with a ‘stepped’ encoder. I get sort of the feeling that you’re ‘setting values’ for a sound, rather than tweaking/nudging as I would on a purely analogue synth. It works quite well, just a different vive. As I said, sounds good, and feels like it sits well in the mix. Haven’t really experienced any zipping sounds though.

I like the rubber alongside the bottom (not just 4 ‘feet’) which means it can be supported/leaned on various things in your studio. I also like the fact that the menus ‘remember’ where you left off, so if you’re tweaking LFO3 depth, then go to the Voice menu to change something and then press the LFO menu again, you’re back at LFO3 depth and can keep tweaking that same parameter. This really reduces the feeling of menu diving.

My main wish I think is for the knob behaviour… I really wish more synths would implement the knob behaviour that the Minilogue and Minitaur have (don’t know about others), but which seems not that common: an option where the parameter moves relative to a knob’s physically position, so that you can move to a new patch and immediately start tweaking, and you know you will have a some change to whatever knob you touch, but you also know that this won’t be a sudden change. Currently with Peak you have the option of having either (1) parameter values jumping to where the knob is, or (2) not changing until you move the knob to reach the patch’s saved parameter.

I really got spoiled with this on the Minilogue - it is such a great performance feature - you can move to a new patch and just start tweaking, sort of just touching this and that parameter in one or another direction… I love it. :heart_eyes: Sent a feature request to Novation - if you’re with me on this, perhaps drop a quick request to technical.support@novationmusic.com !

As others have noted, it gets quite boomy, and having a BP filter with HP and LP independently adjustable would be so useful… Currently there is a BP, but its width is fixed. Would this even be possible to add through a firmware upgrade?

I’m also not crazy about the indents on many knobs (OSC pitches, filter mod depth etc) - it sort of takes away from the feel that this is a ‘continuous’ sound that you can tweak live - again for me it lends itself more to a ‘sound design’ than performance aesthetic.

Thanks @tdmusic for your tip on the screen - still have my screen protector on, but it should be said that this is one of the uglier screen protectors I’ve seen so it’s just a matter of time!

3 Likes

Yeah I couldn’t handle it! No regrets, lol. You can only see the scratches under bright light, but just worth being aware of and being extra careful with it!

Does anyone know how you can set up an amplitude enveloppe for an oscillator used as an FM modulator ?

Would you not set up the “via” with one of the envelopes? And have the base amount of osc fm at zero? I’ll have to check this but it feels like it should be simple (famous last words).

1 Like

Not sure if I understand. Even when used as an FM modulator, the Level knob of an osc is only adding some of the “raw” osc to the mix.

Not to do with the Osc level. In the mod matrix you have the top row that is for affecting how much modulation is applied. Like this.

That will get you what you want.

5 Likes

You need to add an envelope to the mod source and raise the amount.

3 Likes

Damn that was so obvious. Blame it on the lack of sleep. Thanks a lot !

2 Likes

Pro tip: for more DX7 like fm sounds it helps when you set the oscs to restart at each keypress in the osc menu.

5 Likes

When I flipped it on to check the mod matrix page I immediately started having fun and made a nice new FM patch. I love the Peak.

7 Likes