Novation Peak

I am currently away from my Peak, but iirc i stumbled across this as well, when i was in 1.1. But i thought they fixed this in 1.2?
Lets Check the Release notes.

EDIT: Nope not in there. I’ll Check on my Peak in the Weekend, and If that LFO Reset behaviour is still Like that, we should file a support Ticket with Novation.

But OT, they added in Components support for the LaunchControl XL Mk1/2 and other older models…nice!

1 Like

i want this synth

1 Like

It was pointed out to me that the LFO thing is not a bug, but rather a pretty cool thing. Sorry for clickbait but mr. Tinez explains it reeeally well.

7 Likes

Nothing like learning tricks on a synth you own.

3 Likes

Launch Control and XL support is indeed nice!
I wonder if we can overwrite the factory slots yet? They are wasted in a computerless setup.

If anyone in the UK is considering buying a Peak:

5 Likes

Has anyone tried to develop a technique to ping the Peak’s filters? I know this is more of a modular technique but I’ve had a lot of fun implementing it on polysynths to find new ways to play the filters.

Usually running an square/saw LFO through the audio path will do the trick but I don’t think the Peak allows that? Maybe a snappy envelope to modulate PW or an oscillator’s VCA mix could be a sufficient transient? Anyone wanna try it out?

I guess for this the CV modulation input could be a good way.

Hmm maybe I’m mistaken but I don’t think that would quite do what I’m thinking of. Sending a transient into the CV mod input wouldn’t really excite the filter the same way a transient to the filter input would.

For example, on my Prophet 6 oscillator B has the ability to run at LFO speeds for the polymod section, but the LFO can also be run through the regular oscillator mixer. If you set the waveshape to a square or saw the sharp transient in these waveforms will create a click, which can excite the filter for a pitched sound if it has it’s resonance between 25%-75%. Set key tracking on the filter and it’s a playable synth sound.

Modular synths and even Elektron stuff (e.g. impulse machine on the Rytm) offer this synthesis ability relatively easily, but for keyboard polysynths it usually takes some finagling if it’s possible. Mostly curious to know if anyone’s figured out a way to synthesize a suitable transient for these purposes.

Let’s hear an audio clip of the effect you’re referencing.

I might be missing something. what is the difference between this and a key tracking filter?

At it’s most basic.
A transient is sent to a filter input with resonance and makes a non-sustained yet pitched tone.

Same principle but instead of a controlling the frequency of a continuously oscillating filter, you excite the filter with a transient for a percussive sound (so you need to coax the filter to oscillate on each key press). This is particularly nice to play with a keyboard when pinging a filter with a repeating transient because holding down the keys allows one to play clusters of percussive sounds rather than a typical chord drone. I’ve been able to replicate this on the Prophet 5 / 6 / 10’s I’ve played because they allow LFOs to be sent through the audio path of the filter, but transients can be synthesized in a variety of ways.

Just curious if the digital implementation of the Peak’s oscillators allows for this type of synthesis.

My immediate hunch would be to key sync a sawtooth wave with an incredibly fast mod envelope > oscillator mix amount so you can get a single click on each key press, then use a high sustain / release value on the VCA envelope and engage key tracking to the filter to make the sound audible / playable. Maybe loop the envelope for the clusters I was referring to.

1 Like

I havent tried this, but theoretically it should work. If the filter is pingable that is.

Use a very fast mod envelope, set it to control osc 1 level. That should send a little bit of audio into the filter.

Just got a Peak a couple weeks ago and been loving it so far. Designing my own patches is far easier than on many different synths. However, to save some time I’m looking for a soundpack that would include some of the classic sounds. Think Oberheim, Juno, CS-80. There’s this pack by Luke Neptune that would’ve been awesome but it’s designed for the Summit (I actually thought they would work for Peak as well but it seems it doesn’t work that way around).

Do you guys have suggestions for Peak soundpacks that gravitate towards the classics?

Check out this guy’s patches, I think they will do the trick!

8 Likes

Awesome, thanks! Some of those patches are exactly what I’m looking for.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! Those patches are exceptional! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, they are very well made and well played. Really show off Peak to the fullest!

1 Like

Another vote of thanks, great patches​:+1::grinning:

2 Likes

I stumbled across them looking at demos of Peak. There are definitely some gems there.

1 Like