Noob questions

Changing Memory Config settings clears all buffers. But apparently it stops playback.

Theorically you can record silence with rec trigs, disabling all AB/CD/SRC3 source by holding rec trigs.*
Theorically again you can use a pattern with a different part, change sources settings. I’d avoid part changes, I had REC SETUP “bugs” with part changes, with or without rec trigs IIRC.
To be tested!

*Edit : tested, it works. Hold a rec trig, unselect INAB /INCD. You have to select one source, so you can select SRC3 with “–” source.

1 Like

Is there a way to dump midi files of patterns? Or should I just point the OT midi out at a daw and hit record?

No.

OctaEdit has Midi Export functionality that handles Notes, MicroTiming and Parameter Locks.

Yes.

Edit: You’ll have to play around and see if you can capture Trigless Trigs / Trigless Locks / One Shot Trigs / Parameter Locks etc.

2 Likes

ty

So this guy made a video pointing some Octa’s downsides. Most of them i already knew and just got used to them.

But one got me worried : he said if you put a filter on a FX slot, even if you keep the filter completely open, it will degrade the sound. Is it true ? :thinking:

Currenlty i’m using a filter on my master channel. Shouldn’t i ?

1 Like

What do your ears say?

5 Likes

That’s @defenestration and he knows his shit when it comes to the Octa. Good vid too.

I haven’t done close comparisons before and after. Try it and like Rusty said, use your ears.

2 Likes

Here’s from the mothership:

4 Likes

Haven’t had much OT time lately but my last sessions I raised the resonance a bit when using a master filter for its fully open resting state (usually I raise it along with width/base changes using a scene) just to boost the high end a tad, a little extra sparkle…

3 Likes

Not noticeable on all audio material.
Noticeable on distorted material, high harmonic content, or after several resampling…
The worse fx in that concern is LOFI.

2 Likes

I also state in the video that the filter is probably my most used FX on Octatrack :smile:

however, in a setup where OT is the only sound source and/or is the final mixer, I would be extremely unlikely to use filter on the master bus; it dulls the signal and smears the phase (this degradation is most easily heard when processing full arrangements/mixes), which makes perfect sense as it’s an aggressive resonant filter and not a linear phase EQ :slight_smile:

9 Likes

To be honest i’m not noticing such a difference but actually i’m using a filter FX on C D inputs, where i’m pluggin the audio out from the Rytm. On my master channel i have only a compressor that simulates a limiter.

Thanks for answering and congrats for the video, very very good ! The funny thing is, after seeing your video i like my Octa even more :smile:

5 Likes

I have a million LOGxxxxxx.txt files on the root of my CF card. Is it safe to delete them ?

I loaded about 50 samples from my computer to the audio folder in the OT. They’re all in .wav format(converted from .mp3) and the OT only plays about 5 of the samples and the rest get sample load errors. Does anyone have an idea how I can get them all to play?

Make a book? Apparently just report files, all you need should be in your set(s) folder(s).

Probably a bad convertion. Make a good convertion with the right settings / software.
Uncompressed Wav or Aiff, 44.1 khz, 16 bit or 24 bit.

OT deserves better than mp3 files as source.

2 Likes

Thanks! They were being converted at 32-bit

1 Like

Quickquestion: why do I sometimes have stereo image issues when I’m recording from just a single recorder input (input A) I have a prefader aux send from my mixer. I am using TRS cable but it doesn’t happen all the time. Sometimes it seems like there’s slight phasing happening but that could just be my room but sometimes the whole Left or Right channel will be completely missing and I have to subtract from the opposite channel in the audio editor.

In REC SETUP, don’t you choose INAB = A ?

1 Like