Noob questions

Also very true. But today we have plug-ins that emulate SSL, Neve, Pultec, etc. pretty convincingly, I’d say.

What we do not have are plug-ins that emulate Nile Rogers :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s exactly what I want to to for example… play the chorus, verse, and keychange… so I should should record each in it’s full length and get the the OT to trig it once?

Again, my opinion on the matter is this: The OT is the wrong tool for the job in this particular case. It’s doable, but it’s an utter, total, hair-ripping, mania-inducing pain-in-the-anus. What you are doing is using a scalpel to hammer a nail in place.

Record the parts into a DAW where it’s much easier to line up and edit, then transfer them to your OT.

Back to noobies : Can the Octa’s fill also trigger a Rytm’s fill that is slaved / receiving program changes from to the Octa ?

No. No MIDI message is sent when selecting Fill.

So only thing i can do is push both fill buttons at the same time :stuck_out_tongue:

Or just use separate patterns for the fill, obviously.

2 Likes

If you want to trigger the fills simultaniously, yes.
I’m not sure about the Rytm, but I think you trigger the fill just with pressing the [Page] Button, Octa gives you more options; [Up] + [Page] for momentary fill, [Up] + [Down] + [Page] to latch Fill ([Down] + [Page] to unlatch) and [Down] + [Page] to activate fill at next pattern cycle (active for one pattern cycle).

So you could easily trigger the fill on the OT with [Down] + [Page] and press the button on the Rytm at the right time.
I use [Up] + [Page] on the OT and trigger the fill on my AK without any problems, just have to stretch a little^^

If you use PRE fill condition after FILL you can trigger the fill and it will play all PRE trigs after the FILL trig. This way you don’t have to press the button down during the whole fill section.

2 Likes

Thanks for the fill ideas guys !

Usually most of my questions takes into account using the Octa in live situation ; in a studio situation everything is a lot easier, you can just use the song mode in both Elektron machines and everything will work fine.

What are your Flex machine settings?

You might also try setting Dynamic Recorder to Yes. I forgot exactly where it is - should be in the manual.

.Are you plugging guitar straight into Octatrack? Electric Guitar typically puts out -10 dB range signal. Might be too weak for Octatrack. Put the OT in your amp effects loop if it has one. If not, you will need a preamp or DI box.

1 Like

A lot of guitarists prefer the mic-on-amp sound. So the process would be to put a mic on your guitar amp speaker, and sample via the mic. The mic would have to properly preamped of course. I almost never do that though because I have neighbors, so I just use a modeling amp and speaker simulator.

Once you have recorded your sample, you can edit it on the OT or your computer. If you use the OT, you can use it’s slicing functions to create slices in your guitar sample, then trigger those in the sequencer.

Also, as stated in the below document, you have an 80MB RAM limit when you use the Flex machine. The closer you get to the limit (approx. 8 min) the more limited your options get. Again, this is all explained in the document.

1 Like

curious why the ot is the wrong tool? I’m getting pretty good a slicing… infact it’s just as as fast as my daw:) why is hair ripping? if I record them in a daw and line them up why would I transfer them back to the ot if they’re lined up in daw… again I have no issues slicing… I dont find the process in the ot pain in the anus.

I’m using a line 6 pod 500hd and it has settings to run straight into a mixer… the signal is not to weak… I’m not having issues with my guitar sound not sure why people think I do… the pod is built for this type of thing g to be directly inputted into a mixer or powered speaker… theres settings on it.

What you said here is the reason people are thinking that you have a problem with your guitar sound. Most people here just want to help.

But if you don’t really have a problem anymore, then life is good

I understand that and am thankful… I wont say much more because it will surely start an argument… but if they read ALL comments they’d see the issue… I stated many times tonal is not my problem ty everyone:)

Without going into all the steps and setting details, I’ll say that using the qrec parameter quantizes recording start and stop. Using either pickup machines or track recorders if you start the sequencer first you can use qrec to start recording on the next sequencer cycle and use rlen (recording length) to match the length of your pattern and record a perfect guitar loop while playing along with your drum track, the guitar sample will match the current bpm as your sequence and play back as you recorded using just one play trig on step one of the track your playing back on. It’s also possible to set rlen to max and use one2mode in recording setup which allows defining a loop length and also obeys qrec to make longer loops for example 128 or 512 steps… For longer loops to play back over the sequence in their entirety you’d need to use a 1rst condition on the play trig, a one shot play trig, or set the master length of the pattern high and use a fractional track scale option on the play track…

This will play the guitar recording as you made it along with the drum track, but you can also just go nuts slicing and warping and do all manner of sampler mayhem using multiple play trigs, slice locks, plocks, and whatever to play back a more electro remix of your guitar line instead of just straight. You can have a straight playback track and a remixed version and mix between them with the fader. If you want you can set the OT up to immediately loop your guitar lines without having to stop, save the sample, and load it to a track machine… It keeps going after that, it’s a powerful machine…

3 Likes

Hopefully that’s not overwhelming, I just wanted to say things are possible and there are many ways to go about things. Looking back at your comments and to sum up the above I suggest recording verse, chorus, etc, separately having the sequencer going as you record and utilizing the qrec setting to make samples that match pattern length or even multiples of pattern length. Look into one2mode for samples longer than 64 steps…

2 Likes

this sounds perfect… I’ll dig into the manual some more so I can make sense of it better any particular chapters I should start at?

Sorry, I was somehow unable to understand that you were really talking about arranging guitar samples in Octatrack. Open_Mike is smarter than me.

Search the manual for qrec, one2mode, memory settings especially dynamic recorders, and any other parameters I mentioned in that first post. Might want to read chapter 9. Track Recorders and Pickup Machines a few times. Also try searching the forum for sampling topics. At the moment I don’t have as much forum time as I used to to explain step by steps but I know I and others have written the details of this stuff multiple times on the forum. Also you can still ask details here and folks will fill you in, ask away, but I know it’s all outlined in the forum somewhere, multiple places really… :slight_smile:

Give it time, it starts out seeming really complicated but later seems much easier once things start sinking in and you get the hang of it…

1 Like