How do you record 'a song' from Model:Samples?

Hi guys,

I’m an happy owner of the Model:Samples. Wanted a cheap device to enter the world of Elektron before jumping to something pricier and packed with more features like the Digitakt.

So far I’m 99% satisfied and the only feature that I found to be poorly implemented is the patter chain function: it’s cumbersome, prone to errors it and it does not entirely replace a song mode (a feature completely missing on this device).

Therefore I’m here to hear which solutions you’ve come up with to put together different pattern & pattern variations and record a sort of song.

I heard that one possible solution would be to send midi program change from an external hardware / software. Do you know any cheap & straight-forward digital or physical solution to do so? It’s gonna make sense just if you can sequence such midi program changes, otherwise it would identical to jamming live on the M:S.

Another idea I heard is to record/export single patterns and then sequence them via a DAW / External Sequencer but I don’t know whether there are cost-compatible solution of this sort.

It’d be great also to apply a bit of EQ to the patterns as sometimes I find the cut-off filter limiting in trimming/boosting highs or lows.

Thanks in advance!

G.

1 Like

As Digitakt is not able to play a song alone without workarounds too, I tend to just Perform the Song while I record. That might take more than one try but is kind of fun too. So I pattern change manually. That brings a little bit of live performing in a studio feeling back from when I mainly was playing Guitar, Bass or Drums in Bands.

6 Likes

I’d love to know how people are going about this, too.

Are people just muting pads, and recording 6 passes of their patterns into their DAW, and then further processing and arranging?

What’s the best workflow for this?

So, are you not splitting each pad into individual audio tracks in your DAW?

You could perform the song as if you are playing for an audience, record it, master it and be done.
You could also “export” every Track/Part itself (because of no multitrack out via Overbridge for M:S) and arrange, cut, mix, and master in a DAW of your choice.

In Digitakt I have a separate Audio-Out for every Track via Overbridge, so I can perform the song, have every track separated as audiotrack inside my DAW in one go and can work with it there. I do Effects and alot of Cutting, Fading, Muting in DAW that way, but no multitrack out for M:S.

I record straight into audacity via USB and select the input to be the M:S. I monitor through audacity as well. Works for me so far. Not everyone will like those limitations however. I have Bitwig but only to make samples for my gear.

To clarify I just jam/have fun with music so my need for a perfect track every time is nonexistent.

3 Likes

Because the m:s has class compliant audio and midi you only need to plug it into your computer through the USB port to achieve the things you are asking.

You should not need any additional equipment.

1 Like

This is the workflow I used when I was making tunes on the OP-1…
The general ideal is get a good realtime arrangement to reference what I want to accomplish in the end. Then perform each track somewhat while soloing each track. Then arrange and not be afraid to duplicate tracks to make interesting, effected variations and layers.

Here’s the process:

Whilst recording stereo, I generally jam out 5 or 6 minutes of the tune as stereo to get a general idea of what kind of arrangement I’d prefer. Get some quality control-all in there, as I can use these for little breakdowns in the final arrangement.
We’ll call this the “master channel realtime arrangement”

Then, when done, I keep the sequencer running and I jam out a few minutes each, of “solos” of the 6 individual parts (well maybe not the kick drum). Filter tweaks, decay tweaks, transposing, LFO tweaks, FX sends, FX tails after mutes, etc.

Then I stop the recording, set that first master channel realtime arrangement to the side, and cut out each individual solo’d part and put them in their own channels in Ableton Live.
I rebuild the arrangement here, multi-track, so that I can EQ and process the parts individually. Play around with phrasing, combined track variations, etc.

I set up an additional channel for breakdowns. This is used for copy/pasting in a bar or half bar of CTRL ALL tweaks from the master channel realtime arrangement audio.

If necessary, I’ll set up another channel or two for harmonizing the synth parts/hooks. Copy+paste them in and band pass filter them while re-pitching them down a 5th, or up an octave, or whatever is necessary. Pan them opposite their original track’s audio, and maybe a gate or some reverse tricks on these layers to create complexity.

25 Likes

This is awesome. I just figured this technique out a couple weeks ago. Master jam as reference. Then solo record the individual tracks. Then cut and arrange. Duh…I should’ve known this 20 years ago :joy:

Thanks for sharing this tip btw

5 Likes

Ok, but apart from the additional equipment, is there any software that allows for sequencing midi program change? Will for example ableton intro/standard?

thanks everyone for the contributions you gave so far!

however i just want to clarify that the solution i’m looking for is exactly to avoid any improvised / live-jam recording. i’d like to lay down all the patterns and their variations on a grid, experiment different sequences and find the final optimal combination to record a kind-of-a-song.

If chaining pattern on the m:s wasn’t so poorly implemented or if it had the over bridge capabilities of the big brother digitakt I would be already more than fine

Why not multi track record each track/pattern into ableton, then arrange the recordings?

Well you’d lose any CTRL-ALL stuff that could be useful to have recorded.
Also, there’s a lot of energy in a realtime performance that can’t be recreated one track at a time.

Overall, there are reasons for and against. You just gotta do what’s right for you.

2 Likes

Basically sounds like a great method for arranging. Will try it tonight. A question about the solo parts:

So you separate the interesting parts, for example a eight bar loop, from the rest. Do you put all the selected parts first into session clips or do you carry on in the arrangement view directly?

Found the idea interesting to have all the parts in clips an start to record the final mix from there.

1 Like

Arrangement because that’s the point of using the DAW in the first place. But if you prefer to jam them out in session view to come up with an idea for arranging, then go for it. Either would work. Whatever helps you finish a song.

2 Likes