Novation // Circuit

This update is going to make traveling with my 404 even MORE fun. And I was just about to sell this little guy.

I canā€™t wait for this to be on the sl mkiii

1 Like

I wish there were a shortcut combo where you can randomize a parameter. Like hit a button combo and the gate is randomized for each note. Or velocity randomized. Or even notes randomized. I love that feature on grooveboxes, seems like itā€™d be easy to add too. Maybe in 1.9?

Just bought an unit! Iā€™m so excited :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

How are your experience with the Circuit?

I owned one, and I loved it back in the days.
Itā€™s very good to play live!
The only thing that annoyed me to the end is that you need a computer to feed it with samples and seriously edit patches.

The really good things imho are the scales. If you lets say programm chords on synth1 and send that out to an lets say volca fm and make there arp with it, and you change scale you can fast make progressions with arp backing that follows - only with a push of a button (change scale leads to change chord).

The fx (delay and reverb) are good.

Thats it, I have nothing more to say :wink:

Sounds great! I get mine today :slight_smile:

Have you ever tried the software to tweak sounds?

i have it too and love it! sold one but got another one again later. it is really immediate and fun!

sound editing and and importing your own samples is easy and worth itā€¦

also check this out :grinning:

edit: link :wink:
https://circulate.neuma.studio/

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s what I meant - itā€™s a capable software, but you need a computer to tweak it. Altought itā€™s easy I got annoyed about it.

i have the 8 macro knobs set to change the same things over all patches

attack decay cutoff overdrive
and some other things

there are also editors for ipad, but i get what you meanā€¦

the possibility to back up the machine completely is great. once i got my second circuit i could load the state i saved over a year ago into it and it worked like a charmā€¦

also it is cool, that so many features have been added to it via firmware updates

Ok

It is lacking a (at least small) display. Not being able to edit sounds at the machine itself is a real downside.
It has 2 really decent synth-engines, though. Which makes it even more sad it can not be tweaked better and stand alone.

Thatā€™s one point why they get my attention now for their productā€¦ because of their great update historyā€¦ great additions!

I also own a Korg electribe 2ā€¦ Korg never have done such cool updates to their maschinesā€¦ my E2 lives in my closet for some years now because I didnā€™t get any insperation of it!

yes, i can see your point, but no display is a plus at the same time. it makes it simpler and you concentrate more on the notes and the flow is really good with it, because its limitedā€¦ if you can adapt to this workflow it is really rewardingā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m with youā€¦

I can see your point and we might discuss this for a long time butā€¦I am always a bit annoyed by this restriction, despite the circuit being a phantastic synth.

i also hate to edit the circuit sounds on my computer, because i am spoiled by the elektron workflow :sunglasses: ( where composing and sounddesign is one fluid process)

usually i load new sounds and samples to the circuit and then fill it up with patterns/ideas. once full i save it and start fresh with new content for synths and samples

also sometimes i get carried away and just noodle around in scale mode

one can dream:
on circuit pro or mk2: little oled-displays below the encoders with name / value, organised in multiple pages a la elektron would be killer

The really good thing about the circuit is that it led me to the elektron machnines. I wanted to have a step sequencer for my work with Reaper. A step sequencer with actual buttons on it and not by mouse tweaking.
Making real songs is also hard when you only have 8 bars of a sequence. You might say there are sessions but that is to much switching imho.

I am controlling the synth engine of my circuit with the midi seq of my digitakt.

1 Like

thanks for the insights, always useful to see what other people doā€¦

you can make longer sequences since the 1.7 firmware. (for example play pattern 3 two times, then pattern 1 thirteen times and then pattern 7 four times) there are videos about it. also drone mode was in this update :sunglasses:

1 Like