Noob questions

Use a waveform that applies only negative modulation, inverted saw, inverted ramp for example. If you can’t find a suitable one, use the lfo designer to build one.

3 Likes

Save the LFO. P lock at 0 and p lock at - 4 and set the track to slide.

1 Like

Lots of threads concerning sync issues are live these days. They all treat the same issue: trying to match two devices in order to get sample accurate correspondance without using a clock link. Be aware that without a shared clock a sample recorded at 120 bpm on one device will not neccesarily have the same number of samples for an equal duration (expressed in bars) than on another device because their time base is slightly different. Time stretch can compensate for this.

2 Likes

This probably was my issue, as i was sequencing in Octa and recording in Ableton. Next time i will do as you suggested, thanks !

Supposing you set a sample to Loop on and you want the sample to loop for let’s say, 4 bars. How do you make the loop stop in the 5th bar ?

Mute it.

Or set its per track scaling to 1/8, make trig 1 have a trig condition of 1st and make trig 9 p locked to mute the volume.

… I think I did that math right. It might be wrong. Play with it.

2 Likes

Wrong sample length. Bad Ableton selection / export. I guess there’s a grid to select it perfectly…

1 Like

Yes, due to incorrect clocking on the recorder side. Open the sample in a editor and look what the exact number of samples is. The BPM, as I have said before, is not a standard to measure sample lengths.

1 Like

Hey I have a simple one that’s been bothering me lately

I often find myself wanting to use the same sample but with a bunch of different slice settings, etc. I know that loading the same sample into a different slot will get the job done, but I would prefer to make a new copy of the file with a new name. Is there an easy way of doing this without resampling?

Sample Editor [ Save Sample Copy ]

pp85

2 Likes

Ty not sure how I missed this! Is it flex only?

So i’m with my Octa for more than one year by now and still… from time to time something happens that proves i’m still a noob :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a track with a sample sliced in 3 parts. When i go to AED, i can hear the parts correctly sliced, 1 , 2 and 3.

But when i put a trig to play ONLY slice 2, it plays slice 2 AND 3…

Track SRC Setup is SLIC = ON and trig is STRT = SL2

What am i missing ?

1 Like

In the Playback Setup Menu is LEN set to SLIC?
Dunno how it’s called on the MK2, but if you double tap SRC, you should be in the menu where you can set LOOP to OFF, AUTO and OFF and there should be a LEN switch right next to the switch that lets you switch slices on and off which if set to SLIC lets you control how many slices are played with LEN parameter on SRC.

Either set LEN on SRC main to 1 (plays one slice) or set LEN in SRC setup to TIME then LEN on SRC main controls the length of the slice played.

5 Likes

It’s the length. When you’re in slice mode LEN in playback is the equivalent of number of slices it will play.

4 Likes

:man_facepalming:t2:

Thank you !

2 Likes

Two noobies for tonight :slightly_smiling_face:

1 - Is there a fast way to know if a sample loaded in a track is actually being used in the current pattern or better yet, in the current bank ?

2 - Somehow i never use flex machines, all my tracks are static machines. Will i be in trouble ?

You only need to use flex machines if you want to modulate sample start via an lfo or if you’re using recording buffers iirc.

1 Like
  1. Go through all the tracks and see what the sample is? I don’t quite get your question…

2. No not really. You won’t ever be able to play rec buffers which is real fun. But if you don’t care about that then whatever.

1. Possible with OctaEdit.
    In OT, you can use the Purge Sample function.
    It removes unused samples.
    If the sample is still fhere, it is used! :slight_smile:
    Doesn’t work for slots 1-8 (default track samples).

2. Flex Gods are very susceptible! :scream:

Sometimes really sounds like you’re trolling us

1 Like