Novation // Circuit

At the risk of being declared insane, or perhaps just face an extension of an already existing such label, I can testify to this. It’s the only kit I have now, even the Octatrack had to go.

And while there’s a ton I can’t do with it, it’s really only about what it enables me to do. It enabled this:

And that’s enough for me.

I have watched a few video demos, and none of them answer the basic question of how does the sample option work?

Do you forfeit one synth that gets 64 samples?, or does each drum part get one sample? Can you use all the samples while using all the drums?

How is polyphony affected by the sample usage?

I’ve always wanted a drum machine that had a good enough synth engine to write bass lines, and the Electribes just never cut it for me - too hard to write melodies. This looks like it might be the right beast for the job!

S.

You can replace any of the drum samples with a sample of your choice. Each of the four drum parts can trigger any of these samples. It’s a bit like a four-voice Volca Sample.

Ahh, so 64 samples are just the ones in memory - only 4 can play in a song.

Yes, essentially you got 64 slots to put your samples in, but no more than 60 seconds in total to play with. So in that respect, it’s like a Volca Sample. A defined number of slots, and a memory limit that cuts you off if you’re generous on your sample length.
Then, the Circuit’s four drum tracks can be assigned to anyone of these 64 slots, which use the Circuit’s default drum sounds if you don’t load samples into it. It’s not a game changer, but it’s a neat trick, all the same.
The synth voices remain unaffected by this, so the two 6-voice synths can go about their business.

Played a gig this weekend with my buddy who uses a Circuit to sequence his JU-06. He uses the internal synth voices too, but having the JU-06 for pad layers on top sounded quite nice.

I now have one of these. It’s super fun and very portable. Definitely one to jam on in the kitchen in the evenings, in my lunch hour at work, etc. The editor is pretty awesome when the Circuit’s hooked up to my Mac, too (although, see below).

A few questions:

1. It seems that you need to have the sequencer stopped to p-lock individual steps and that you can’t p-lock ‘live’. Is that right? (I can use momentary record as a workaround and do some quick automation, but then I need to make sure the macro is back in the original position before my next step.) It would be great if you could p-lock live by holding an existing step in record mode and then moving the macro knobs.

2. I can’t get the standalone software editor on Mac to just open. I always have to load the disc image first and then open it from there, it doesn’t seem like it can be properly installed. Anyone else had this?

3. I have the Ableton version too, but that didn’t automatically add to my Max instruments or effects list. Is there a specific directory I should put it in for it to appear in Live’s browser? In the end, I added it as a user folder at the bottom of the browser so I can see it, but am I missing something obvious?

If you haven’t already, check out the latest firmware update (released a few days ago) that contained updates to this feature. I haven’t fully explored it yet, but read somewhere that you can tweak these locks while the sequencer is running, essentially giving you an idea of what this is going to sound like while still jamming.
But I’ve yet to try it, so I don’t know for sure.

[quote="" andreasroman""]

If you haven’t already, check out the latest firmware update (released a few days ago) that contained updates to this feature. I haven’t fully explored it yet, but read somewhere that you can tweak these locks while the sequencer is running, essentially giving you an idea of what this is going to sound like while still jamming.
But I’ve yet to try it, so I don’t know for sure. [/quote]
I’m on the latest firmware. I know for sure because the editor works, and that was only in beta before.

Best Idea EVAR!!!

I’m on the latest firmware. I know for sure because the editor works, and that was only in beta before.[/quote]
You’re probably already aware then, but if you aren’t, check this out:
https://global.novationmusic.com/circuit-components-components

I’m on the latest firmware. I know for sure because the editor works, and that was only in beta before.[/quote]
You’re probably already aware then, but if you aren’t, check this out:
https://global.novationmusic.com/circuit-components-components
[/quote]
This update coincided with me finding about the Circuit, and it pushed me over the line. :slight_smile: I already have a few sample sets to load in (cheers, Tarekith!) when I’m tired of the factory ones. Can’t wait for people to start producing patch libraries, too!

Best Idea EVAR!!! [/quote]
Agreed. And implement scenes somehow on A4/AK too.

Hé… Thats a nice jam! I bought a circuit this weekend… sold the Rytm eventually… I like the Rytm very much but use it less then the A4.
I jammed a little bit with the circuit and I like this little funny box, I think its a great jam and live tool! I’m gonna try out the sampling this week, maybe the volca sample has to go too :imp:
I’m glad that you find yourself again (musically) in a little music box of trics. Maybe not the octatrack anymore but you have fun with your circuit!

You must really like the Circuit for you to have a Soundcloud account as Circuit ghost.

You must really like the Circuit for you to have a Soundcloud account as Circuit ghost.[/quote]
Nah. It’s Novation liking me. I was the ghost years before they thought of their box.
But it’s a funny coincidence.

Hé… Thats a nice jam! I bought a circuit this weekend… sold the Rytm eventually… I like the Rytm very much but use it less then the A4.
I jammed a little bit with the circuit and I like this little funny box, I think its a great jam and live tool! I’m gonna try out the sampling this week, maybe the volca sample has to go too :imp:
I’m glad that you find yourself again (musically) in a little music box of trics. Maybe not the octatrack anymore but you have fun with your circuit![/quote]
Thanks, that’s very nice of you to say :slight_smile: I do like the places the Circuit takes me.

Here is what I read :
[ul]
[li]If several MIDI tracks have been assigned the same MIDI channel, [color=red]only the active track will record notes or CC data. [/li]
[/ul]
It doesn’t mean you can’t record simultaneously on two different tracks assigned to different MIDI channels.
But I may have overlooked something.[/quote]
Please go ahead and investigate, and report back here with your findings.[/quote]
Just wanted to report back on this : as stated in the manual, one can record notes/trigs only on active track…
Seems obvious now.

1 Like

As someone who likes the Elektron Machinedrum and Monomachine (mmm, FM+), is it possible for the Circuit to act like a portable ‘lite’ version of those? I’m not expecting it to be nearly as rich, but wondering if it can do wild metallic / “p-lock the LFO on this step and then reset it” kind of things?

Or is the Circuit really more straight-up virtual analog style / ‘normal’ beats and rhythms kind of thing? How experimental can it go?

Yes. It has its own version of p-locking and a deep sound engine for the synths. The drum sections allow for custom samples and some of the delays are weird enough.
Also, the workflow itself will genetate stuff you’d never come up with on another instrument. You’ll enjoy it for sure.