Novation Launchpad Pro Mk3

Yeah, I love RT’s video stuff. Honestly, I also just love his enthusiasm, lack of cynicism, and mellow attitude, too. He seems genuinely excited about making music.

4 Likes

You could copy the pattern an reduce it to the last chord. So, it’s possible but with more hassle.

Off topic: I really like your profile pic

On topic: if this is cheap cheap I’ll nab it for my live setup
edit reason: nah was supposed to be nab it. sorry

1 Like

Yes Ricky Tinez it is, thanks for the correction.
He is super mellow and informative.

And yes Loopop is the technical advisor for sure :slight_smile:

If I want to know what stuff can do, I go to Loopop. If I want advise on if it’s for me, I go to Ricky Tinez.

2 Likes

I like his Sirin/Octatrack/Circuit video, really informative and super cool little setup!
He’s a chilled dude.

1 Like

The reason why Ricky’s been quiet - he’s manning the Novation booth at NAMM! MusicTech did a video overview at the Novation booth and he did a demo. Much better walk through of its capabilities.

6 Likes

Ok , im fking sold

Poly aftertouch , even for custom mode template

Midi channel changes on the fly , even with the built in sequencer

Project&Sequence are saved in standalone , and can be recall and store in computer by components : <3

Even drum sequencer has pitch shifting/polymeter and probability per step for EACH pads

Project/Sequence and Pattern can be chained in different ways and be SAVED ! (THAT IS SUPER COOL !! Way clever implementation than the BSP or new Keystep Pro , works like a semi-song mode that you can customize/modify on the fly !)

Seems to works so flawlessly (but we are speaking about Tinez here , hahaha , he must have got some time to mess around with it !)

I can’t even imagine how powerfull it could turn with future firmware (4 sequencer seems a bit underwhelming , 8 would be PERFECT ! could even replace my Digitakt centered setup)

Well donne novation !

2 Likes

Okay. If this one has polyrytm per drum pad, I’m going for this before the Keystep Pro.

2 Likes

The only thing I really think is missing on this guy is note repeat/ arpeggiator. I have the launchkey mini mk3 which I Could midi in for the Arp, but I would love to replace my Push 1 with this for a sleeker profile and better portability without extra cable nonsense.

3 Likes

Yeah , this is a « cons »

But , since I have already a Beatstep Pro , and can connect into the Midi In of this new LPP , yeah , there is some workaround

Im sure that if this feature is heavily requested , it will be implemented in a future firmware for sure

Honestly don’t expect much firmware update from them. I know the circuit gives a nice picture about firmware updates but their controllers don’t get much love. There are just too many offering for them to keep steady development of all their product. Maybe I’m just still bitter about the SL Mk III but it’s still better to not expect anything.

1 Like

The recent SLmk3 firmware update was great!

Sweetwater rep told me they’ll be in stock early next month.

For me it was underwhelming. Microstep editing is nice but was expected on release because of the circuit. NRPN improvement was a big overlooked feature from release too, since it made some of the advertised templates unuseable(which even with the update you have to fix manually). More than 6 months after release it’s a disapointment. Midi thru doesn’t work either, I didn’t try it with the new firmware but there was no mention in the release note. Add to that the initial response from support which told me to not use the feature and build the template myself (I then got a more descent response from another person after I voiced my discontent at the tone and content of the message I got).

Anyway, rant over. I’d say, wait at least 6 months to a year to buy any new gear, I learned my lesson on the sl mkIII but it applies to most of what gets released these days

3 Likes

FW 1.2 for the Peak was an absolute MONSTER, added literally everything everyone had been asking for. I think you can be confident that any Novation product will receive excellent regular updates, look at the BS2 update which added an insane list of cool things.

1 Like

I wonder if they’ll open source the firmware again? I started programming some things on the old one but found that I needed to re-create a lot of the basic functionality to “add to” what already existed (aka they didn’t provide any of the original code).

If they did, I would hope they would provide the original code.

2 Likes

Yeah, same. I thought it would end up being a more integrated part of my hardware setup, and instead it’s just a really nice MIDI keyboard controller with a bunch of knobs and faders I never touch, and a sequencer that isn’t quite good enough to use.

Honestly, they should just consider pumping out templates for every hardware device they get their hands on, because the last thing users want to do is spend their night on the computer making custom templates for all their gear, rather than actually playing the gear. If one were at least able to customize on the keyboard alone, I’d be much happier.

All of that said, I like a lot about this new Launchpad as a hardware sequencer. Small, flat, elegant, easy to transport, a nice polyphonic aftertouch grid for playing, and now 32 steps instead of 16 in front of you at a time, plus the tempo divisions of the Mono Station. Lots to love.

3 Likes

Very true about the sequencer… might even trade in my sub phatty and get a minitaur and this to do quick sessions live.

1 Like

After some thought, I’ve come to the conclusion that this will be my Namm investement. Lots of cool stuff this year, but this one is the only piece that truly adds some real value to my mediocre meanders through musicland.

6 Likes