Novation Launchpad Pro Mk3

Holy hells, Bobeats managed to turn me off from wanting to get a LPP. You can’t see any of the pad colors at all in the video and he’s using the most long-winded key combinations to do anything. I really hope Novation puts out some better videos than that.

2 Likes

I’m super interested in trying this thing out. The Circuit was my gateway drug into the world of hardware synths, drum machines, and sequencers, and this takes some of the best features from both the Circuit and the Circuit Mono Station, AND it doubles the number of pads to make everything much easier. I don’t do any DAW work these days, so I love that it’s completely standalone. That said, four tracks is a little limiting for a standalone sequencer, but then, that’s basically all I need/get with an Elektron box, so I imagine it’ll be enough.

I didn’t notice it anywhere, but is there a release date?

(And now, will they basically take this Launchpad Pro Mk3, add some VA synths and drum samples into it, add the master/mixer section, and call it a Circuit 2? And maybe throw in a few performance-effect-type features? Because if so, I’d rather just wait for that.)

1 Like

Yeah, he was all like ”I wouldn’t get this primarily because it’s a hardware sequencer”, which was exactly my plan. I don’t even use Schmableton. So now, I don’t know. I’m holding out for more reviews.

2 Likes

But if one of those four tracks is a drum track, then that track alone can drive an entire set of samples, though.

True! I don’t really use samples in that way, though, and I imagine I’d use a drum machine’s dedicated sequencer and instead devote all four tracks to synths, much as I do with the Analog Four or the Digitone.

1 Like

Yeah, my only interest in this is as a hardware sequencer, and considering BoBeats is a big Circuit guy, I’m kind of surprised that was his conclusion, but maybe it’s a value proposition thing, or maybe it’s just hard to compare to the endless sequencer tracks you get with something like the Deluge.

I have a suspicion he put out the video super quickly with very little time getting to learn it - he’s also the only YouTuber to have released a video on it so far, which is odd since usually press embargo lifts for everyone.

Did you see how he was entering drum trigs on the sequencer? Press-hold the trig steps, press the drum sound. For every. single. one. No drum sequencer I know sequences like that, it’s usually hit the sound, press trig steps where you want to want to put them in the sequencer.

2 Likes

Check out Ricky Tynes (sp?) he works for Novation and makes awesome videos. He loves the Circuit and plays DAWless a lot.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. First, he was all “Now, I’m just gonna catch my breath before we devote ten seconds to the next feature. Look, it can do thi … aaand time’s up. Next feature. Catching breath. So it can also … wait, time’s up already? Oh, all right. Anyway. Oh, we’re done. Okay.”

I LOVE BoBeat and his videos and very much respect his opinion. But this one did feel a little rushed, which I’m either telling myself because I don’t want to agree with him or because it really was. Because I was thinking like you, like “Whoa, it can do that? Sell me two, Bo!” Then he goes, “Nah.”

1 Like

You know what? I’m betting Bo didn’t have his coffee for this one :slight_smile:

1 Like

To hope that the drum sequencer track would have individual step count per drum, would be to hope for peace in the Middle East.

And yet, the Keystep Pro can do it. Can the Launchpad do individual step count per drum sound, @Calc or @mzero? I’m gonna love this either way, just let a fella know and don’t go wonderin’ with only his guitar as sole company. Not that I can play the guitar. Never could. So you can imagine I’m in pretty bad company right now.

1 Like

Tinez. His videos are great for a perspective on live sets; yeah, I’m waiting on his. He doesn’t do technical/depth reviews particularly well though, gotta wait for Loopop for those.

I haven’t been a fan of BoBeats’ videos for a while now, was even more disappointed by this one and reminded why I don’t sub or watch him anymore.

2 Likes

Yeah , this one was disappointing …

Especially from someone who praise Circuit and Ableton workflow all day long , I feel that he had this unit for only a few days (alongside with other stuff) and made a video «to be the first to speak of » sadly

But even if it feel rushed , I can see in what context in how I could use this in my « live » setup , and I can see how they can improve this with future firmware (like a those open-source custom firmware with things like 32 tracks , looper section , etc etc)

I really dig those « custom template » features with CC messages and Program change , etc etc , it can open up a lot of possibilities for such a compact controller

2 Likes

On first sight this thing looks amazing.

Are the pads fully programmable?
Per pad : Midi track - CC - range/0-127
Is it possible to program program changes per pad?

I can’t find the manual on the Novation website

Could you provide one?

this one is for me. I liked the old lp pro but didn’t like the pad sensivity.
I heard only great things about the lp x pads so I assume these will be good as well

It definitely has some similarities with the Circuit but without the built in synth engine and the use of preloaded samples. Potentially a future firmware update? Or have they reserved these features for Circuit mk3?
Does anyone know what the storage size is of this thing and whether you can store patterns and sequences?

As far as I know

There is 64 « project » storage

Each projects can contain 4 tracks (sequencer)

Each track contain 8 pattern of 34 step (that made 256 step in total for each sequencer I believe , so it’s 4 times 256 step for one project)

Each of them can be tweaked in resolution/direction/speed/lenght

That’s A LOT …

1 Like

Any info available for synchronizing changes here with Pattern-Changes on a Digi*?

Wow, that sounds really great.
If it’s a easy to configure pattern changes for elektrons, could be a core on my setup, because the change of pattern on novation circuit style I feel always more intuitive.

1 Like

Exactly !

Thing I love to do , it’s to make a chord progression in 4 pattern , and then , I let the last pattern alone (to repeat himself) perfect for transition/build-up/tension !

Im glad to see the same workflow on a standalone sequencer ! (And being stuck to not be able to do it on the Digitakt makes me angry hahaha )