Nord Micro Modular

Ah yeah, I had the same issue with the demo … I had to get @CarlMikaelBjork to kindly send me the application buried within the installer … it all fell down for me when trying to install via the installer rather than installing the main executable - maybe see if someone can extract the executable on a Windows machine or pinch one from someone who has succeeded

I don’t think installing via the installer is insurmountable, it was just too much hassle on my attempt so I cut that step out :thup:

1 Like

I’d probably ask on the facebook group to get a prompt response, or maybe ask on electro-music :thup:

Hopefully the complete installation file count is easy to establish, I can’t imagine it’s much different from the demo which was straightforward to pinch from

I don’t remember how - but the G2 Demo was essentially the same deal. I had to install (via Wine) to get the actual .exe. But once that was done, I could Wine that executable. Lucky first perhaps?

Well. There you go! :happy:

1 Like

I ended up buying a cheap old pc laptop , under £100 , works well and I’m too lazy to fiddle with command lines

Anybody using one with windows 10?

Me!

I’ve has my eye on one for a while. How r they compared to the standard boxes of today?

Anyone still using the NMM? I’m wondering if it can run complex generative patches that include delay, reverb etc so that it could be integrated into a live setup without needing external fx.

2 Likes

not on the G1 nord modulars (you can fake reverb/delay to a small extent), but the NMM is the coolest gear item per cubic metre ever invented

the axoloti will run effects and there’s stuff like the zoia i guess or similar gear found through cycling74 channels

4 Likes

Great peace of gear, but unfortanatly the g1 series doesn’t have delays or reverbs. The G2 series has, but they are more expanisive and the rack version (which is the smallest, but still bigger then the NMM) has no knobs.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insights all. Now I’m looking at either a Streichfett or Model:Cycles (totally different options I know) as the add-on to my A4/AR setup.

I would highly rec the Zoia. You can’t do better than it for “little complex generative effects box” imo.

2 Likes

Yeah I should really look into that further. Any good demos of it being used to its full potential for ambient noise soundscape stuff?

Any good demos of it being used to its full potential for ambient noise soundscape stuff?

Definitely on the ‘ambient’ rather than ‘noise’ side of the spectrum, but the first thing that comes to mind is the Names album from Jogging House. It’s all on Youtube, starting here.

1 Like

Does the Micro Modular make any sense today? (Cheap on a local site)
But the hassle of getting anything working on a modern Mac, seems painful.

1 Like

I’ve seen people selling NM’s with pre pentium laptops. If you wanted to do that sort of thing there is e-waste (that’s how I get my computer) and hacker spaces pretty much everywhere. :upside_down_face:

I was in the same boat, I still don’t have the editor figured out but I hear you can still run it on windows. That said, I still use the patches that were left on it and find it sounds amazing while being the size of a Korg Volca. I just wish they would revive the line and update the i/o with eurorack compatibility in mind

I run one with win10, it’s been hassle-free so far. I don’t know from macs, but the last posts in this might be relevant:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-60582.html

The FM you can get out of it is 100% worth the effort imo

3 Likes

I still use mine with my 2019 macbook pro on Mojave, been using it all week again - original editor 3.03 works great via Wine.

For ref, I just use an iConnect MIDI2 with both midi DIN I/O for the editor and for ctrl/notes. Nice to just have one USB for both.

2 Likes