Noob questions

More then possible with OctaEdit:

In the Samples module in OctaEdit you can simply click on a sample and it will show you where it is used anywhere in the Project (or other Projects in the Set)

You just need to switch on the [ Analytics ] option in the Samples Module; and the results will be displayed in the Analytics module automagically.

The same logic exists within the Manager module; and applies to both the Source and Target Sets/Projects.

2 Likes

Oups, using a dimmer in the dark! :slight_smile:
Don’t you know OcaEdit?
t%C3%A9l%C3%A9chargement%20(1)

3 Likes

Here’s something I’m trying to figure out and dunno if there’s a good workaround…

Is there a way to have all the record buffers clear when you change banks? Or is there a fast way to empty the record buffers (ideally with them finishing their pattern?) Or do you have to go through every track individually?

Set a one-shot rec trig at the start of the new pattern to record silence? What’s your goal with this?

I’ve been doing a live set lot of resampling with both one shot record trigs and regular record trigs. Ideally I could switch over to another bank with emptied record buffers so I can start fresh in the next section.

Edit* live set but it’s filled with love :wink:

The quickest option besides overwriting with rec trigs is probably the shortcut Fn+Rec3 then erase all buffers. Or power cycle the machine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I had a feeling that might be the answer.

Maybe a workaround would be to reserve track 8 to sample the main out and — I pretty much don’t use multiple patterns — have a second pattern act as a looper with only track 8 having playback trig where I can have some time to delete the buffers. Not IDEAL but I suppose I can also then save the main outs loop and come back to it later on if I want.

Changing Memory Config settings clears all buffers. But apparently it stops playback.

Theorically you can record silence with rec trigs, disabling all AB/CD/SRC3 source by holding rec trigs.*
Theorically again you can use a pattern with a different part, change sources settings. I’d avoid part changes, I had REC SETUP “bugs” with part changes, with or without rec trigs IIRC.
To be tested!

*Edit : tested, it works. Hold a rec trig, unselect INAB /INCD. You have to select one source, so you can select SRC3 with “–” source.

1 Like

Is there a way to dump midi files of patterns? Or should I just point the OT midi out at a daw and hit record?

No.

OctaEdit has Midi Export functionality that handles Notes, MicroTiming and Parameter Locks.

Yes.

Edit: You’ll have to play around and see if you can capture Trigless Trigs / Trigless Locks / One Shot Trigs / Parameter Locks etc.

2 Likes

ty

So this guy made a video pointing some Octa’s downsides. Most of them i already knew and just got used to them.

But one got me worried : he said if you put a filter on a FX slot, even if you keep the filter completely open, it will degrade the sound. Is it true ? :thinking:

Currenlty i’m using a filter on my master channel. Shouldn’t i ?

1 Like

What do your ears say?

5 Likes

That’s @defenestration and he knows his shit when it comes to the Octa. Good vid too.

I haven’t done close comparisons before and after. Try it and like Rusty said, use your ears.

2 Likes

Here’s from the mothership:

4 Likes

Haven’t had much OT time lately but my last sessions I raised the resonance a bit when using a master filter for its fully open resting state (usually I raise it along with width/base changes using a scene) just to boost the high end a tad, a little extra sparkle…

3 Likes

Not noticeable on all audio material.
Noticeable on distorted material, high harmonic content, or after several resampling…
The worse fx in that concern is LOFI.

2 Likes

I also state in the video that the filter is probably my most used FX on Octatrack :smile:

however, in a setup where OT is the only sound source and/or is the final mixer, I would be extremely unlikely to use filter on the master bus; it dulls the signal and smears the phase (this degradation is most easily heard when processing full arrangements/mixes), which makes perfect sense as it’s an aggressive resonant filter and not a linear phase EQ :slight_smile:

9 Likes

To be honest i’m not noticing such a difference but actually i’m using a filter FX on C D inputs, where i’m pluggin the audio out from the Rytm. On my master channel i have only a compressor that simulates a limiter.