Novation Circuit Rhythm and Circuit Tracks

The aesthetic of Circuits do not do it for me at all. Much prefer Elektron aesthetics

2 Likes

My expectations and hopes for a new synth/drumengine wasn’t met. Since this isn’t Microtonic in a Box either, i am looking again at other setup ideas. Roland TR6s with Dreadbox Typhon and Toraiz AS-1, sequenced by Digitakt/Toraiz Squid sounds like a good combo.

1 Like

700 AUD it is being advertised as, could pick up an MPC one for 400 more so its getting into that competitive range price wise. I think it is worth the price, but so much other gear around that can do similar functionality.

not thrilled about the look of the circuit tracks but imagine if that was an Akai force mini, I would pay $999 for that

1 Like

I think this is the trick with Circuit. Put in the work to get packs of synth patches and samples that you like. It just feels counter-intuitive for a device that’s all about immediacy.

Honestly, it’s never been that hard changing Circuit packs on the go, you could do it with an Android phone and an OTG adaptor. It was just creating packs that was the chore. Ideally I’d have my favourite synth sounds and different packs just for different samples.

My number one feature add for Circuit would be an extra page of the pads where each pad selected gave you direct access to each synth parameter via the 8 knobs, so you could have 32x8 or 64x8 or whatever. You’d need a cheatsheet obviously. And damn it would be nice if the same could be used just for sending midi CCs, pad 1 gives cc1-8, 2 is cc9-16 etc.

2 Likes

Same ways you would do it with OP-1 or MS or SP-404…

1 Like

Well it does have external inputs, and clock ins and outs.
So how about Circuit Tracks + PO Tonic?

I’ve considered this as well. Battery powered, portable. I have a 6700mah battery velcro’d to the side of my Typhon. Both Typhon and TR-6S are about the same size.
Problem (for me) is only one has an input (Typhon) and it’s mono, and has to go through the filter and VCAs so not really a good combo unless you’re okay adding a mixer (and you probably are).
Ugh. Wish the TR-6S had the input the TR-06 has. and the probability steps too!

1 Like

Thought she was playing that like an SP-404… checked the comments, yep SP-404 musician. :slight_smile:

I get more sp vibes from this, but maybe the circuit rhythm will have more of a vibe to its sound…the circuit tracks doesn’t have that sound imo

2 Likes

For sure, there’s definitely an SP style of playing that folks apply to various instruments.

I think the Circuit Rhythm with its grid FX will be the new SP. Roland is probably watching.

3 Likes

I hope so… it’s amazing what they fit into the new MCs but damn the workflow

3 Likes

I will take Clips/Patterns per Track over monolithic/one Pattern for all Tracks EVERY day of the week.

In that respect, the MC-101 workflow is awesome.

3 Likes

Take a look at the forthcoming Oxi One
4 sequencers, 16 patterns each, all independent from each other. :ok_hand:

Cool that the Circuit can do this.

2 Likes

Yes that‘s indeed a problem for a very compact setup on the go, which I may encounter at one time as well. Usually I mix ITB via my RME UC Total Mix, which can run standalone, not ideal though.

I still have one PO lying around, but honestly I really don’t like using it. Flimsy fiddly to use, constantly I forget the key combos. Someone simply should convince the two brothers to drop the VST UI as a Full Hardware Box. As the Vintage Tonic showed, the synth engine is still top and worthy to be hardware. Elektron hint hint.

just looked up when summer is … damn the rhythm is a while away :joy:

1 Like

Agreed, but as long as there is still some sample playback option, like on the Circuits. Those 909 and 707 hats in Vintage Tonic are (naturally) not at all convincing.

The Rhythm it is going to be the main business for a lot of guys. With 8 tracks and full sample editing and manipulation it is going to be an affordable and alternative Digitakt. The limitation of the 240 sec in the sample sounds is per project.

So, on each project you won’t be able to use more than 128 samples, but you will be able to store in the micro SD more than 2.000 of your own samples and to load each time 128 samples to use them as a sample pack at a specific project.

Deep sample editing will be possible through the Rhythm editor, and judging from the Circuit Tracks editor, this is going to be equally awesome.

1 Like

but the rhythm samples right, what kind of editing will one need to go into an editor for?

CALC from Novation said that the Rhythm will come with a good editor for detailed sample editing. I think this is going to give more possibilities which the Circuit hardware workflow can’t offer, because of the lack of the screen.

2 Likes

Cool you can sample and edit samples on the computer. I hope there will be also a sequencer on the computer so we can throw the whole Rhythm and use only the computer.

3 Likes