Nord Micro Modular

So when programming it with the editor, do you hear your changes? Or do you need to upload the patch first into one of the slots?

1 Like

Itā€™s realtime, but there is a slight pause when adding/removing a module.

2 Likes

Cool stuff.
Is there any place with 4 voice patches to get me going?

https://electro-music.com/forum/forum-94.html

Thereā€™s loads of patches here:
https://electro-music.com/nm_classic/

2 Likes

https://rhordijk.home.xs4all.nl/

1 Like

I just got one and it is such a brilliant little powerful device. It is actually a dream come true. A paradise for sound designer and performers too :wink:

2 Likes

I also picked one up last week after selling all of my eurorack. Honestly, I wish I had just started with the Micro Modular. The editor and hardware are still brilliant.

7 Likes

They are actually! Iā€™m curious on what consisted your already sold eurorack (what modules), how were you using it for, and if the approach you would take on the microModular would be the same, or maybe a complete different one? :slight_smile:

THe Micromodular is what has kept me from entering the eurorack black hole all these years. A modular you can take to gigs without suffering! Also a great monosynth, an incredible vocoder, a great drum machine, etc etc

3 Likes

I had a nearly complete Verbos system and a Make Noise Tape & Microsound Music Machine with a 0-Ctrl. Each allowed for different types of exploration and were used to create loops, textures, rhythms, melodies, bass lines, and percussion. I learned a lot by having those systems.

As I worked with another musician, I started to learn how to collaborate and be more efficient with my time. For me, modular tended to be a great solitary form of exploration but I couldnā€™t easily expand on ideas while collaborating. I would spend a lot of time trying to make something work as intended in sessions and wasted time and energy.

I realized I needed a hard line between exploration and collaboration. In my opinion, exploration is the most fun when itā€™s messy and solitary and collaboration works best when itā€™s efficient and performative. Micro Modular allows me to explore, save, return, and eventually make a patch performative with an additional interface like a Faderfox. I also embrace the limitations of Micro Modular because they focus my thinking.

Now I focus on interfaces and systems that allow that separation. The Nord Drum 3p, Linnstrument, and even Max come to mind.

4 Likes

Hello! I had a Micro Modular years ago and Iā€™m tempted to buy anotherā€¦ searching around I found two more recent editors that are available for Mac OS. Is anyone using either the Stage Engine or the Blue Byte editor successfully with Mac OS Monterey? Would be nice to have at least some kind of confirmation before spending money on thisā€¦ Thank you! :green_heart:

I got it running. But I donā€™t have one to test it on. Iā€™ll assume at it loads it werks.

But, you know What happens when one assumes. :grimacing:

5 Likes

The Stage Engine works ok here.
But Iā€™m simply using a Wine version of the original 3.0 editor and no problems. Go for it, itā€™s a beast !

3 Likes

I just got the OG editor working in Wine. I had to install some optional libraries, and it really did not like my generic 4x4 interface. After plugging in the Edirol UM-2, though, itā€™s smooth sailing.

I forgot how great this thing sounds.

2 Likes

Are you running the current OSX on an M1 chip by any chance?

Hi! Iā€™m thinking on getting one NMM, I read the manual and definitely would like to explore more this device, can anybody confirm any of the editors offer full features under Apple ARM CPUs and modern MacOS? I think this should work but have not collected too much info about it Nord Modular Editor ( Byte Order )

Would you mind elaborating a little ? I got the programme (editor) running under wine on a raspberry pi but it didnā€™t recognise ā€œanyā€ midi interface including the Nord itself

The byte order one works but is crashy and developer appears not to publish updates.

Best way is to use the original windows editor with crossover. Works flawlessly for me. Get a trial of crossover for free to test.

1 Like

This one works really well for me

I use it on my M1 Mac Mini and my Nord Modular.

2 Likes

Nice. Thanks