Noob questions

Problem is the registration page says :slight_smile:

" Registration of products temporarily closed
Due to maintenance work, registration of products is temporarily closed until the end of
January 2019."

I guess i can do nothing unless wait…

3 Likes

Well that sucks! Sorry to hear that.

So i know the crossfader (sadly) can’t be used on midi tracks. But i’m curious because some days ago i was monitoring the Midi data coming from my gear and i noticed the Octa’s crossfader send a lot of Midi data (in channel 1 if i’m not wrong) when moved. This means it could be used to control Midi CC on the midi tracks… why not ?

1 Like

The fader outputs a single midi CC relative to its position. If it could send midi scenes, that would be 10x8 CCs, on top of 4x8 notes and 3x8 midi LFOs per step. Not to mention plocks. I think the designers determined that this volume of data could potentially crash external gear.

2 Likes

I have a trig with a midi note set to INFINITE length. How can i stop it to play in another pattern ? I tried to put a trig with a new note with a minimum length on the new pattern, but even with length equals 1, it will play for a fraction of a second…

Set a note with VEL = 0 (NOTE OFF).

With midi processors you can use the crossfader’s midi CC48 messages to map it to other CCs or any midi message. @guga’s Goliath is made for that.

Other applications :
Midi Processors with Octatrack

3 Likes

Wow, that’s clever, thanks :smiley:

2 Likes

In arranger mode, if you hit stop twice, the sequencer will go back to the first pattern in arranger. Is there a way to change this behaviour ? I want to avoid accidental stop-twice in a live situation… One accidental stop would be bad, but 2 would be terrible as it would go back to the start of the show :open_mouth:

This works for double stop in arranger mode too. :wink:

Or don’t stop at all and select a silent looping pattern (Arranger loop function).

3 Likes

Thanks for the idea, very clever again :stuck_out_tongue:

Speaking about live situation. Currenlty i’m in the process of create music to eventually do a live show. I know i can’t load a new project in the Octa without stoping the sound, so i’m thinking if would be possible to create a giant project with all my tracks’ (maybe 8 or 10 tracks) patterns, with all tracks’ samples, midi dat and so on. Is there any limitation / issue i could go with such a big project ?

this will help keep the beats banging while moving along to new tracks

I don’t play out so i haven’t experimented with this, but it is kinda a big deal :smiley:

2 Likes

Sounds nice but i wonder if wouldn’t be easier just great a giant project, with all your tracks in sequence. If i’m not wrong, you can create 16 patterns x 16 banks = 256 patterns. Join this the conditional trigs and p-locks and we get hours and hours of music.

My only fear is if such a big project could cause some instability ; is there anybody with experience working this way ?

The most obvious limitation is RAM size. All samples for flex machines for all your songs needs to be in the sound pool at the same time (unless you want to change the soundpool on the fly which isn’t really practical). Add to this the maximum recorder buffer requirements of your songs and you may hit the RAM limit.

Another limitation are global settings, because all songs share the same global settings and reconfiguring on the fly isn’t everyone’s cup of coffee.

But beside these two limitations it should be as stable as with single song projects.

4 Likes

Still closed… that’s a long maintenance shut-down. Mt OT is still unregistered…

I’m in the process to make a live set with about 12 songs / 1 hour. To do so, i will create a big project on Octa, with one song per bank.

I use Octatrack as master and Rytm as slave. Octa sends program changes to Rytm , so when Octa goes to pattern A2, Rytm also goes.

This works very well until the moment i realized Octa has 16 banks but Rytm only 8. So if i want a project with 12 songs, one song per bank, some songs on the Octa have to share banks on Rytm.

And now is the problem : is there a way to ‘override’ the program change automically sent by Octa ? Let’s say i’m on pattern H16 and when Octa goes to I01 (Rytm has no I01), i want to specify which pattern Rytm should go, let’s say H10 instead of I01.

Any way to do this ?

Thanks !

2 Likes

Yes. Instead of the default correspondence between pattern numbers on the two instruments, you can set MIDI Program Change numbers in the Parts that are linked to your OT’s patterns.

However, there are only four Parts for each of the OT’s 16 pattern banks.

And, of course, there are still only 128 patterns on the AR.

3 Likes

About conditional trigs, i know i can program like 1:2, 2:4 and so on. But what if i want the trig to play in all patterns, EXCEPT the last one ? For instance, in a 4:4, i want it to play on 1:4, 2:4,
3:4 , but NOT on 4:4 ?

Not sure but something like that :
Silent trig with A:B, followed by a /PRE with -23/384 microtiming.

1 Like

Thank you, i did not understand well but you gave me an idea : i could achieve what i was looking by doing the following :

1 - Mark all trigs on 4:4 as PRE with a upperline (these are the trigs i don’t want to play on 4:4)
2 - Put a green trig on the last trig of 3:4 with 4:4 condition.

Did the trick :smiley:

3 Likes

When in arranger mode, we can specify how many times a pattern should be played. Assuming i set to 4 times, is there a way to see where in this 4 repetitions the ‘cursor’ is current playing (2/4, 3/4 and so on) ?

If there isn’t, could be a really useful feature !