Nord Micro Modular

It shouldn’t be difficult to find an version of the editor for your Mac there’s about 3 different versions / ports available all of which work. It’s a phenomenally great machine. If you can afford to I would recommend buying it

What bothers me with he NMM is more the fact to use a MIDI interface and 4 MIDI cables than the use of a dedicated computer.
Otherwise it’s still a damn genius machine

2 Likes

Yes fair enough. The amount of data necessitates. I have mine on a dedicated midi interface

1 Like

I’ve tried all the native Mac options but in the end I use an original Microsoft Surface Pro (W10 Pro) to run the editor connected to the NM G1 and then access the Surface from my Mac using https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/remote-desktop-mac

Works fine and takes the load off my ageing Mac :slight_smile:

1 Like

if you’re on facebook there a NM G1 group wherein someone posted a clone of the editor they made for OSX only, i went off fb so cant grab the link for you but it’s worth checking out

1 Like

Might have to try this with my G2 Engine… Does the editor work fine with touch controls?

Sort of. You get used to it. I mostly use a mouse or via Remote Desktop. It might be better on a later Surface. Mine is one of the originals.

I use my ipad with the midi interface described above (for touch based midi, not the editor)

it really opens it up as an expressive instrument those three knobs on the micro (or zero on my g2 engine) need mapping for it to be worth using

Has anyone ever tried to programm a decent supersaw on this, layering 7 saw waves through a filter and still get 4 voices of polyphony?

What does your patch look like so far ?

yes! i made it on the G1 though, not sure what would need to be adapted on the micro.

SYN JP8080.pch (2.5 KB)

3 Likes

I don’t own a micro modular yet but they pop up on my local market place for cheap every once in a while. I don’t have digital hardware synth and just sold off my eurorack, so this seems to cover a lot of ground.
If it could do some guilty pleasure 90s trance it would be perfect.
I like the nord sound, had an original lead with the voice expansion, but even with unison, detune and layering I was never quite satisfied with that pseudo supersaw

Thanks a lot! I don’t own a micro modular yet, but I think I’ll give it a shot. Do you feel like it gets into the jp8000 ball park? I’m no purist though

I’ve not actually used one before so I couldn’t speak to purity, but I referenced a few papers on the 8080s supersaw when I was building the patch. I matched the real pitch values of the detuned oscillators as closely as possible though, that’s really the meat of the patch.

I made this track with it:

2 Likes

I doubt it, unless someone knows a trick I’m unaware of (possible!). I just did a quick check using 7 “slave” sawtooth oscillators controlled by a single oscillator controller, with the “classic” 24dB filter and independent ADSR for volume/filter and it came to 55% of the DSP power, and that was without splitting the oscillators for stereo spread (ie. just using the 8-input mixer). To have 4 voice polyphony you’d need to use less than 25% and the oscillators alone add up to 42%.

edit: This is on the Micro Modular. On the rack/keyboard G1 you could of course get polyphony with such a patch, with the amount of voices relying on whether or not the expansion card is installed.

Not sure about where you are, but for some reason the Micro Modular isn’t much cheaper than the full size version, at least here in Australia. It might be worth tracking down the full size one, unless you get a really good deal on the Micro.

1 Like

Yep, if polyphony is a concern I would definitely hunt down a proper G1 modular - even then the voice count isn’t stellar, usually around 8 voices, but that’s far outweighed by the amount of sounds you can patch up on it. Treat it right and you’ll never run out of syrupy trance leads.

2 Likes

I had a micro modular and a jp8000. If you already have a nordlead and want classic Roland supersaw, I’d suggest to try and get a jp8000. It’s the OG, others will always sound “close but no cigar”. Softsynths like sylen, serum or diva will probably get you there faster.

1 Like

Hello Friends. I believe I posted this link in a different Nord Modular thread and wanted to make sure to share here too as it looks like some folks are looking for a new Mac Editor. I heard about this on Sonic State a few months back and have successfully used it with my G1.

http://byte-order.com/site/index.php/nord-modular-editor-byte-order/

2 Likes

Wow thanks for the heads up! I haven’t tried it w/ the nord yet, but it DOES open and run on Big Sur

I see, thanks for the elaborate answer, seems like it doesnt quite fit my needs then.
The G1 isn´t really an option for me because here it goes for about twice the money and the small form factor really is the main appeal for me.