Noob questions

We’re all equal participants in my book… :slight_smile:

1 Like

do you recommend I print out Merlin’s guide and read that too? Ya I’m a bit confused too but I’ll do some reading and hopefully it makes more sense… I’ll start searching the forums too but not to sure what I’m searching for:)

Most people will and I highly respect the document but to me it’s just one way of looking at the OT. I’d definitely read it but also realize there are many other ways to approach the machine, you will learn quite a bit from it though. I highly suggest reading the manual front to back, even if it doesn’t make sense at first you will for sure learn quite a bit of stuff that does. Use pdf search for features/parameters that apply to what your currently working on and read that section a few times as your working with the OT. After putting in time on the OT read the entire manual again, that time it will make more sense. Put in more OT time, repeat the above… :slight_smile:

Don’t worry about asking more questions here either, that’s what the forum is for…

1 Like

In general it seems to take a few months of determined OT learning to get a grip on the machine, it’s it’s own thing. It gets a lot easier after the initial learning wtf is this thing phase… :smile:

1 Like

I’ve read the manual many times but I dont mind reading it again… always discover new stuff… but returning to your suggestions a few posts back… in lamen terms I’m creating a loop?

It doesn’t have to be a loop but it’s easier to match OT patterns with it if it’s an even multiple of your pattern length. If your pattern is 64 steps, for (relative) simplicity I’d start with recordings of 64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024 steps… I gots to go for the day, I’ll probably check back in the evening…
Good luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

One last comment… :grin:
My main point was to use qrec to quantize recording launch, have the sequencer running before you start to record, and use one2mode to define a recording end as one of the above step numbers. This way the recording matches the bpm of your sequence and loops perfectly if needed, no editing will be required to make it fit… Of course you’ll have to hunt down more info on how to utilize those parameters…

1 Like

thx no rush… I wont get a chance to plug away at this till the end of the week… some silly thing called work is getting in my way :slight_smile:

Does the OT manual cover everything. I know its not the best written. But does it contain everything you need to know about the octatrack. Im assuming it does.

There is a certain combination of settings that is needed for Recorder Trigs to work in Flex Machine and this was not mentioned at all in the manual. I had to figure it out by watching certain videos very closely and asking questions.

That’s the one glaring omission that comes to mind for me. Perhaps they corrected it in a later version of the manual?

My early OT learning process was:

1. “Hmm I want to learn how to do X today”
  2. “Where’s X in the manual… Ok here it is”
  3. “WTF?!?! It doesn’t work!!!”
  4. <Goes to elektron-users/Elektronauts to ask questions>
  5. Repeat one or more of the above steps until resolved.

Note: I have a history of missing something in manuals or forum posts due to distraction/crappy vision/being a slow learner/etc.

2 Likes

In way, “yes”. But the OT is a complex thing, so the required informations for a specific task at hand may be spread out across the complete manual.

And, of course, there are tips and tricks (small and large ones) which can only be found here in the forum.

“Begin at the beginning," the King King Open_Mike said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

:wink:

4 Likes

Check out the Torpedo range of products: https://www.two-notes.com
they’re awesome.

Was going to get one, then I found the Katana amp on sale. After hearing comparisons of mic’d Katana speaker vs. Katana’s internal speaker sim, there is no way in the world I’d argue that it’s the best, lol, but it fit a lot of my needs for the money.

I just checked the manual and Recorder trigs is pretty sketchy. I see what you mean. Their assuming you will take part of the manual and then go hunt another part and put them together yourself. Although in Flex machines theres even less written. Basic operations should have a workflow covering all bases and scenarios. I guess its such a complex piece of architecture that to do so would need a manual a lot larger than the downloadable version. But i guess by now there leaning a lot on the community to fill in the gaps.

Yes indeed. My thoughts exactly.

1 Like

I’m curious as to why you think rec trigs are pretty sketchy? What about them throws you off?

1 Like

I have a noob question and its really bugging me! couldn’t find it answered anywhere but I am quite dyslexic…

I am using the octa with an mpc 1k, I send clock to mpc and listen to samples sequenced in it through a thru machine on track 1 with some filter settings set to the scenes

When I go to a new bank, to make a new beat, and play sounds from the mpc, without making any new thru machine, or having the input monitor up, I can hear the volume and scene settings of the last thru machine of the last bank… why?

and I can only cut it out when, still in this new bank, I mute the track that was the thru machine… even tho it is now a flex machine?? whats up with that?

sorry if this is totally obvious but its baffled me for the last couple hours

Okay, I’ve not a clue why, but it stopped. The question still stands though, if there was a reasonable explanation for that kind of behaviour I’d like to know what
happy wednesday

In the project menu there is a setting called SILENCE TRACKS. This controls whether the track of a previous pattern linked to a different part should keep on sounding or not when the currently active pattern starts playing.

By default it keeps sounding until a new trig gets executed.

You can change this either in the project menu for all patterns or in the pattern settings for each pattern separately.

4 Likes

Hi
No i was just referring to the manual. Theres not much written about them in various scenarios as the previous poster was mentioning.