Novation // Circuit

New Novation groove box…

1 Like

Looks fun/quick. Not sure it would offer enough depth of sound sculpting for me to be in to picking one up tho. Hard to tell from that video but I imagine things could get very ‘samey’ very quick…

Very underwhelming, personally I though it was going to be an analogue Drum Station type device with a similar form factor to the Bass Station II. If the price point was the same, there would probably be a good market for it.

Grid based instruments have lost their novelty a little, what do others think?

For the price its pretty amazing. If they could add 2 extra synths and 4 part sample playback Id pay quite a bit for that.

That seems like a dream come true for feeding your Octatracks!

Kinda reminds me of the Tenori-on

Better demos…

Nice - if I didn’t have any gear at all, this would be a nice entry for music making OTB.

Paired with a Volca Sample, you could have a poor man’s/portable pseudo-Monomachine/Octatrack combo :joy:

It’s probably not for me, but I did get the Sample recently for couch jamming, so I may keep an eye out for a sale/used price on a Circuit.

Sounds weak to me.

cool concept weak sounds

Im not sure what you mean by “weak”? Not to your taste?

Sounds quite deep to me, if its got the ultra nova engine its certainly got quite wide synthesis possibilities.

I’m personally quite excited about this, the interface is really nifty.

Right I’m gonna try to post properly this time.

Man I gotta learn how to use forums…

Sorry about the multiple links on the post… I swear I posted it once… I deleted it so here goes again!

Here’s a couple more examples for your sonic perusal. These tracks didn’t sound too weak to me on my headphones in the hotel although I’m looking forward to testing their strength on the monitors in the studio when I eventually get home too.

I intend on turning the track from the plane into a full demo vid soon. So far it’s easily becoming my favourite.

-CALC-

Calc,

does the circuit double as an extrernal gear controller? I would consider buying the circuit as a sketch pad to use on the go and later ‘translate’ to some more serious gear. if it’s possible without a computer, im sold. :wink:

im really liking this thing. calc, those demos sound really good.

ive been kicking around the idea of getting a volca or the microbrute - just some synth i can play on the couch with my kids. this looks to be just the thing. not too pricey, not too complex, perfect for casual jamming.

Yep.
It’s completely stand alone but of course, Circuit can also connect and control a computer if you are so inclined.
Circuit also fires out MIDI note and realtime CC data from the MIDI ports so it is more than happy sequencing external gear. The USB port will also send out sequencer, CC data and all the CC automation info as well.
I get what you are saying about ‘serious’ gear but ‘seriously’ wait til you play on it… 2x6 voice Nova polysynths + 4 Drum voices… all capturing automation from either live tweaking and/or per step tweaking (which we Elektron fans call something else beginning with P), can also sound pretty serious… pretty quickly.

The New Year

im really liking this thing. calc, those demos sound really good.

ive been kicking around the idea of getting a volca or the microbrute - just some synth i can play on the couch with my kids. this looks to be just the thing. not too pricey, not too complex, perfect for casual jamming.

Thanks
It really is all of those things and more… expect to lose a lot of hours on that couch… I have.
Also expect a few “No!.. it’s my turn” wrestling matches with the kids :wink:

You’re also right, it’s perfect for casual jamming but…

Each session (or saved patch if you like) gives you 8 patterns, a pattern being one of the 16 step sequences.
These patterns can be chained together to give you 128 steps per Session for longer sequences. You can also use any of the 32 sessions slots as 8 bar (128 step) phrases or sections of tracks. eg you could use 4,5,6 or heck even 32 Sessions to make up a whole track.

Whilst the sequencer is running, sessions will of course start perfectly in sync and can start either at the beginning of the chosen Session or (using the shift button) mid-sequence.
Each saved session captures your sound design, note and automation data (in fact pretty much everything you do!), so playing Sessions can therefore make for less casual jamming and much more serious live arranging.

That said if you do want to use it for casual jamming though, it’s perfect!

So, let’s say I have the Circuit hooked up to my Bass Station 2 via midi cable.
Can I send BS2 notes and sequenced Midi CC# data as well (a’la Elektron style midi output parameter locks)?

And if so, how many CC#s can it send externally per track?

[quote="“AdamJay”"]

Can I send BS2 notes and sequenced Midi CC# data as well (a’la Elektron style midi output parameter locks)?[/quote]
You can send note and CC data from the MIDI outs. The recorded automation data is currently only sent out from the USB.

Can I send BS2 notes and sequenced Midi CC# data as well (a’la Elektron style midi output parameter locks)?[/quote]
You can send note and CC data from the MIDI outs. The recorded automation data is currently only sent out from the USB. [/quote]
Thanks,
So then, is it driver-less, class compliant USB MIDI, of the sort that would work with Kenton USB Midi host (or iConnectMidi4+) to translate the USB MIDI into DIN MIDI?

The Novation Circuit downloads page shows a driver for Windows only, which is a good sign for such adapted functionality. I’m crossing my fingers.