Novation // Circuit

@TheWhistler @nionmu
You can edit the most (if not all) of the Circuit parameters as a hardware synth with a Novation Launch Control XL. I’ve been considering getting one for that purpose…

thanks for the link, interesting. :slight_smile:

sadly you need a pc or usb midi host, since that lcxl doesnt have din midi (or at least midi via mini jacks)

also it would take a while to learn, which control does what, across 5 layers, but for someone who wants that control, it can be worth it, i guess

i have the most fun with circuit, when used on its own (with my own synth patches and samples)

Thank you for the link. I knew about that already, though. I mapped my own midi controller (UC-16) to the circuit. It is better than not having it, but it´s fun tweaking sound either. Too many limitations. 3 Envelopes. At least the 2nd (filter) env would be crucial to have. One can access these parameters with nrpn but I could not get my head around that. And even more the launchcontrol xl does not have a dedicated 5pole DIN midi port. So if no computer is involved you need a speparate host maybe a mergebox too, if you have a bigger setup / Keybord you want to connect to the circuit. The absence of that DIN midi is a no go for me and the Launchcontrol.

I know that :wink: but it´s not about length, it is about variation. Pattern 3 three times is 3 bars of course but still 3 times the same bar. What if you want 16, or 20 or even more different patterns…you have to deal with sessions and session switching… not that much convenient.
The only thing I use the sequencer for is as a chord memory function. I programm different chords, mute the seqencer and can play those chords by simply pressing the seq button.

1 Like

Circuit is cool, never had the nerves to program with the mouse though. Ended up buying few preset banks, from which “Delorean dreams” was great.

Remember they kept updating it with a lot of new features to the point it started using some obscure key combinations which I never remembered and had to look everytime in the manual because the thing didn’t have any labels on…

I hated the plastic feel of it and later I realized that I didn’t like rgb pads on things. Something with the colors was bugging me big time - orange with red and magenta was making my eyes bleed everytime I looked at it. For the price can’t complain though… I think it’s great for kids to learn and as a standalone box to limit yourself could be nice.

Good points. And a usb host and the XL combined are probably more expensive than the Circuit to start with, so unless you already have them laying around it’s not a great value proposition.

Now that I’m rockin a Digitakt+Digitone with a side of Circuit Mono Station, I’m trying to justify holding on to my original Circuit.

Maybe keep it as a portable musical sketchpad? I’m just so spoiled with Elektron gear and all that sonic and sequencing power.

1 Like

I kept my Circuit for it’s portability - taking it outside of the house/on a plane/train/park

(Some shameless self promotion)
I’ve just published a demo video of the Elements sound pack for Novation Circuit. Maybe some of you find it useful.

2 Likes

Question to current Circuit owners:
I’m thinking of buying one if this is possible: I’d like to edit the synth in depth with an external midi controller like the BCR2000 (or something else with endless encoders, at least not a computer!). Will the circuit sends midi CC out when turning a knob, so the knobs on the BCR2000 will reflect that?
Or even better, does the Circuit has a midi CC command to send a CC request? (for example, the OT will send all CC’s of all parameters when receiving a CC#61).

I’ve sold mine, but found this helpful when I owned it…

Thanks! Studied it but couldn’t find a ‘send request’.

The knobs on the Circuit send CCs but these are macros. What you probably want the Behringer for are direct controls not accessible via the macro knobs. So if you turn one knob on the Circuit it might affect, say, four parameters, but the Circuit will send only the macro’s CC and not the CCs of each of the affected parameters. If that’s what you were asking.

I don’t know of a way to request a CC send all.

Beware, Circuit uses a shitload of NRPN for synthesis parameters, which can be a pain with some controllers.

You can try to check the Short by BLL. It’s a little box with 8 buttons and a screen that you plug between the midi in and out of the Circuit, it allows you to access all the parameters with the knobs. Only prerequisite is to have a init patch in your patch bank with no macro assigned. Drawback: you can only assign one parameter per macro with it, and you have to keep the box plugged for it to work. Second drawback: it forces you to keep Circuit at the top of your midi chain.

@senor-bling & @Kuro thanks for the info. Seems not that perfect… What i was hoping for is when you switch between the synths or load another patch on the circuit the midi-controller will reflect the new values of the synth parameters.

I guess you’d need some intermediate device to help with that. Maybe a Bomebox might be able to do it? Get the current patch via SysEx, get the values you’re interested in and send them as CC to the Behringer. Quite the effort… and together with the Behringer you’d have spent about twice the price of a used Circuit on controller devices :slight_smile:

Edit: And yes, as @Kuro already mentioned, lots of NRPN. Either make sure the Behringer can handle those or check whether the params available as standard CCs make the whole thing worthwhile.

Or spend even more and convince the developers of the Electra One to integrate support for the Circuit.

Bcr 2000 works great with the circuit, there’s a template on the Facebook group of the circuit user

Don’t have facebook, but does it reflect the paramaters when switching patches or synth?

Better go with a Digitone then i suppose :wink:

Same here. Still use it, portability is key!