Nord Modular G1 and Mac ( & G2 )

Wondering how you use the Nord editor if you’re on a Mac. Is it run through something like Wine, pc emulator?

Does the Mac version on Nord’s website not work any more?
I am not familiar with Mac so sorry if there are now incompatibility issues…

You can download it and try
http://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/legacy/nord-modular-g2

1 Like

Ah ok, sorry I didn’t realise. I was thinking about a second hand G1 but thought there was difficulty in getting the editor to run on a new Macbok

MacBook :slight_smile:

I thought there was a discussion I contributed to on here about using Wine on OSX - works a Treat -see the quite active Nord G1 users’ group on Facebook to get little help files and insights about the steps needed to prepare Wine for a slight MIDI patch which lets it all work out

As far as I can tell it is the best experience of using a G1, by running the PC exe in Wine - it flows like a native app - the OSX version was hamstrung in comparison to the PC version (no help etc) and it always died if you right clicked

the best option is wine(patched) on osx unless you have an old os9 machine or an XP machine

see here and look for a link to an original thread on electro music for author insights or skip to the fb group for active users doing this

This walkthrough sets you up for using the Windows editor in Wine on OSX.

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-62683.html

It works! And you can also run the G2 demo in a similar fashion. :happy:

2 Likes

Yeah. What Avantronica said!

1 Like

The G2 demo is well worth a look, I took over 350 loops and samples from this before buying the Engine!
The demo is worth money yet is free! Go Nord!

I used to use it a lot, but that was a decade or so ago (on a PC I have no access to now) - I recall that it was fun for patching experimentation, but I don’t quite recall what the limitations were - so it’s one voice only … I’m guessing you don’t get the reverb ? what else is omitted/different ? do you get the full FM implementation ? I’m kinda tempted as it’s a good modular proving ground, but worried it’ll get me longing for a unobtanium-G2

it’s really a great resource for anyone wishing to explore synthesis :thup:

Yes there were some limitations, been a while for me too but I remember saving being disabled, no midi tools, not sure about voices as I used to make beats and synth lines on the demo and it was fine, think it was only one slot rather than the full four. I remember that you would hit the processing wall a bit quicker but there was plenty of fun to be had! You had access to the randomiser/parenthesis tools which are so powerful it’s ridiculous. Can’t remember about FM but the reverb was present.
The demo was brilliant, I remember building a mental frequency shifter based on the Bode (FSOL used them a lot) with some serious spacial manipulation! Samples up the wazoo!

Put it this way, in lieu of a G2 the demo is the next best thing and there is so much to play with, drum synthesis is phenomenal, crazy sequencers (only for itself mind).
Recommended for anyone into making sounds, even if you build something very simple you have the randomiser tools to show you the outer limits of possibilities within that patch, crunchy peanut butter!

2 Likes

You can certainly save!

But no more than 2 out, no audio inputs…

No DX Operator or router…

No Vocoder…

No Midi modules…

But everything else is there. Including Delays and Reverbs.

And “one voice only” is not really true since it’s modular. But no polyphony on oscillators.

Kinda a sweet deal. I still think that the Nord interface for “soft” modulars is outstanding. :heart:

4 Likes

Hmm, having tried (i’d completely forgotten how i’d got it going on the G1) I came across an issue (for me at any rate)

The G2 demo is an installer, rather than an executable in itself … is anyone using other wine utilities to get beyond this

Might it be simpler to get going if you had access to the installed executable (and other items) ?

Secondly, is there credence in the comment in an above linked thread that the latency is shocking (i.e. is it still worth the installation) ?

I’m not short of noodling options and I think I’ll pick up an Axoloti, so no point in spreading the synth love too thin tbh if I can’t get past this

@CarlMikaelBjork ACE! I was using my clearly unreliable memory there! Thought saving was disabled, anyways Bonus!

Now there is no excuse for anyone to not be using the demo!
If there is saving there must also be loading which means all the quadrillion patches online can be snapped up and tested if they are economic enough to not brick the editor, great to learn from if this is new to anyone…

I can sense my G2 Engine slowly burning it’s way out of my toy cupboard like some kind of Ark locked in a crate at the end of Raiders!

I just Wined (is that the correct term) the installer to extract the executable. It was easier than I thought.

1 Like

Many thanks - that sounds like i should’ve been able to replicate then
i tried but got confronted with seemingly unresolvable path headaches :okej:

thanks for pm too :thup:

1 Like

I use Wine on my Mac and it work perfectly well.

1 Like

I use a thing called wineskin winery to install Windows apps. I don’t know if that is overkill or not, but it works for me well. I have gotten the Nord app running using the guide mentioned earlier without issue. Good luck.

Wine on its own worked just fine with the actual app, rather than the installer for the demo, all good now - i got things working before with the G1 without similar smart add-ons to wine - i was reluctant to use something similar (wine bottler) because it’s another layer or something doing something i can’t oversee

it’s interesting to see that wine now includes the midi patch, so there’s no need to hack in the midi side - it opens up a lot of possibility to run uniquely pc progs on the mac :thup:

2 Likes

That’s cool - I’m really new to wine but the bottler works really well. I think yer right - with the nord app there was no installer so it just worked with wine. I’m not sure how to run an installer any other way though.

1 Like

apologies to being a late bloomer and late to the party. i had the micromodular way back and got my hands on a nord modular yesterday and i checked out that forum thread about getting the editor running on macos but i didn’t make sense to me :confused: terminal stuff, extracting parts(?) etc. any chance of hooking a brother up with a layman tutorial or a link to a working wine-packaged with the editor?